1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ye Olde Automatic Car Wash

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tracy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I used to take my old car to the regular old tunnel, drive-through car wash. Nothing fancy.

I hand washed my C yesterday and I am just being honest - totally not my favorite thing to do. At. all. And I can't do it in my driveway in another month anyway because it will be too cold (and a month after that all the pipes will be covered so they don't freeze). So! Sounding like the drive through car wash to keep The Cheetoh clean.

I worry about the antenna on top and the paint finish. There is a car wash chain in the area that has two locations that do "touchless" washes with apparently stronger detergent and high powered water to clean it. I'm not sure that that sounds better than a "soft cloth" drive through experience ("stronger detergent" and "high powered water jets" sound like a formula for ruining the paint finish).

Opinions? Thoughts? Ideas?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't believe you still have touch-washes. There is only one in 100 mile drive that I know of. They are all touchless, or laser wash. Why? Because the water doesn't take off your mirrors and decals or antenna.

The laser wash works well, just make sure to take your time driving out.

You may want to research hand wash places in town. I have two intown, one is better than the other. They usually vacuum the insides and the mats, then hand soap the car and get the big stuff off. Laser wash the car, then hand dry. $7 in my location whereas it is $6 for a gas station car wash.

3. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I never heard of a laser wash! The place that does touchless also has an option to include an interior clean as well and I'll do that occasionally. We have Big City prices here though...it's $22-34 for a full package deal depending on how much you want done. Much less for exterior only, but not the great price you can get!

4. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you garage your car, it can be washed in your own garage with a product like OPTIMUM No Rinse Wash and Shine.
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 128 oz. New & Improved!
    I have used this product for years and am completely satisfied. If there is heavy, caked-on dirt, mud, etc., I knock it off at the local wash with a wand on rinse only (never use the brush on the paint surface - assume it has been in someone else's wheel wells and is full of grit), drive it home and do the Optimum. If you're a tree-hugger, this is environmentally safe, as well.

The ONLY way to inexpensively and safely clean your car is to do it yourself. IMHO

5. chicagoaficionado

chicagoaficionado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can unscrew the stock antenna on top FYI .

Tracy likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A car wash will not see dents and scratches, and will not get in the corners of wheel wells and the like, the most rust prone zones. This is doubly bad in cold climates with salted roads.

Also, the inability to have Toyo hybrids off and in Neutral is an issue with many car washes.

Once your area's weather drops below freezing I guess you will have to explore the auto wash options. Either that or extend the between wash interval, or take advantage of any milder weather you get to DIY.

7. SILVERCwSUN

SILVERCwSUN Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I will try and keep this brief. If you must use a car wash go to the xtra effort and use the brushless. Car washes with brushes or "flying mops" hahahahahaha! as I like to call them and are one of the quickest ways to destroy your cars finish IMHO. At least with a brushless you avoid the physical assault on your cars paint. Trust me, I had a friend who used to build and install car washes with brushes and mops and cleaning "doo dads" hanging from the ceiling LOL!...lots of sand and grit are left in these belts which end up thrashing your paint. He would never use one ever. Good enough for me...I hand wash the C. It's a small car and does not take long. For what it's worth.....cheers!

RocMills likes this.
  8. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I am bad and nearly always use the flying mops. Have only washed by hands once in five months. Whoops.

9. Jason dinAlt

Jason dinAlt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm usually careful. When I went to sell the car pre-Prius, I was in a hurry and used the mop-wash. That cost me 3 hours buffing out the scratches. I've been hand-washing the Prius - it's small. The avatar pic is just post-wash and it looks great (even if you can't tell.)
    When winter comes and I can't hand wash, I'll use the wands. Even if the shine won't satisfy the obsessive-compulsive among us, it will clear the salt and preserve the car for spring.

10. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Winter is going to be a bear for you hand-wash only guys. Unless you live in the south, anyway.

Touch washes vary by location. Some are better, some are worse for either coverage or potential damage. Scout several to judge which you might like best. If you plan on keeping your car 20 yrs I'd say hand wash as often as you can and keep the touch wash exposure low. I keep three cars and a big truck maintained so hand washing gets real old real quick. A good automatic car wash is a blessing.

Touchless washes are good as long as there's somebody at the end to wipe off the dirty film that water jets can't remove. Touch washes are good as long as the mops are modern materials and haven't just washed off a muddy jeep right before you.

Waxing your car will assist a bit in keeping scratching at bay. I like the modern spray waxes. Some like the really expensive polymer products. Any wax is better than none, so get what you're most likely to use regularly. Remember, a shiny car will fetch more bucks at trade in than a crappy looking car. It's in your best interest to take care of your vehicle no matter what kind it is.

Tracy likes this.
  11. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I did some searching and checked out reviews of touch less washes near me. Friday night I tried one that is fairly close (between home and work) and that had high ratings compared to others...not the cheapest but not that much more than doing a coin wash myself. I'm pretty impressed...it cleaned everything, no streaks and I didn't even have to touch up the windows (dried spot free). I will hand wash and wax periodically, but that's not my gig so I'm glad for the touch less option.

12. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Anytime you touch the paint you are scratching it. People with soft un-calloused skin equates to 2000 grit sandpaper. Nails are even worse, but jewelry is the worst offender. This is why most peoples' door handle cups and door edges are now flat instead of gloss.

Driving through the touch "grind-o-wash" is practically murdering your paint. If you must, use a coin-op wash with a soft horse-hair brush, and use the high-pressure soap to blast as much crud as you can out of the brush. This is what I do in the winter, and try to use as little pressure as possible and a brush that suds like crazy. No matter how careful you are though, you'll end up with moderate hairlines at the end of winter.

Touchless washes, however, leave most dirt and salt intact and don't do much unless they have aggressive chemical strippers, which aren't as bad for the paint as it may sound like. This is probably the least rough on the paint, but the car will also never look good.

Hand-washing isn't that good for the paint either. The best bet there is hyper-soft wash mitts using a double-bucket method [both with grit-guards] with a shampoo that has hella-suds. This will minimize hairline scratches.

13. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    DON"T WASH YOUR CAR AT ALL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cknfts, Rob.au, Tracy and 1 other person like this.
  14. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just want to thank everyone who had useful comments in this thread, even if it wasn't "mine". It's generally too hot or too cold here in Vegas for me to do my own detailing or cleaning, or I just don't have the time. Thanks to this thread, I did some research and seem to have found a fantastic deal on getting everything done for less than 25 bucks... and at a location which is just a few miles from home. Now I just have to handle that whole time thing...

Tracy likes this.