1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM, Video and Audio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Coastal Dave, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dave -

If the Canadian 04 uses the same LAN protocol that the US ones do, then I would think the same solution would work for you.

Danny

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To elaborate, it would depend if the CD changer is in the DIN slot below the radio, or if it's integrated w/ the dash. If the former, the AVC-LAN port is already taken. If the latter, then the port should be open.

hope this helps,
    -Rick

3. hoferchr

hoferchr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alex has a nice write-up on how the installation process went for him with CoastalEtech. I'd like to see what others have to say about the installation of XM Satellite Radio from PriusXM.com (besides what's currenty on their website).

Thanks!

Chris

4. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One with its own display screen would be more expensive. The motorized pop-out displays must be pricey.

I'm hoping for one that fits the storage area under my radio. Someday I'll have to measure to see what will fit...

6. dmann

dmann New Member

fits fine...see 1st page of this thread...i actually found the one that coastaldave is using for the prius

first one on this page:

http://www.poweracoustik.com/products/dvdp...yers/index.html

goes for around $150 as well on most sites...

also has a tv tuner and has obviously been tested on the prius...i wonder how it is all connected though (guess thats why we need dave!)

i emailed him...no response...wish i knew when he would have this setup available to us.

-d

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, at least it's not just me... :|

8. Jon

Jon New Member

Hey Chris,

Craig posted a brief writeup on our install here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=410

but, you can certainly check the testimonials on our page (I promise these are real people) and I can even give you a phone number for one of the customers if you'd like to call them personally to discuss the install.

Customer feedback at Prius XM:
    http://www.priusxm.com/testimonials.html

The Prius XM main site:
    http://www.priusxm.com/

-Jon

Watch the Prius XM site for new products coming shortly!!

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <Bump>

Several unanswered questions are waiting for Dave to get to them.

Like, price and availability (installed) of the DVD/MP3 player...

10. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I installed Jon's PriusXM kit Saturday afternoon and am just loving it. It took me 2 hours end to end. I could have done it faster, but I was intentionally slow and methodical, and stopped often to review the installation DVD just in case. I figured it only takes a second to break a plastic trim piece...

Overall, I couldn't believe how simple it was with the video to guide me. I'm the guy who (embarassingly) calls AAA to change a tire since I'm not exactly "mechanically inclined". Guess this is sounding more like a testimonial for Jon's page, but the emphasis here is that the higher price for a factory unit that integrates with the display and controls is well worth it. You'd never know it wasn't there all the time, and since I have the bluetooth phone, I really appreciate the auto-muting and controls on the wheel.

If you do go for a lesser-priced system with its own controls and display, I personally wouldn't waste money on the FM-modulated equipment. The beauty of satellite radio is the superior high fidelity sound like your CD player. Passing it through FM loses the upper and lower sound range.

I was going to order the equipment from Dave originally, but I couldn't get an estimate of when units would be in stock (and I was anxious). Jon's PriusChat discount made the price difference that much less.

11. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

I'm wondering if anyone might know if the Prius Service Repair Manuals might have information concerning how to hook up something like this?

Even if I had this I'm not sure I'm brave enough to open up my Prius' dash board to look around, but it might offer insight for those who are more daring.

12. Jon

Jon New Member

13. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

The more the merrier.

In the very least, it would be a in dash DVD player like Dave shows which has external ports to plug something else in. Take on anything else to that list and I'm all for it! :p

At the very least I'd want to do the above and make sure that things are ready to easily expand on in the future.

Edit:
    Pointing out the possibilities to a friend, he mentioned I should put together a MAME System. So I'd need something to plug in an external computer to... just to show him it could be done. ;)

14. coondognd

coondognd New Member

Hoagie,
    I'm with you on the MAME system. I don't have my Prius yet, but I'm very interested in building a PC (with DVD drive, mp3 player, MAME, etc) to hook up to the video screen.
    I'd like to find a good resource about how to access the video inputs, steering wheel controls, etc. Has anyone documented this sort of info (preferably even with behind-the-dash photos)?

Kevin

15. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

I'm not aware of anyone who has brocken down the internals to the video input. I mentioned the service manual (a few posts up) which might have that information in it, but since I am unwilling to crack open my dashboard just to look. Thankfully some folks, like Coastal Dave, don't seem to mind so much. :)

It would rock if someone could post some details about the a/v interface to the Prius (*hint*hint*). If the information is ever hinted to and/or I get brave enough to check things out, I'll certainly post everything I did and all my insights of whatever I do.

Jon,
    Do you have any specs about the expantion compartment and what is hiding behind it, that you might be willing to share? :)

16. rflagg

rflagg Member

I did pay the $10 for techinfo.toyota.com to access the one day of unlimited downloading for their manuals - talk about really trying to make you buy more than one day! Quite a few are just one page pdfs for the different manuals, that open in a seperate window, that you then have to save as a file, etc.

Anyways, I do have the complete wiring manual, not to mention the new car features manual, and the full repair manual (that one clocks in at around 2300 pages) - the total amount of files I downloaded for that one day access was 1500+, so it is do-able to get all the manuals just for that $10, but get ready to do lots of clicking! :)

-m.

17. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

Thanks for the link rflagg. I grabbed the "New Car Features" and "Wiring Diagrams" manuals, with only mild amounts of pain.

I started to download the Repair Manual, but gave up somewhere in the Diagnostics section. I ended up picking out the "Audio & Visual System" and "Instrument Panel" sections, which seems to be what would be important for what this thread is looking into. Have you gone through the docs, and noticed anything else that might apply?

I'm probably not going to try and download anything else, unless I become aware of another section that relates to this. Since I will not be repairing anything on my own, I should be ok. If I ever have the need for the whole Repair Manual, I'll buy it... far too much click for me to obtain the whole thing and maintain my sanity. :|

Now we'll see if I can actually use any of this information to any useful degree. :lol:

18. rflagg

rflagg Member

Yeah, I still need to go through the repair manual and put in tabs for each section, etc. I didn't even get the *full* version, keeping out the sections specifically related to non SS/SE keyfob problems/solutions, because I have the SS/SE system, and have no need for that.

Fortunately for me, I work for a printing company, so during my slow times at work I'm going to go through and organize the repair manual a bit and then print out a hard copy to just throw on the shelf if the need ever arises. Personally though, with all the possibilities of modding this car, I think the wiring manual alone is worth the $10, and that was only what, 120 or so files to download, so not bad at all.

-m.

19. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe I'm missing something here. I scanned through the list of responses looking for a price for the kit to install a rear view camera in my Seaside #7 Prius. There are lots of kudos for the kit, and hints of a price, but, is there a price quote I missed? I'm not interested in satellite radio nor having a DVD player in my dash (isn't that a safety hazard and possible illegal?), so I'd lbe interested in the camera kit apart from the DVD and XM radio. Is that possible, or do we need to buy the whole setup?
    As postee number 80 something on this subject, I expect it may be a while before my post is even spotted...no rush here, just curious techie mind at work.
    Bob

20. rflagg

rflagg Member

Bob,

It's been awhile since we've heard from CoastalDave about the 'fully integrated' package, which includes XM, DVD, and the rear camera. From what he's said in the past though, each of these should be available seperately if needed. So far though all he has available to order for the 2004 Prius is the XM kit via his website, www.coastaletech.com. He does show the camera kit for the earlier model Prius, but I'm guessing it's different. I'm not sure yet if Jon from Priusxm.com is looking at doing a rear-camera kit, but he too offers mod kits.

I'm here holding my breath waiting for CoastalDave to come back, because I'd prefer having the rear camera with my XM (which I need to live), but we need the money for either, first. :)

-m.