1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM, Video and Audio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Coastal Dave, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's quite awesome - you just need to 'leak' how to remove that "Please check your surroundings" text from the screen. :)

2. LMSellers

LMSellers New Member

Coastal Dave ...
    ... cool
    ... cool
    ... and way cool!
    Just popped over to your website and note that the XM solution is the only thing posted. When will we be able to purchase the whole "thing." I'm missing my XM (I have it on my other vehicle) and want to plug in my I-Pod for good measure.

Let me/us know when!

... you're a genius and the folks at Toyota better be standing up and paying attention to your brilliance.

3. LMSellers

LMSellers New Member

One more question ...

Dave ... will your solution work/integrate with any '04 system ... both the basic and the upgrade sound system?

Thanks.

4. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

The Ultimate

Coastal Dave -

You've probably seen on the boards how many Prius owners are also iPod owners. It's no wonder as Prius owners are obviously a tech-savvy, sophisticated bunch who seek the best, in both their personal transportation and their music transportation. This is why you're making an XM addition.

The iPod has the vast market share of MP3 players. There are so many iPod owners who are hungering for a way to integrate their devices into the Prius beyond a second-rate cassette adapter. I'm delighted to hear that you plan on producing an Auxiliary In addition. That will be very welcome.

But the ultimate addition would be true iPod integration -- a FireWire port that would bring the pure digital signal right into the Prius' audio system while displaying the track information on the view-screen, and intercepting the CD controls on the steering wheel to control the iPod. (BTW, the FireWire cable that connects to the iPod also charges it so this would make a cigarette lighter charger unnecessary.)

This would truly be a killer app. I encourage you to consider developing such a product.

Thanks for listening.

Mitchell Rose

5. chgomatt

chgomatt New Member

GREAT WORK, Dave!! :D If my '04 ever gets to the dealer I'll be sure to get in touch with you for this upgrade! But being the non-techie that I am I'm still a little confused. Can all of these gadgets be installed in a non-NAV, non-JBL equipped Prius? Will they function in the basic radio system and still be operable with the steering wheel controls?

If this has been answered in the posts already, I apopogize for not recognizing the tech talk that confirmed it.

Thanks again,
    Matt

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm guessing that will answer your question, though he hasn't answered it directly.

7. chgomatt

chgomatt New Member

<---- Jumping up and down, all excited like a little kid at Christmas...

COOL. Thanks for pointing my old eyes in the right direction Danny.

(This makes the wait even harder. Just think of all the new toys to play with and try to figure out while sitting in traffic on the Kennedy)

... and all that jazz

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah, same here, I have no interest in XM, but am very interested in the audio-in option. Video-in +/- backup camera option would be good too, but secondary.

And maybe an iPod holder too. ;)

9. Mat

Mat New Member

Re: The Ultimate

Mitchell,

I too would love such tight integration with my iPod, but I imagine it is quite a tall order. Nevertheless, I'm throwing in my vote as one who would quickly purchase any such modification.

Regardless, I still anxiously await a basic Aux-in audio jack kit/description as I figure out where to mount my iPod.

To notch another tally mark, I too am interested in everything but the XM radio aspect.

And finally, I too am completely blown away and impressed by the work Dave has done so far and plans to do. Extremely amazing stuff and i wish I could begin to understand how to do any of it.

-Mat Fleck

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased an XM unit for my classic last Tuesday. I am VERY pleased with the unit. I'm not sure yet if I'll look into having it integrated into the car yet or not.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a little confused. What unit did you buy, the one from PriusXM, the one from Coastal Dave, or some other type?

The PriusXM and Coastal's are, by definition, integrated units.

If you bought a different one it CAN'T be integrated (AFAIK)--you'll have to buy one from PriusXM or Coastal and uninstall the current one if that's the casa nd you want an integrated unit.

That's exactly the situation I'm in. Shortly after I got my Prius I had the XM Commander installed...now, greedy me, I want the integrated unit. Now I'll be out the cost of the install, the cost of the Commander, the cost of uninstalling the old unit (shouldn't be much) and the cost of installing the integrated unit. This XM thing is getting expensive!!

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the kit from Best Buy. I'm not too concerned about having "extra" stuff lying around as I have a 3/4 ton truck that often sees duty on highway trips. I could simply move the unit over to the truck if it cannot be set up to tap into the car's systems without having the wire mess that I have now. I did at least get the antennae wire tucked under the dashboard and trim along the floor, and all of the "excess" wire neatly coiled and wrapped. My dashboard is getting admittedly cluttered with all of my "toys" though.

13. pakman

pakman New Member

WOW! Cool!!!

Questions for Coastal dave;

1 - What model in dash dvd player is that?
    I have not seen one where you have the extra a/v inputs up front.
    2 - How much is that model?

3 - Does it just display to the touch screen MFD, or can you actually control it from there?
    (I am guessing no, but just checking).

4 - Does this thing work in conjunction to your normal (i.e. toyota) stereo?

5 - Can I install both an indash player (for my dvd/mp3) and the XM radio?

thanks!!!

Dave

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can always sell your Delphi Commander on ebay or in the Private Sales forum - there's bound to be someone who will take it off your hands and you'll recoup some of your costs.

15. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but I also intend to be able to use the unit in the Dodge truck. If I do spring for the integrated system later, I'd just leave the commander in the truck. With that, there isn't any costs to recoup.

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was actually referring more to Evan :)

17. quitesure

quitesure New Member

Re: The Ultimate

Actually, the Firewire cable does not transfer the signal, but is only used (1) to power the iPod and (2) to move data in and out of the iPod. Don't mean to be picky, but don't want to send Dave down the wrong path. :D

But as long as Dave is reading, I understand that Alpine is releasing a system this summer which will be very iPod compatible: it will have aux port in, and will allow the iPod to be controlled through the system controls, and show the iPod's menu information on the display. Something along these lines would, no doubt, be an incredible asset for we Prius/iPod users.

18. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I don't have an mp3 player yet, but will wait for an ipod hookup for my Prius. That would be awesome!

19. adefend

adefend New Member

cool stuff

20. adefend

adefend New Member

Dave, how much for the entire integrated XM and in-dash DVD/CD/MP3 PLUS aux. inputs installed? What brand/model number of in dash equipment are you using? Where exactly are you located in FL.?

Thanks...Silver BC/#9