1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yaris Hybrid Reviews

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by PriQ, Jan 22, 2012.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My experience is that for the road types I have I can match or perform better than the EU consumption estimates (calculated, not MFD displayed) a few times a year.

I am on average (see signature; this includes about 40% of highway km) 25% off the combined estimate of 4L/100km. Considering that I have for 6 months a year 16" winter tires, I am not living at 25C year round, and I am not in the Netherlands (flat roads) - I would say that my real life experience is *very* positive.

I am not too sure I have ever matched the estimates on my Polo diesel, unless I was driving on a flat stretch of road, at 25C in spring....and I am pretty sure I never matched it on an average city trip. I did though with the Prius...

2. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a table with the data. I took it from a french Prius fan forum, and suppose it is from Toyota.

[​IMG]

Apparently, the tests were done under 3 test conditions:
    1. Urban, speeds 50 and 70 km/h (that is fast!)
    2. Urban and close-to-urban w/o four lane highways at mixed speeds (30,50 and 90)
    3. Extra-urban but no high speed highways (50, 70, 90).

Probably representative for what you find in urban areas in Europe.

The first block of four rows is in time, and are the values during which the ICE was on (thermique) or off (ZE=zero emissions), the percentage ZE, and the total time for each condition. The mean here was 66% or 2/3 ZE.

The second block of four rows is in distance (km) and are the values for the ICE, ZE, %ZE, and total. The mean here was 58%.

To me multiplicates and Standard Devations are lacking, but it provides an impression...

I fully agree. I read a somewhat more advanced review in the french magazine "Voiture écologique", but even that is heavily based on press release material. They stayed well under 4.5 l/100 km in town (which is close to the 53 MPG US EPA and were pleased with its behavior, much like you can see in Danny's YT video. What is lacking is an in depth test by independent experts of the type you find in the belgian revue "Le Moniteur de l'Automobile". I'll monitor their web site.

Your Prius will definitely be doing better on the Autobahn. But on speed limited stretches, the Yaris will do just fine. The regular one is not loud until 120 km/h and above that, the road and wind noises increase. I definitely would want to stay under 130 in the Yaris.
    Anyway, that is not so untrue for a Prius liftback, right?

1 person likes this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You might want to read this post of mine... :)

PS: I will keep an eye instead on Quattroruote.it which is quite authoritative in Italy for car reviews and less biased than most german magazines (that consider the TDI the only engine on the planet and 200HP not enough on a Mini... ;) ). They also post the same table as yours, in Italian.
    The good thing about Quattroruote is that when they test a car, they always do it in the same exact way, in the same test track - so comparisons between models are actually possible. And they are also very reasonable in their comments. I still have to find something similar in Germany :(

1 person likes this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like from the aqua/prius c reviews the drivetrain would not be happy on 170km/h trips. I haven't seen the efficiency map yet, but at these speeds the yaris hybrid would likely be less efficient than a bmw:D

5. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really enjoyed reading your trip report in your blog. I know this really stressful stretch very well: I now prefer taking the train when I travel to Münich...

I live close to Offenburg at the french border. I work in Strasbourg...And in Strasbourg, one can really benefit from a Yaris Hybrid. Not to speak about Paris where I lived 11 years! As a matter of fact, if I would acquire such a car, I could afford driving a shortcut of 5 km one way to work consuming maybe even less then by driving first south and use the new bridge over the Rhine. Here, no jam, no traffic light, and 8l LPG/100 km.

That alone would possibly save me 350 Euros/year!

I also note with interest the Prius is good until about 140 km/h. I'll be facing the choice between buying a new Yaris Hybrid or a used 2010 model Prius 3 after all. They'll cost the same.

Otherwise, I am already driving at the cost of a Prius with my Avensis driving on LPG!

But my wife's Picnic is now 16 years old and is drinking heavily...(9l)

I agree. It's either pro VW or BMW/Mercedes here. And in France, cocorico, if it's made in France. That's incidentally why the Yaris hybrid will get a good press. It's built in Valenciennes. The french built Yaris though has an excellent reputation for reliability.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I do the same when I can. If it wasn't for the fact that Munich-Stuttgart takes *forever*...

I would strongly advise to use a Navigator like the Tomtom Go Live 1000 with HD Traffic. It has "saved my life" several times, it is 95% of the time extremely accurate, and it cannot do a worse job than all the other navis out there. It really changed my way to drive, I am more relaxed since I know exactly when I will get someplace and know where the traffic really is. And I think, but cannot prove it, it has reduced my fuel consumption.
    TMC is history.
    It is the best 200€ I have ever spent in an electronic device. It is not without minor bugs, but i don't think the others are not...

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TomTom is the best out there (at least in Europe). It has saved my bacon on numerous occasions - the intelligent route thing is good, though some of my colleagues have had issues with the HD traffic. It is delayed or out of date too often or the alternative route is so weird that it's worth waiting in the traffic!

Still great value for money.

(I saved the cost of the product in toll charges when I visited France, and the Speed Camera warning is great for me in the UK too).

1 person likes this.
  8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    "saved my bacon" :) I never heard that one before - it's wonderful - it does give the idea... :D

I honestly had to "outsmart" the Navi a few times (well, it doesn't have eyes...yet), but I still cannot imagine what would it be like with another one. Also if HD traffic is delayed or out of date too often, TMC is in another galaxy altogether still waiting for the train. There was a test done by a magazine here in Germany, I cannot remember sorry, and simply said that TMC and TMC Pro are simply useless because they are so delayed or not up-to-date, that people end up wasting time doing alternative routes that they could have avoided in the first place.

I don't have a benchmark, but if HD Traffic is not OK with some people, I cannot imagine what would it be like without it and I would really like to know how much time it took them by not following the route proposed...and if you don't have a Prius, staying in traffic can be really expensive!

9. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HD interior pictures of the High Grade

Official new and HD pictures from a UK Toyota dealer.

click to enlarge

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Nice instrument table, cool looking materials, leather wrapped steering wheel. All panels shining in Hybrid blue!

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Don't get mislead. The Yaris IS a small car. I sat in a regular one yesterday. Isn't that panoramic roof (optional) fantastic?

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

The Prius c is slightly stretched but lower. Are our US/Cdn friends going to appreciate?

:rockon:

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the only thing i dont like is that big whitisch plastic panel to the right of the lcd screen.
    is screems big plastic fake bleh bleh bleh not nice.
    and i would like to have a centre console thats closed! the car is to small to go from left to right seat anyway like you can do with the gen2 prius so just close that part of and make some nice pockets there.. or just remove that old fasion gearstick and put it up in the dash like with the gen2 and open that mid console open! so you can go from right to left inside the car if you want to.

beside that its a nice car i think.. looking to see the real life MPG numbers on this unit!

11. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The worst part of this new hybrid, IMHO, is the shift lever. It is so 90s...and so useless. A shift lever like the Prius on the centre console, would have been much more aligned to the 21st century....

alekska likes this.
  14. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree and guess it would have been too expensive. I'd miss it more in the Prius c, while the joystick lever is very much a Prius signature.

From my Avensis with automatic gearbox, I'm used to it. It is very ergonomic. In a Hybrid, is it not so that one uses most of the time D?

Jan

15. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yaris Hybrid in the US?

Here is a video presented by a member of the Toyota design team. His English is not easily understandable, but the images give another impression of the car.

I was intrigued about the incorporated publicity for a Toyota dealer in Ohio. On his website, though, nothing refers to the Yaris Hybrid. There were at some moment rumors it would be launched in the US.

Does anybody know about this?

16. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be watched in full HD! Enjoy the music!

Toyota Yaris Hybride | Facebook

And a screenshot of the shift which seems to be criticized by some Prius drivers.

[​IMG]

I agree it would have been appropriate for the Prius c, since the joystick is like a Prius signature. In a regular Toyota model with analogue instruments, it has nothing to do, like BTW in the Camry.

Having a similar one in my Avensis with a conventional automatic gear box, I can assure you this is very "chic" and practical. And in an HSD powered car, you barely use anything else but "D" while driving.

The chrome metal base plate is good value.

17. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An official Press Text with many HD Images (P. 1 - 4)

New for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another cute city car!

Jan

18. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  19. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a nice opportunity for you to hear how we Flemish people speak "Flengisch" ....

This video does not offer many new infos, but it is nicely packed. Best in 1080 HD and if you don't understand my compatriote, please use the undertitles.

Jan

1 person likes this.
  20. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.