1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yarn related to ABS VSC (!) Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Thekswenson, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Thekswenson

Thekswenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After 180k of zero brake problems, my father replaced his rear brake pads a couple of weeks ago...
    Here starts the epic.

I drove the Prius 500 miles a few days ago without incident. Upon starting the car up the next morning the ABS VSC (!) lights illuminated. The brakes were acting a little less grippy than usual.

I brought the car in. The code was C1343. They told
    me that the right rear brake shoes hadn't been properly tightened after service (the drum fell off upon removal of wheel). Upon adjustment of the shoes they found that no fluid would bleed from the line.

So they replaced the brake line and then noticed that still no brake fluid would come from that line. They told me that the ABS actuator (EXPENSIVE) would have to be replaced. We were on our way to my uncle's house far from home and I figured, with their consultation, that we could get to my uncle's place on three brakes.

It turns out that we couldn't. About halfway into our three hour drive we had pulled off at a gas station and the brakes firmed up. It felt the same as when a car is off and you're trying to break. Very stiff but if you stand on them they will slow the car.

So we got the car to a Toyota dealer. It's been sitting there over the Christmas break. Now they're saying that the brake line was left open and that there's no brake fluid in that line!

My question is, could the brakes feel so stiff if there was no brake fluid? I would expect the pedal to go to the floor.

We're far from home and trying to avoid paying more for unneeded service. Thanks for your advice.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you took the car to an independent mechanic first, then to a Toyota dealer when the independent could not help.

At this point I don't think you are in a reasonable position to second-guess the Toyota dealer. Ask for the brake fluid to be flushed and refilled, then see what else is wrong with the car. Good luck.

3. Thekswenson

Thekswenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like that is what they did and have sent us on our way. We'll see.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't seen this happen with my own eyes, but from reports by others, I believe the brake system can detect insufficient pressure in an individual brake line (such as if the adjustment was left too loose in a shoe replacement), and react by valving off that line completely, to prevent loss of fluid through what might (for all the computer knows) be a leak.

That would be consistent with the symptoms reported here. I am not where I can look up that trouble code, but it might be worth doing.

If that's what happened, the system would just need to be reset and put through a bleed procedure to confirm that all four lines hold fluid. That's what I'd check before replacing any $xxxx hardware.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    C1343 = Rear Hydraulic System RH Malfunction
    Sounds like that's what the Toyota Service Center did, it was the independent that changed the brake line. Ignorance = unnecessary hardware replacement. Low cost option = expensive/inconvenient option.

6. Thekswenson

Thekswenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the end I think ChapmanF was correct. The code probably was due to the loose shoe adjustment. Then the garage that adjusted the shoe didn't know how to reset the system (although they claim they did), meaning there was no fluid coming out of the right-rear line. The toyota dealer probably just had to reset the system and fill bleed the lines.