1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM subscription pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by grahamy, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not a sports fan, certainly am not a fan of Howard Stern, traffic condition reports are unnecessary in my area, and I have a library of great music CDs - so my XM will be allowed to expire after the 3 month free period expires.

I was thinking that maybe I could use the SAT push button to turn something else on or off. Any suggestions?

2. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if this helps but the 1yr Sirius subscription ran out on my Dodge product. I deliberately didn't renew because I heard that if they call you, you can get a better deal.

Sure enough 2 weeks after it ran out they called, regular rate is $14.99, I told them I wouldn't pay over $10/month. They came back and gave me a 1 year plan for 1/2 price. So $7.49/month if I paid for the year. I then gave them my credit card number and it's a done deal.

I've heard Sirius/XM is hurting $$$ so you can deal with them. It's actually refreshing for a change.... most companies won't do that...

3. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was driving this afternoon and had the Sat radio on. All of a sudden I heard a click and the sound muted, looked over at my audio screen and saw "Updating" on the screen for about 5 seconds. Then it went to Sat 1 and preview stuff - My presets were dead.

My car is 3 months and 1 day old. Bam - no more free sat. And personally not worth the cost for me. I just picked up an audio cable and new MP3 player, so I'm set...

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    DeanFL,

What did your MP3 Player and cable cost you?? Where did you get the cable as well?

Thanks!

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Cable (stereo) - Radio Shack 3' $6.

MP3 - Best Buy - SanDisk Sansa Fuze, 8GB, $100. (Less Gigs cheaper). I did a lot of research. Really wanted an Ipod Nano, but $150. Not worth the extra $ for my use. The Fuze is rated very highly. All the features I wanted +++. Sound is tremendous. Very nice in the car. I don't know why Toyota (well many manufacturers continue to put CD players in new cars.

6. mccats

mccats New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    MMM......Am hooked on the SAT radio, but for limited time spent in the car and the price of a subscription, it just isn't worth it for me. I'd consider it for $5.00 a month, but not any more than that. Will dig out the Nano for long trips when the free period is over.

Swanny, it's great that you got it for $7.49! When I get my call, will have to see if they bite for $5.00 a month.

7. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I called XM yesterday and asked if I could get the $77 special. my trial ends 11/09. The rep said sure. It cost $77 for 1 year of XM everything (no traffic), $11.78 artists royalty charge + sales tax.
    $7.39 a month for me. Great deal in my opinion.

8. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What number did you call? Any chance you remember the name of the rep? I'll do $77

9. PriusinSeattle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This past July 14, one day before the 3 month XM radio free trial was to expire in my '09 Tacoma, I phoned XM and was offered the $77 per year rate. I accepted and gave them my credit card number. However, two weeks later I received a bill in the mail from XM for $77 - they had no record of me paying. So, after several phone calls (each being over an hour long) with no success straightening this out, after receiving two more bills from them stating I still owed $77, after two phone messages from XM threatening a collections company on me, I sent them an email asking for their help and advice on how to straighten this out - they advised me to FAX proof of my payment. So, I faxed them a copy of my credit card statement which clearly showed my payment of $77 to XM radio. About a week later, I emailed their customer service folks to confirm that my XM account was now in order, but they emailed me back saying that their billing department had not yet received my FAX. Yesterday, they abruptly cut off my Satellite radio reception. I give up. I'll be contacting Bank of America today to retrieve the money I paid XM last July. No more satellite radio for me. Their incompetence has worn me out. :(

10. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you don't mind me asking, did they extend it 12 months from 11/09, or did they start the 12 months now? If it's an extension from the end of the 90-day trial, then I may go ahead and get in on this deal now. The deal could still be available in 2 months, but maybe not...

Thanks,
    Bryan

11. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've never used satellite radio and will have had my new Prius a week tomorrow. Does the dealer notify XM when the car is delivered, or how do they start the three month period? I've always just used on-air radio or CDs when traveling and can make up custom MP3 CDs with iTunes that play fine in this car, so I'm not thinking that I'll be interested in something else to pay for.

12. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealer should activate the 3 month trial, and it should be working when you pick it up.

13. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And how is XM going to collect the activation fee if the new owner isn't present to present his or her identification... IE a credit card to charge the future billing cycles to?
    I doubt XM is going to activate without the opportunity to continue the fiscal relationship.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Jim256 has it right. The dealer activates it with a serial no. and a phone call, I think. There is no future billing, unless you decide to call in and keep it activated. It just stops working after the 3 months is over. Of course it is still there, and runs an annoying come on promo if you hit the sat button. I may disconnect it entirely, if that won't screw anything up.

15. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine wasn't activated or even mentioned by the dealer. You can activate it from the web.

https://xmro-secure.xmradio.com/listenercare/login2.xm

It says you will need a credit card nember but when you type in the radio's serial number it will register as a demo without having to give a card number. You will need to have your car outside and turned on for the radio to pick up the activation signal. The site says within 15 minutes I think, but mine was less than five.

16. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You'll get a letter from XM a couple of weeks before the trial expires

17. urlyadoptr

urlyadoptr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd also like to know if your $77 1-year subscription starts when the 3-month trial ends, or is it effective immediately. If it's the former, I'll call ASAP to get the same deal. Otherwise, I'll let the trial run out and see what I can negotiate. Anyone? Thanks!

18. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine must have gotten lost in the mail...

19. GoSkins

GoSkins Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry for the bump but I thought some might want to know the $77 deal is still on. I called this morning and got the $77 + royalties per year coming out to $7.39 per month. Starts when my freebie ends next month. You are then offered a discounted 2nd year $142 instead of $164. The 2nd year is not billed until the end of the first one.

20. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If one only wants the Traffic, and not the "radio", what deals are available? Thanks, Gary