1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yaris Beware!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by The Electric Me, Feb 9, 2012.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it comes along with expanding a product line, inevitably. But "yesterday" in the Prius C introductions, Bob Carter went out of his way to define Prius C as the gateway vehicle for the Toyota Hybrids. Illuminating the thought that as a small urban commuter and at the affordable entry price, Toyota feels the Prius C will bring new buyers to the segment NOT pull buyers from the regular Prius hatchback.

I agree...that's probably going to be true in most cases.

Where I diasgree? He went on to say that Toyota didn't feel it would pull from the Yaris.

I have to disagree. I think Prius C will pull a lot of potential Yaris buyers away from Yaris.

Before, if you were young, or looking for a inexpensive but new daily driver or commuter but couldn't afford a Prius....the Yaris was the compromise you probably made. Now? If you are looking at a sub-compact hatchback, and want efficiency? Why would you pick a Yaris over a Prius C?

Unless you are totally afraid of HSD, and simply want by choice to avoid a Hybrid, I think the Prius C easily trumps Yaris. So I don't know if I believe Bob Carters assertion that Toyota doesn't foresee Prius C pulling buyers away from Yaris.

I don't think there is anything Toyota can do about it. You make new and better products they are going to compete against existing products. But I think Prius C does compete with Yaris, (maybe on a lesser level even with Corolla) and even Scion's smaller product line.

A few years ago, Toyota used to contend that the long term plan was to offer a hybrid version of every model vehicle they sold. I never fully bought that company line either.

I think The Prius family IS Toyota's Hybrid line. I think the Hybrid Camry is the not so distant relative that add's a comfortable sedan to the mix.

I never expect I'll see a Hybrid Corolla, or a Hybrid Yaris. And despite of optimistic hyperbole, my guess, or speculation is that indeed Prius C will steal a significant portion of buyers away from Yaris, on paper? I don't see how it can't.

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know, a starting price of 18k versus a starting price of 15k is a big price difference for that segment,. For that reason and for the Hybrid fear factor I tend to believe Yaris will still be viable.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the outline drawings I saw, the C was essentially the same size as the Yaris. The biggest stumbling block to siphoning off Yaris sales would be price, but for potential Yaris buyers that are looking at an Yaris for reasons other than it being the cheapest US available Toyota I agree with you.

That said, I think most Yaris buyers are buying it because it's the cheapest US available Toyota.

4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even for younger buyers with potentially less expendable income I don't think a $3000 financeable buy in difference is going to make a big difference.

Imagine if Gas approaches $4.50 or more a gallon? You are going to look at the Hybrid gas savings alone, and figure you'll make a large portion of that back over the course of ownership.

The products are just getting too good.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Toyota website shows a $5k difference. Even with low 2.9% factory financing (youth maybe not?), that's about $120 more a month over a 4 year note. The C's fuel savings is only $45/month as per fueleconomy.gov

6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all mostly just opinion, but even at those numbers, subtract the gas savings and would you pay $75 dollars more per month for a Prius C? I would. Of course, I'm also believing I'm going to keep and operate the vehicle well beyond 4 years.

Once you get it paid off? Almost double the MPG's is REAL nice.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

feature for feature it is $3k...

... electric me - toyota probably researched enough to see that yaris and prius c might not have same type of buyers... those sophisticated young buyers might be buying some other cars right now, not yaris.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well technically they're here but in Europe (Yaris Hybrid and Auris Hybrid). So they are on their way of offering a hybrid option in every vehicle, just not in every market.

As for Yaris vs. Prius c. It'll be a price thing. Someone looking for basic transportation will see a $14k Yaris (auto) and a $19k Prius c. Yes feature-for-feature, the difference may be closer but for someone on a tight budget, they may Figure that the Yaris is a safe bet (the maintenance schedule on a Yaris really could fit on a sheet of paper for the first 60,000 miles lol. Nothing's major is changed until 96,000KM [~60,000 miles])

9. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a segment of the car buying public that is incredibly price sensitive. The base price of the new Yaris is just over $14k. The base price of the C is a touch under $19k - a difference of almost $5k.

To me the bigger comparisons are the % and the payments for someone financing. The C costs over 35% more than the Yaris and if you were financing it the payment would be close to $100 a month more (60 months, $1k down and 4.5%).

I know that now I could afford either but back when I was young the choice would have been absolutely cut and dry - the C would not have stood a chance.

Last thing - keep in mind that Toyota has completely redone the Yaris. I always though the old one was just hideous - the new one looks pretty good and from the reviews is a much more competitive car now. In the past I wondered how any were sold - put the Yaris next to the Honda Fit and why would you get the Yaris?

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Yaris Hybrid or Auris Hybrid sell anywhere The Toyota Aqua or Prius C sells?

Toyota may juggle offerings. And hey, maybe I'm flat out wrong. But in my lifetime? I'd be suprised if I ever see a Hybrid option for every ICE offering.

This however, is the type of thing I would have no problem being wrong about.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure the Yaris Hybrid has been launched so we'll have to wait to see. I suspect the Prius c is for NA and the rest of the world gets a Yaris Hybrid (maybe except Japan where they'll get both).

I suspect the next round of redesigns will fill in the gap - Avalon, RAV4 and ES... maybe IS (though I doubt it). So we're left with the Matrix, Sienna, Venza, 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, GX and LC/LX in North America.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

unless for smaller than Yaris, I can guarantee you that Toyota Europe will have almost all cars with hybrid version.

Right now it is Yaris HSD, Auris HSD, Prius, Prius v... they will add Rav4 when it gets redesigned this year, and probably Avensis eventually because it is due in redesign in 2 years.

They will have their core lineup then as hybrids (Aygo, Yaris, Auris, Verso, Avensis, Rav4 are considered 6 core models for TME)... Aygo is too small and cheap for hybrid and Verso is already Prius v in disguise (well vice versa actually :p).

We already know Avalon hybrid is coming this year, as well as ES hybrid.

So lets sum this up, for USA, they will have: Prius,c, Prius v, Prius, Camry Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid, Rav4 Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid, CT200h, ESh, RXh, GSh, LSh, by the end of the year... i say thats a lot of hybrid models :).

As to the Auris Hybrid, for some weird reason, Auris Hybrid outsold Prius in Europe for 2011. With proper pricing, Yaris HSD will sell pretty well in Europe.

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I wasn't aware that Toyota already offered so many Non-Prius hybrid models. Which I suppose I should be ashamed about considering the amount of time I spend here at Prius Chat.

But? It is something I feel good about being wrong about. The more efficient, economical options available? The better for the world and everyone.

14. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Prius C is close enough to an actual Yaris that the debate about whether it is a competitor to it and/or it cannibalises its sales is almost irrelevant.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

keep in mind that in Europe, it is perfectly fine to have many engines on sellection... For instance, Avensis sells with 1.6l, 1.8l, 2.0l petrols and 2.0l, 2.2l, 2.2 180HP diesels. 3 of these also come with automatics. And it is low volume car.

16. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Auris Hybrid is a fairly solid seller (I think it doubled its initial sales expectations). A colleague has recently bought one, and I doubt he'd have entertained a Prius; given its reputation. All these models that Toyota are bringing out are options - they seem to be getting at least some people into a Hybrid that maybe wouldn't have gone for the Prius with the 'baggage' it brings.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well nothing to be ashamed of, most of these are new and coming to market, or are too expensive to be relavant :).

But I think by the end of the year, Toyota will have many hybrids that sell well.

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have figures for a european hybrid take rate. There seems to be well published figures in the US and Japan, but I can't find much on the EU.

19. Scott196250

Scott196250 ScottnATL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some are still afraid of hybrids altogether, and will go to the Yaris for that reason alone . . .but I agree with others that the 5K price difference is the main reason that those who are very price-conscious will go with a Yaris.

Speaking as someone who loved his 2009 Yaris for 66,000 miles until my daughter totaled her car and inherited it from me, I now have a wonderful Prius and can speak to the differences in attitude about purchasing each car. I think that $5,000 price difference is still a big deal for any buyer but expecially a yong one. Also, when I boought that Yaris I knew that I didnt have to worry about an expensive battery replacement or other mysterious possibilities that went along with a hybrid purchase. Now it is 2012 and we know that the myths about expensive battery replacements on the immediate horizon are just that--myths--but not everyone is easily convined of this. Yaris will fill a niche.

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    With collateral that says its a car, tco has to be the main reason, not fun to drive or saves the planet. There are also a number that are toyota fans, and its the cheapest cost of entry.

Let us drill down to tco a little. Many have short term outlooks, and expect to do better in 5 years, so we should look at

monthly cost
    5 year loan
    gasoline
    maintenance
    insurance

These are going to be less expensive on the yaris, but if someone likes the other features, or values low gas use more than the cost of gas, they will go for the prius c. I would expect the c to cannibalize some portion of yaris sales in japan and the us, but not much in the rest of the world. Let's face it though, toyota gets a higher asp and profit margin on the yaris, so they win for every converted sale. They would much rather move people from other cars into a prius c though.

battery and purchase price kind of really go away if you talk about monthly expenses. Would you pay $50/month more for a prius c for the first 5 years:D, then after that its less expensive.
    For some its important, for most of the crowd its going to be the monthly costs that are more of the problem. The prius c, shrinks the hybrid premium, but there is still some there.