1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yaris Hybrid Reviews

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by PriQ, Jan 22, 2012.

1. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I can't believe that I missed this, but there are actually reviews of the pre-production Yaris h out there.

Here's the one by whatcar:
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid review - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?

(I have never heard these Volkswagen fanatics say anything positive about a Toyota, ever, so take their mentioning of anything non-measurable with a grain of salt).

Still. Their review gives some info about the car:
    - Not as fast as the 1.33 petrol or 1.4 diesel
    - Expect fuel efficiency like the main competitors.
    - Well packaged like the Prius c without compromises (no mentioning of fuel tank size).
    - Less than a mile in electric mode (like c)

Feel free to add links to other reviews in this thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, one of the guys on the VW TDI Forums did say that the Toyota Hybrid LeMans car looked good. :D

3. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    That's only because they know Audi is heavily favoured to win now that Peugeot withdraws.

Another review of the seemingly same test mule by autocar.co.uk:
    Toyota Yaris hybrid review - Autocar.co.uk

They give grab-in-the-air estimates of price and FE and have some minor mistakes such as "original Yaris" when they mean "conventional Yaris". They assume that a diesel hybrid would get better FE and don't quite get that Toyota sticks to petrol hybrids because of the emissions.
    They also seem confused about the power output, quoting "Power: 73bhp + 26bhp". See the Prius c threads for the actual power output.

Here's what this review gives us of new info:
    - EV range of 1.3 Imperical miles
    - 0-62 Imperical mph: 12.0s.
    - Very light steering. Presumably like a normal Prius. This is odd since Toyota knows how to perfectly tune electric steering assist.

4. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Another British review. This time from The Telegraph:
    Toyota's Yaris Hybrid review - Telegraph

Please ignore the typos regarding the weight of the hybrid system (The hybrid system does not weight a full metric ton in a Prius), power of the battery (a battery has a capacity, not power...) and weight of the standard Yaris:
    1.5: 1041kg (US spec)
    1.0: 1072kg. (euro spec)
    1.3 5d: 1130kg. (euro spec)
    1.4 diesel: 1170kg. (euro spec)
    The author also seems to be oblivious to the PWR-button of a Prius (he mentions that the "rubber band effect" plagues it) and generally talks a lot of weight.

In conclusion he calls it the Toyota's best hybrid yet and gives it a marginal 3 out of 5 stars.

While the review itself doesn't provide any new information, the comments show that British people still believe in all the debunked hybrid myths (both when it comes to the nickel wasteland myth, complexity of HSD and performance versus diesels).

1 person likes this.
  5. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still somewhat hidden: official pre-launch information on the Toyota UK site providing insight into levels (2) and specifications. It looks like the ovarall start level is better then the Prius c (between two and three). The car can be pre-ordered already!

On the Swiss Toyota site, see the "Top-Highlights" insert saying "Émissions de CO2 de moins de 80 g/km", one learns in addition that the CO2 emissions are lower then 80 g (European cycle), which corroborates the insider info of a French "Prius Touring Club" member (post #483 and follow-up) claiming 79 g/km and 3.4 l/100 km (83 MPG UK or 69 MPG US). The 69 MPG US is as usual only for users paying a lot of attention to driving style, but in the light of Danny's Prius c test report, sounds credible.

And to end, this URL in which it is claimed the Yaris Hybrid would be launched also in the USA. Is this a reliable source or a hoax? If yes, our US friends would have the opportunity to choose between the cousins!

1 person likes this.
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you ever read Daily Telegraph or Daily Mail articles, you must be prepared to see anti-environmentalist propaganda accept as truth and repeated long after it has been debunked and rejected by other sources.

For pro-environmentalist propaganda you need to read other sources.

7. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Nice find.

Here is a German fella who claims the same:
    Fragen zum Yaris Hybrid - PRIUSforum

"Er wird als 3-türer ab 17.900,- EUR starten. CO2 79g/km."
    So a competitive starting price, at least in Germany, but less than the magical 30km/l.

1 person likes this.
  8. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    So you are saying that the commentators on The Telegraph come with an extreme political bias? It would be nice if they came with a notice - I just thought GB was nice person backwards for a moment there!

If you could drop some names for the other kind of propaganda, that would be appreciated too.

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    17.900 is not a good price
    way to high for that small a car.

10. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is in Euro, all taxes included, for a well equipped high tech car. Compare with a comparably equipped VW Polo Blue Motion! In several European countries (Spain, France, The Netherlands) additional premiums are granted, up to 2,500 Euro in Spain. In The Netherlands, the Auris HSD is largely outselling the conventional Auris, and costs only 2,000 less then a Prius hatchback.

But yes, the question can be put whether a Yaris 1.3 Multidrive S model is not a better deal, especially when city driving is minor. Honest John's review testifies this is a fine car. The rubber band effect of the HSD is also not everybody's taste. In cities with congestion charge, however, the Yaris Hybrid is a bargain.

1 person likes this.
  11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a car this size . me personal opinion is that the price needs to be more in the 15000 max range

12. RikM

RikM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, they don't call it "the Torygraph" for nothing...
    In the UK press, the Guardian has a distinct left/liberal bias, the Independent seems to try for a more neutral (and much drier) tone.
    But looking to the press for honesty, is probably a lost cause...

13. RikM

RikM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, they don't call it "the Torygraph" for nothing...
    In the UK press, the Guardian has a distinct left/liberal bias, the Independent seems to try for a more neutral (and much drier) tone.
    But looking to the press for honesty, is probably a lost cause...

14. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in fact, the Telegraph just bought from the author Andrew English a slightly edited version of his article in AutoExpress which appeared already in December. I do not think this has anything to do with political orientation. It is just a common practice in the car-related press. It could as well have been bought by the Guardian...

15. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many people pay more then 15000 Euro (all taxes included) for well equipped cars this size. I would be willing to pay a premium for the Yaris Hybrid with its extremely low fuel-consumption, a very smooth automatic, and the kind of goodies I have in my Avensis. Still, one can now find recent used Yaris 1,3 Multidrive S models and if cost is a major concern, it may make a good alternative for even less than 15000 Euros. Conventional cars too, can be driven to economise a max.

16. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Tank size is shrunk to 36 l.

What worries me is his statement:

That could be a no go for me. I was hopeful since in Toyota's press map for the conventional Yaris (it appeared in French here), they seem very proud on the measures to lower road and wind noises. It even is said to have an acoustic-laminate glass wind-shield!

Must we consider this type of "objective" and "critical" reviews? I do, simply to be alerted for the day I'll perform a test myself.

Did anybody who drove a Prius c noted considerable road noise at higher speeds? How about you, Danny?

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I always assume that journalists will sell their soul for money so I don't know what they actually believe. What matters more is the ownership and thus the editorial policy of the publication.

UK newspapers can generally be divided into "broadsheet" (larger newspapers, heavier reading, more serious articles) and "tabloid" (smaller, generally easier reading with more sensationalist material). However, some broadsheets went physically tabloid just for the easier format.

Broadsheet:
    Telegraph - right wing
    Times - a Murdoch paper, right wing but less conservative than the Telegraph.
    Guardian - left
    Independent - supposedly independent, but presumably as a result somewhat liberal.

Tabloid:
    Daily Mail: right wing. The joke was always that the Daily Mail was read by Telegraph readers' wives.
    Sun: a Murdoch paper, which used to be on the left like other tabloid but after Murdoch bought it he moved it right, then, when it suited it went more to the left.
    Mirror: left wing.

Commentators in particular will reflect the politics of the newspaper.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's funny, but several people who've ridden in my Prius comment how quiet it is, despite the lack of soundproofing. Of course, they're people who like pick-ups...

19. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PriQ. I note you possess a Prius and an iQ. Would you consider replacing the iQ by a Yaris Hybrid? Is it an automatic?

20. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both kind of cars have a match between the kind of driving and the fuel consumption.
    The major difference is that conventional cars you can only reach EU consumption estimates in almost ideal conditions, while in a HSD (my experience) you can reach incredible averages even in daily traffic.