1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yakima Rack install on the 2009 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smartalec89, Apr 20, 2009.

1. smartalec89

smartalec89 The Official Alaskan

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just finished the install of my new Yakima roof rack. I used the Q5/Q124 set up. This couldn't have been easier to install once the measurements were correct. The M1, M2, M3, and M4 measurements must be done correctly for the install to work. If you are a little off it will not fit right. I was able to put the entire kit and fairing on in just under an hour. I used the Yakima kit because the Thule system looked cheap and poorly designed. I suggest the fairing because otherwise you get a whistling sound. I tried with and without it to compare. I like the over all look of them and they look sturdy...I don't think they will ever fly off. The Q5 fits way better in the front I tried switching them and it looked like it could come off easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks really nice. I am more of a Thule guy since I feel they are more secure with the square bars. But, this time around I went with a hitch for my bike rack, you can't put skies back there though. But, it is nice to be able to put a ball back there to prevent parking bumps from the rear.

1 person likes this.
  3. KJColumbo

KJColumbo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I haven't gotten my Prius yet (probably a few months away), but I was hoping to find some people that have put a roof rack on. I am a Thule guy too, mainly because that was the first rack I had back on my 96 Dodge Neon. I'll still probably keep the rack on my Jeep Liberty, but will also want one on my Prius. Any pics with mounts and bikes would be great to see too!

4. smartalec89

smartalec89 The Official Alaskan

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I considered doing the thule rack but I don't think it will work so well on the prius. I am looking a getting a couple kayaks so that will be my first mount purchase. I will be looking more into biking later this summer maybe fall. I will post pics as soon as it all happens.