1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yakima Whisbar

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Matt H, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Just installed a set of Yakima Whisbars. Expensive compared to other racks, but very nice, and a quality set up.

The "wing" contour follows the roof line, so if you're adding J hooks, or something like that, the accessory may not sit vertical. I use pads and a Yakima Big Stick for Kayaks, surfboards, etc., so not a big deal. Good for aerodynamics, though, as it won't dirty the air going over the roof as much.

The end covers contain a wrench and Allen wrench, so you can remove the bars, even if you don't have a tool kit in the car.

The mount kit has grips that are formed specifically for the C's door sills. Very nice, clean fit.

Spacing on the racks in the picture is 73cm, and a minimum of 70 is recommended, so you shouldn't really put them closer together then this.

The Whisbar racks are rated for something like 80kg for the pair, but the roof on the C is thin aluminum, so the car has a 40kg rack limit. Explained in the manual. Not a rack problem, but a car problem... Won't stop me from carrying two kayaks at 55lb each. Just have to be gentle loading them.

2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I assume it can be set up for bikes? Do the specifications also talk about vehicle speed in addition to payload restriction?

Depending on the aerodynamic characteristics of a mounted item, it can cause more loading than the rating.

3. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

Nope. Just the maximum weight.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got them for my minivan. I was able to get a lower price on EBay for open box version.
    I had to adjust/fix the mechnism a little on one side, that may be why the first owner returned it.
    Not as robust as the Saris we have for the Prius, but Saris is no longer made so Whispbar and Thule version are the equivalents.

5. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, they were over $500, but ORS sent me an email telling me they were back ordered for a week, and that there was a sale the next week, so they gave me a $100 discount.