1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yaris Beware!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by The Electric Me, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This article is from 18 months or so ago:

Toyota Auris Hybrid smashes sales expectations

...suggests 15% of Toyota/Lexus sales are Hybrids. No exact figures outside the Auris...

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apples to apples the 5 door Yaris starts at 15,140 here ...

Stripped c starts at $18,950 ......... $3,810 difference.

I don't think too many people set on a $16k ish Yaris are going to waltz over to the $20k c Two. And although I think the c and v will continue to sell nicely, the regular Prius IMO will have majority sales for many years.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

hey buddy, all you need is ask... 10% for TMC in 2011. 80k hybrids sold, 800k cars.
    40k Auris, 20k Prii, rest was Lexus (half of their sales).

2 people like this.
  4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think that you should be ashamed - the point that I got was that after taking out the cars that were listed that have not yet come out in hybrid form Toyota produces quite a few hybrids, none of which are terribly good performers in either sales or MPG other than the original Prius save the 2 new models (the V and the new Camry). They have had solid reviews but are too new to really be able to say if they will be successful. In a couple of years it will be interesting to see if any of these come close to matching the success of the original Prius or if a car maker like Ford or Hyundai swoop in.

If you take all of the other hybrids - the old Camry, Highlander, HS, LS, RX, CT - none of them have sold all that well. They are all overpriced (compared to their competition) and compromised (such as the battery in the old Camry) and do not even come close to returning the mileage benefit to justify buying them over the gas version - for all of them the only tangible benefit to buying the hybrid is to green up your personal image - to me they are all fairly forgettable cars.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One example, the Highlander hybrid is a 7-seater with 28mpg combined. What other 7-seater comes close to 20mpg. Hopefully, we are not expecting every vehicle, regardless of size to get 50mpg.

Compare Side-by-Side

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Explorer equipped with the 2L ecoboost gets 23mpg combined and 28mpg on the highway. Only 20mpg city, but those numbers are the same as my 2006 HHR, which is the size of the Matrix.

It isn't available with AWD, but has twice the cargo space of the Highlander when you actually carrying 7 passengers. Plus, if don't want or need all the standard features of the Highlander(power seats and satellite radio appear to be the only major ones) it can be bought for almost $9,000 less.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's the important bit (and why it's ok for the Prius v to hit 44/40/42). You have to put the vehicle into perspective and compare it with its targeted market.

But that's when Lexus was focussing on performance hybrids. Remember when the RX400h and GS450h were launched in 2005/2006, hybrids were limited to the Insight-I, 2G Prius and HCH-I. Toyota proved that hybrids aren't just underpowered small cars. They can have applications in larger vehicles and in those cases, boost performance and still return good mileage.

Now that that part of the equation is settled, Toyota can go back to focussing on mpg and with the RX450h and 2013 GS450h, they've gone with an Atkinson cycle version of their 3.5 litre V6 to boost mpg. The LS600h L is the only one left in the previous performance hybrid era. (and also they wanted it to be their flagship vehicle instead of offering a V12)

2 people like this.
  8. stevemcelroy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hybrid premium for the highlander is close to $10k - for that you get a 6 mpg combined boost - sorry, but to quote local Boston radio personality Glen Ordway, "you are making my point".

9. stevemcelroy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hybrid premium for the Highlander is close to $10k - for that you get a 6 mpg combined boost - sorry, but to quote local Boston radio personality Glen Ordway, "you are making my point".

As to your original question about 7 seaters that get close to 20mpg - there are a bunch, and most are over 20. I'd start off with the regular Highlander at 22 combined. As mentioned the Explorer can get over 20 and Ford also has the Flex. Add in the Rav4 (though that 3rd row seat is tight as anything), the Sienna, the Pilot, the Odessey, the Traverse, the Carrivan/Town & Country/VW Routan, the Quest and what I think is the best driving of all of the group - the Mazda CX9 (I had one as a rental and it was terrific). I believe that is at least 1 vehicle from every "full line" car company. My wife bought a new car in August and we started off researching all of the above and more. Add in the fact that new power-trains take a few years to actually be deployed and I think that in just a year or two we will be talking about a bunch of the same cars getting over 25 mpg.

The comparison link you provided was not really fair - you had the Highlander stacked up against 2 premium & big SUV's - both with big engines and lots of creature comforts and some actual offroad chops - especially so with the Land Rover.

10. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm in this every day, with folks and their decision between Yaris, Corolla, etc - even Prius.

This car won't dent Yaris sales.
    It will dent Prius II and III sales way more than anyone expects. It will also slightly impact Corolla sales as well. And, Rav4 too.

But, typical Yaris buyers won't consider this car. It will be rare if someone's actually between this and a Yaris! Yaris sales are NOT about the looks.

11. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think we just got the definitive answer!:)

12. stevemcelroy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With a car as homely as the original Yaris I think that your comment has to be spot on.

Have you seen the new 2012 Yaris - in pictures it seems to be a much better looking car inside and out - dare I say something that might actually compete in that area with the Fit?

13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so who in your experience buying Yaris? commuters? first car bayers?

With high mileage commuter in mind, "C" makes alot of sense. At 30K annual Prii save 1200$ over Yaris, 1500$ over Corolla. Difference in price with Corolla 2000$, 4000$ with Yaris (taken with automatics). It would take 1.5years to better Corolla, 3.5 Yaris. This is at $3.50/gal.

3.5 years basically mean that your Prius C monthly payments+gas would be less then of Yaris. You break even with Yaris at 20K annual. However it is hard to imagine "C" not pulling commuters off Yaris.

Now the poor/low mileage buyers are gonna stay with Yaris, no question about it.

Agree Corolla and hatchback are gonna be bigger losers. When compare Prius C vs hatchback it is all about cost vs size. I could see people not needing extra size.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would've thought the Prius v would steal some RAV4 owners!

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...I certainly respect your experience in this matter. So maybe it's just my day to be dead wrong.

In anycase, I'd think if you sell cars, you welcome the products then let the chips fall where they may. The key is you want people on the lots looking at products.

The reason I would think The Prius C could potentially pull from Yaris was Bob Carters contention that Prius C is the Gateway Vehicle for Prius. I guess "gateway" sounds nicer than "Entry Level"?

But before Prius C...if you were desirous of a HSD hybrid but had a > $19,000 dollar budget, your choice was pretty much limited to Used Prius. Prius C instantly changes that. Honda advertised the Insight as the "Hybrid for Everyone"...unfortunately for Honda, Toyota now has the HSD Hybrid for Everyone.- Game Over for Honda Insight.

I also think Toyota is aiming the Prius C at similar demographics as The Yaris. The younger "first time" Toyota buyer. The Yaris is/ has been sold in the past with very much the same applied psychology. As being an affordable, efficient, vehicle for a younger person.

As many have pointed out, despite Toyota touting the lower price point, in "hybrid" comparison, there still is a significant price difference between Yaris and Prius C.

I'm sorry Dianne, I do respect your experience in this area. I'm not hanging out on a Toyota lot. So perhaps I'm just dead wrong.

However? I'm willing to bet that if Gas Prices significantly spike. Prius C will steal sales from....everything....

At that point? Even people who have or can afford "nicer" vehicles will want as Danny defined it, The affordable 60mpg Monster.

What's your opinion about the Prius C becoming a lot of peoples second vehicle? Again, I could foresee The Prius C being very, very popular as a daily driver, commuter, workhorse...that people use to keep gas costs down. That gets abandoned or left at home on weekends and for longer trips.

I seemed to witness a lot of this "smaller more efficient vehicle" paired with a more comfortable larger vehicle, combination in Europe.

16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    without sounding too offensive or condescending, I suspect that most Yaris buyers do not bother doing this kind of calculation. I remember someone mentioning insurance costs in this thread. Seriously? Does *anyone* contact their insurance co and get a quote for like 5 different car models before going car shopping?

I think the reality is that people who are buying Yaris are short on cash. If they weren't, they wouldn't be considering it; they'd be looking to get a Corolla instead. A 3-door Yaris AT starts at $14,840; a 5-door comes in at $15,140. A Corolla L AT starts at $16,960. A Prius c One starts at $18,950.

Look at those prices again. No one considering a Yaris will think about getting a Prius. If a Yaris is all you can afford, it's all you will buy. If you can afford more than a Yaris, you won't buy it now, you wouldn't have bought it before, and you won't be buying it when the c comes out. Note also that the c generally has interior space measurements closer to a Corolla than a Yaris.

17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^^ you maybe right; it is hard to rationalize irrational purchases, even if you are a russian ;P

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. But would you feel better if this thread was titled "Corolla Beware"?

The bottom line to me, is with an expanding product line, and a product in The Prius C, aimed at younger buyers, Toyota can hope that it attracts primarily first time buyers, but I think it is folley to believe it won't steal a percentage of buyers from other markets. Be it Yaris, Corolla, or Standard Prius itself.

As a purchaser and owner of a Honda Fit? I can tell you I highly doubt I would be owning a Fit today, if 2 years ago The Prius C was available.

Perhaps the market The Prius C threatens to Toyota's benefit the most is the upscale subcompact market, which I think would include Honda Fit and Ford Fiesta.

When I look at the exterior and interior of the Prius C, I see a lot of Honda Fit to it...

19. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This I can wholeheartedly agree with. But that's not the title of this thread :)

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It could be argued that was done with the Accord hybrid. Honda mean even have said has much.
    Or real penny pincher hypermilers.

1 person likes this.