1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yay! Spring is coming!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rae Vynn, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yay!! Just wanted to celebrate that I've had my first 50 MPG + tank since it got cold!!

Filled up today, and the MPG, calculated by greenhybrid.com, is up to 50.1 !!! yay!!

And so ends a long, cold, winter.

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am happy to hear that Spring is coming to WA. Please ask her to drop by Michigan when you see her.

Don't be surprised if people from Ohio throw oranges (correction: giant snowballs) at you. :smow:

3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats on your first winter 50+ MPG! Just how cold is "cold"? Hate to tell you this but did you check the temperature outside today? BRRRR ... "so end ... winter" ... not so fast :confused:
    Gabe

4. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LOL ... I second that. We have no where to put our snow until now:p
    Gabe

5. livewire

livewire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In NH, this is currently the 6th snowiest winter on record (we're at 109.3" for the season) Even with rain yesterday, I still have between 3 and 4 feet of snow in the yard. It's cold again so all the rain has frozen on top too!

The two best purchases I made for this winter were Blizzaks for the Prius (though I always use snows on my winter cars) and a big honkin' snowthrower for the driveway! I'll be happy when this winter is done.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm going to agree with the "what spring?" crowd. It's now 8.4°F (-13.1°C). I hardly consider that spring. The pile of snow outside is taller than our first floor. I'll reserve my celebrations for a few more days.

Tom

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... sorry, all.
    If it's any consolation, I spent 25 years in Minnesota, and was well-acquainted with the usual April snowstorms that would dump 3-5 FEET of snow on us.
    Now, I live in paradise, and our temps have been hitting the 50's pretty often lately.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, I thought paradise was warmer than this. And dryer. But, hey, I'm not complaining. I'll take gardening in a jacket over shovelling snow any day. :nod:

9. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay! Finally I can start aiming for the possibility of 75+mpg tanks!

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Qbee42 walks off muttering under his breath about canucks .
    :hurt:
    Tom

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    5°F now, and going down...whoops, 4.8°F...

Tom

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess I shouldn't complain about 4.8°F. An friend of ours that we ice climb with got caught out in bad weather a week ago with another climber. The temperature dropped to -22°F (-30°C) and they both ended up in the hospital with frostbite. It looks like he is going to get off with only loosing one big toe, but his friend will most likely loose all of his toes. I think it's time to put another log on the fire.

Tom

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    4.6°f, 4.4°f...

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    4.2°F, 3.9°F...man, it's dropping fast!

Tom

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :drama::drama::drama:

Oh the drama. It's funny, the front range of CO seems to be out of sync with the rest of you. Last year, when everyone was freaking out about how warm it was, we were freezing our arses off here, and we got loads of snow. This year, when everyone is whinging about the cold, our winter has been pretty mild (don't tell anyone in Gunnison I said that). The Rockies have gotten loads of snow this year, but the front range hasn't gotten all that much, some, but nothing compared to last year, which, to be fair, was not a normal year. Then again, there's no such thing as normal weather in Colorado.

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Weather is like that. Just when you think you understand what is normal, nature tells you to think again.

We typically don't get really cold weather where I live, being out on a little finger of land surrounded by 1180 cubic miles of water. The water acts as a big heat sink, absorbing the highs and lows, so we tend to avoid extremes. If you go inland on the mainland a bit, then it gets cold.

To finish the drama, we bottomed out early this morning at -4.1°F (-20.0°C). That is fairly cold for us, but by no means a record.

Tom

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, Tom. Nothing personal. I've lived in Saskatchewan, so I know what cold is. And, while I'm sitting here on the West coast in the warm rain, glad I'm not with my family in the East digging themselves out of a huge snowstorm, my friends in California are telling me it was 82 yesterday. :violin:

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have friends that summer up here, but live in West Palm Beach Florida during the winter. We were down to visit them last year, and made a trip to Key West. It takes about 30 seconds of palm trees and sun to forget that it's winter back home. I was reminded when I post-holed my way through the snow in the airport parking lot, wearing sandals and no socks.

Tom

19. Craig K

Craig K New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All:

There is lots of talk about the things that effect fuel economy, temp., winter gas, but what I can't seem to find out is when do the gas stations switch from winter formula gas to summer formula gas. I am sure it depends on the area you live in. I live in the north east and have seen a jump in my MPG with in the last week. I am curious to find out if the stations started to switch. Does anyone know the details about the switch?
    :confused:

20. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's very possible that the "sudden jump in your MPG" is temperature related. I noticed this in the middle of my last tank of gas as my average went from 54 about mid-way through the tank to 57MPG at the end (yesterday). During this time our temperature increased especially in the morning.
    Gabe