1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Y Do Prius drivers drive like their 80 years old?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Apr 25, 2011.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I drive my car like I'm 45 years old, but I ride my bike like I'm 20!

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's how it should be done. Let's hope you can maintain both those ages for as long as possible. :)

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Watch out for the old guy!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did you say 20 years old ? :D

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    16?

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's more like it ;)

7. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like ProTips as much as any one else... but... I'm obviously an ellipsis-man... and I'm sure many times improperly placed in the minds of my fellow members...

And you're saying I shouldn't use em in my emails either... shoot.

ed's gonna get teh grammar nazis all up in your stuff's too Bra... and it's a contraction sonny... you are = you're...

In addition... you really need to get thicker skin in here... it ain't like anyone was mentioning your writing flair wasn't understandable... I think you were just hearing a little poke of fun at you, and you are taking it all wrong... furthermore, what you said in response was a juvenile and with an unnecessary coloration added merely to incite another member to say something perhaps just as inciting as your comment in bold... and with that, a thread that was having an adult conversation with some humor, irony and witty comebacks is reduced to name-calling with someone that ensures we, the other members, can see you don't care about your words enough to use em correctly anyways Bra...

Yeah... lighten up ed...

Just saying...

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some of us are.

9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Getting up on one wheel helps to get over some rocks or sticks... so this is you... :thumb::thumb:

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's me doing fun. Here's me doing serious:

[​IMG]

Maybe 16 is still too mature...

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is a serious hazard. Some lady in the fast left lane today on the interstate was going 60mph. Not too unreasonable, but that lane is posted at 65mph and typically flows at 80mph+. It was her, some SUV box thing riding her butt and weaving side to side like "I'm gonna pass on the shoulder if you don't move" type driving. Then behind the SUV was some mercedes sedan, a state trooper, myself, and some other big SUV behind me. The lady did not like the SUV on her but, and JAMMED on the brakes. Not a little love tap, but seriously force stopped to low 30's speed. Yes everyone including the cop was following very close because someone was going too slow, and everyone barely missed.

The SUV driver cuts off someone in the middle lane to pass this crazy lady on the right and she speeds up. I would have done the same if the cop wasn't right there. So the SUV gets blocked behind someone in the middle lane and the lady slows down again so that she goes the same speed as the middle lane. Thankfully the patrol officer had enough of this and pulled the crazy lady over. I hope she gets jail time.

Doesn't matter if you don't have to go fast, be courteous to those around you even if they are not. It doesn't have to be law, to make it nice. If someone is behind you and obviously wants to pass, just move over if there is room. There is no reason to force your attitude upon others. Those in a hurry are probably already aggressive. No need to fuel the fire by pissing them off more. What do you gain? Even when I am going fast, if someone comes up behind me, I move over and they pass. Then I can move over and pass others.

Misplaced slow driving causes fast drivers to drive more aggressively and make more risky maneuvers. Nobody is forcing you to go over the speed limit, but if someone comes behind you and there is nothing more-left for them to pass, and there is something to your right where you can tuck in for a split second, then do so. Save everyone some grief...

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dude,

I'm not saying poking in the fast lane does not happen, but it is greatly exaggerated. Internet forums and online article comments have people that make it seem slowpokes kill waaaay more people than gearheads - really?

You are nice personuming that myself and others intentionally/cluelessly drive to hold up other drivers, even after stressing I go to lengths to stay right and let others by....may not be you, but I know others DECLARE I go 40 in the HOV lane anyway - just like I MUST be a "gay communist" {sigh}

Daily on US roads 90-100 road fatalities occur. Most of them are caused by drinking and drugs. Add some distracted driving. Speed is a big factor in many of them. Seriously, if all slowpokes disappeared from the roads tomorrow, would the fatality rate change significantly?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i see it every once in a while, but very unusual. when you do, you have to wonder what planet they are from. most problems are in the right lane, people trying to drive the limit and others trying to do 20 over.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We see it up here, but that's because we don't have divided highways. Our highways are two lanes, one for each direction. Some of the better highways have a passing lane here and there to help with long uphills, but other than that you are stuck with the flow of traffic. A good example is the US highway that goes through the "big city" in the area. That highway has a speed limit of 35 mph.

Tom

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah so the dangerous driving? Mostly the following cars. Including the cop and apparently including you?

I'm not championing the idiot who slammed on her brakes... but you get the idea.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    They were tailgaiting because they are dangerous drivers. If I see someone (like the lady) driving poorly, I increase my distance from them.

1 person likes this.
  17. JimEshleman

JimEshleman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm 54 and I admit that I drove my former car, a 2009 Sion TC, more aggressively than I do my new 2011 Prius. Then again my insurance rates have dropped, and I've noticed that the cars that are all so anxious to get around me are gas-hog cars, trucks and SUV's. With so many people driving with their egos instead of their heads, it's no wonder the price of gas is so high.

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't say slow people cause deaths... Aggressive and fast drivers cause deaths. Drugs/Alcohol are a completely different issue.

The problem is aggressive drives get agitated more when behind someone they deem slow. This makes them a danger to everyone else. It's like a charging bull, get out of its way or something bad is likely to happen.

And I see slowpokes in the left lane all the time. It is their right to drive in the lane at the posted limit, no argument there. But when they piss off someone behind them so much that they swerve to pass on the right cutting cars off in the process, that even more dangerous situation was created because of a slower driver not doing what was expected of them. You may move over like I do to others who want to pass, but around here it is pretty rare.

They and I were following closely because we were getting impatient. The passing actions are:

1) pull up nicely behind them, and wait a bit at a safe distance hoping they move
    2) flash your highs a couple times to snap them out of their daydream so hopefully they move over
    3) Ride their nice person to get them to move over
    4) swerve around them on the right

The posted vs. actual speed limit argument is pointless. Legally the post limit is the maximum. Nothing is ideal. The actual speed limit is what the road bears. If you were doing Mach 3 and someone came up behind you, it is not your place to keep them going Mach 3. Let them get to 'c' if they want. If the state deems this illegal or unsafe, they will be ticketed. You cannot issue tickets, so all you do is aggravate them more.

I drive over the speed limit, and I do not expect others to. I do expect others when they have ample and safe room to allow others like myself to pass, do so.

And everyone did stop in time, so it just proves even more so that those driving were going as close as possible to send the "get the f out of the way" message while still leaving enough room to stop.

19. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone make a list of places where people do not go slow in the left lane. I want to move to one of them.

NY was great, they had signs telling you to stay out unless passing and it generally worked.

Atlanta...not so great.

20. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2K1Toaster,

I tried not to single you out on my previous reply, even if I quoted you.

In the Dallas area where I live and most other cities, going below the flow in the fast or HOV lane is rare because they simply won't be tolerated.

Maybe you like in a fairly rural place/small urban area...I can see where the driving behavior would be different from Dallas/Boston/LA.

What I say now is a consensus of hundreds of posts over the years in forums and comments on online articles.

- Countless rants about hypermilers, slowpokes, and even people just going the posted speeding limit as the most hated drivers on the road, calling them the most dangerous drivers on the road.

- 100-90 US fatalities daily on our roads

- Around 2/3 of those deaths involve drugs/alcohol

- At least 3000 annually are killed from distracted driving.

- The said ranters WISH everyone would believe slowpokes account for most wrecks, but when you read the news or drive in gridlock around a wreck it's generally the exact opposite.