1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yakima roof rack question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bohous, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have held on to my old Q-tower rack that I had on my Matrix but have yet to set it up for the Prius. I don't want to roll with the rack 365 since I only actually need it a few times a year (getting kayak to and from it's summer home plus a few bike trips) and don't want the year round mileage hit. However, I just looked the Prius up on Yakima's fit guide and they recommend 58" bars but I currently have 48s. This might be a better question for Yakima but wanted to ask here first, is anybody using 48" bars or do you know if 48s will work with the towers spread to the ends?
    If using the rack requires me to buy new bars in addition to the new clips I might just sell the rack and use foam blocks for the kayak and buy a separate hatch mount bike rack. I like the versatility of the roof rack and might need a cargo box someday but I could always readdress that situation when the time comes. Anyway, just trying to decide to refit or sell and would appreciate input, advice or suggestions.

2. gamiller

gamiller New Member

3. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gamiller @ Mar 10 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]403474[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, I've been through that page before. He has the 58" bars as recommended by Yakima but if you look at the 3rd photo down (the rear view), it looks like there could be ~5" of bar left on either side of the towers thus technically making 48" bars feasible in theory. The Saris system does seem very nice, especially since I would probably be taking it on and off a few times a year but cost is a factor. Maybe tomorrow I will just spread the bars as far as they will go and set it up there to see. Without the front/rear spread specs it won't be perfect but probably enough to tell if it would work.

Also, I have seen a couple references to Prius requiring only Q124 clips but according to the Yak site they recommend Q5 and Q124, presumably different size for front and rear. Can anybody clarify this?

4. gamiller

gamiller New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ Mar 10 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]403483[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know , but I would like to know how you make out.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From what I remember, the clips I used were the same front and back. But that was long enough ago that I won't swear by it! If somebody can confirm, I'd like to keep my page accurate!

As for the bar length - I thought the same thing. And for the rear, you probably could barely get away with it (the rear is narrower than the front). But really, I maked 48" on the bars when I was installing them and realized that you'd be on the ragged end of them. The bars themselves aren't all that expensive. While you could get away wtih cutting off several inches (as I've done with most of my installations, actually) I really do recommend that you at least start with the 58" bars. They won't get in your way. What's the reason you want to use 48" bars? That you already have them? That's the only reason I can think of that makes sense. And that's why I was considering it... and ended up buying the 58"

6. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 10 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]403499[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I already have 48" bars.

I guess I could suck it up and just buy the 58". They would certainly look better too but that's hot a huge factor. New bars and clips would set me back about $120. Offset that by what I would pay for a good hatch mount bike rack and decent kayak blocks I guess it's not that bad. It's just that I don't really use it all that much but with the family expanding and growing I think it would be a wise investment.

7. jupitercrash

jupitercrash New Member

I have the same situation, 48" Yakima bars and a fairing left over from my previous car (plus bike and ski attachments). If I could use them on the Prius, then I might stick with the roof rack. Post if you managed to get the 48's to work. I was surprised that the Prius takes such wide bars.

Also, has anyone using Yakima racks found them very easy to take on and off? Apparently there are newer Q-Towers than the ones I have that make this easier. If I go the roof rack way with this car, I would definitely want to remove it when I'm not likely to be using it.

8. malcolm

malcolm New Member

I had a tule roof rack that fit very well. I would say was somewhat difficult to install and the screws in the tower very prone to stripping if not perfectly aligned. It looked good and worked well, but cost me about 7mpg. I changed it for a saris ride on hitch rack. It looks like crap but is very easy to use and much less mpg drop. For what it is worth I've had numerous racks on many different cars, mostly yakima and for my dollar yakima is a superior roof rack. I chose tule because that was all that was available at the time and it was very nice but frail during the install.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The roof of the Prius is quite wide compared to similar-sized cars. The the sides of the car don't roll into the middle as on most cars (and this is one reason the car doesn't so as well in cross-winds). So there's where the longer bars come into play.

As for installing/removal... It is "easy" but takes too much fussing for my taste - which is why I finally went with the permanent landing pads. No fussing, no guess work. Literally drop them into the holders and snap them closed. Takes longer to type than to do. Aligning the "clip on" ones can be a chore, though the actual clipping part is no big deal once they're in the perfect location. The Prius is especially sensitive to positioning as the roofline flares so much toward the front. Even half an inch either way can mean the difference between too tight and too loose.

I like to take my racks on and off quite often, so the permanent solution was the best for my use. It was also much more work and risk to install.

10. Clar

Clar Member

i have yakima sets w/ 58" bars. Then I traded them to my coworker for her 48". It has about 1" clearance off each end. I was going to cut down that 58" to 50" if my coworker didn't want the bars i bought.

58" is too long for prius, in my opinion. when I had it, I had to watch my head when i go in and out of car. I always afraid I'll bump my head with the bar stick out so far from the top edge of the car.

11. Mr07touring

Mr07touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ Mar 10 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]403439[/snapback]</div>
    Hi
    I just measured mine - you need 46" min for bars - thus you will have about 1" overhang/side on the front set, rear set is 1" narrower so you'll have 1 1/2" overhang. This is the Yakima recommended setting 8" back from windshield to front edge of front foot and 30" bar spread.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The USER-GUIDE shows & describes the setup I have for carrying 2 kayaks on top.

I actually recommend even longer bars, for the sake of easier attachment & removal. Leverage is difficult with less available for gripping.

13. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Clar and Mr07, that's what I wanted to hear. I'm sure the 58" are optimal but for my use I think if I can get by with the shorter bars I already have I'll just do that.

BTW, I checked a fit guide at a local outdoors store today and the Yak book says Q124 clips (2 sets) but the site is still telling me 1 set Q124 and 1 set Q5 clips. I guess I'll contact Yakima to confirm but I'm inclined to thing 2x Q124 is right.

14. mtskier

mtskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i have 58" bars on my prius. while 48" bars may work, you would be better off cutting 58" down to 50" or so. while 58 may seem too long, its very conveinent to put a bike rack or half of a cargo box "outside the towers." it makes loading and unloading much easier not having to reach over the roof.

yakima recently updated the prius fit to use q 5 (front, i think) and q 124. people were having trouble installing the rack with front and back q 124. the new fit is only rated for 125 lbs vs 165 lbs for the old fit. both fits will work and work well. i have 2 q 124s. the yakima rack has a wider bar spread (more stable) than the thule option. it also comes off much easier/quicker. small tip for taking rack off and on...

-take a marker and trace the outline of the clips inside the door jam. that way you know exactly where the clips should be placed every time you take the rack off and on.

this site has a bunch of prius rack photos.
    http://www.backcountryracks.com/index.aspx...r_rack_installs

kayak blocks are sketchy at best. nothing holding anything in place except for straps...which will adjust and loosen over time. i wouldn't want to put that much weight resting on the roof.

15. imfletcher

imfletcher New Member

Hello All,

I recently added a Yakima rack to my Prius for a family trip to Disneyland at the end of the month. Instead of buying the Load Warrior or even the Basketcase (way too expensive if you ask me), I just went down to my local wood supply and bought a sheet of Baltic Birch Plywood and made my own. We'll just use it for some of our baggage and other fairly light stuff, but I think it came out pretty good and serves the purpose. Having four people in the prius for up to 15 hours at a time I figured we could use all the elbow room we could find.

I used the 48" bars and two Q124 clip kits on mine without any problem.

I've attached a picture of my rack incase anyone is interested.

Thanks for a great forum,

Pat

Attached Files:

16. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ Mar 11 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]403893[/snapback]</div>
    For the record, I just got off the phone with Yakima customer support. The recommended clips are one pair of Q5 and one pair of Q124. The Q5s go on the front. The measurements are as follows: M1=42.5", M2=10", M3=40", and M4=30".

17. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanP @ Jul 2 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]471468[/snapback]</div>
    Having completed the installation, I think the Q124s would have been a better bet than the Q5s. The Yakima rep with whom I spoke said they changed their recommendation because customers were having difficulty with installation. But the Q5 clips are not nearly as nice a fit as the Q124 clips. The Q5s ride on the outside of the little rim near the side of the roof, whereas the Q124s have a notch to fit half outside and half inside the same little rim. And the measurement for M3 needed to be modified somewhat because the measurement for M2 pushes the rack back about 2". I had to adjust M3 to 40.25" (and could have gone just a tad wider) to get the Q124 clips to seat properly.

18. awai08

awai08 New Member

Hi All,

As a new '07 prius owner, I immediately wanted to put a Yakima rack on my car. Like the original poster, I had an existing (1.5 year old) rack from a VW Golf/GTI. Not wanting to compromise, I ordered what was recommended: 58 in bars and the Q5/Q124 combo.

Re. the 48/58" bar debate, I'm with the rest of the thread. 48" is just about enough (with about 1.5" overhang on the rear, 0.5" --close --overhang on the front), unless the driver wants to put bike trays on the outer edges of the bar. Since I'm not doing that, I've sent the 58" bars back where I bought'em.

The Q124 set fits the rear, and the Q5 set fits the front. Microadjustments will be necessary to make sure that the L-bend of the clips lie flush with the contours of the door sills.