1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XW30 battery on EBAY. Compatible with NHW11?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Rob Thomas, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Rob Thomas

Rob Thomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The Gen3 (2010+) Modules are an improved version of the Gen2 (2004-2009) modules and are physically the same dimensions. They can be used to upgrade a Gen1 (2001-2003) HV battery, but you will need 38 balanced modules - more than the 28 modules that are in the newer batteries.

JeffD

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is no such Prius as an "XW30". Toyota has never called any Prius that and I know of no labels on Priuses with XW30. There is the ZVW30, aka Gen 3 Prius liftback.

It really irks me that some "genius" behind the Wikipedia entry decided on conventions that Toyota doesn't use. I don't have the time or inclination to change it, change everything associated with it and worry about having the changes undone.

4. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you suppose this HV battery weighs??
    As for the Aux battery, I don't think it would be worth the cost of freight to ship it since it will have a different MSDS classification and higher freight rate. I already looked up the MSDS sheets on these.

Steve

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The weights should be in the ERGs at TIS.

6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I hope someone from here was the winner. It went for $635.88. I was interested in it but the shipping to the Pac NW would have been about $200 just for the HV battery and required I provide MSDS.

Surprisingly, the HV battery type, Nickel Metal Hydride is in the lowest haz. mat. catabory while the aux battery is much higher because of the acid content.

Well, anyway it was a good "drill" in finding shipping costs and procedures for these batteries.

I have noticed that the Gen II batteries have been going for around $800 on ebay while on CL they have been asking $1000 for them. I managed to get a good Gen II battery from a Chop Shop (legit) for $600 because he was afraid of the HV. Maybe just as well.

Anyway, it is nice to have spare battery around since the second Prius (gen II) has a questionable battery and I want to swap it out and recondition or replace any bad modules.

Thanks for the heads up Rob. (BTW. I didn't bid on this, just observed to see what it might go for and shipping costs)

Steve

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, people have rebuilt a NHW11 battery w/ ZVW30 modules. The only problem is, you will need 38 as jd said.

8. Rob Thomas

Rob Thomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just thought I would post it in hopes someone could get a good deal. When I posted it was only at $168 with 4 hours left. It looks like it got bid up after that.