1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

yellow !, ABS, and Slip Indicator coming on...

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WX4GPS, Mar 20, 2012.

1. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have been noticing that I have been having the yellow exclamation point, slip indicator and ABS light illuminating what appears to be randomly, I have caught it one now about 5 times over my first 1500 miles. they are all on in a row. I have noticed no difference in braking to my knowledge.

I can shut the vehicle off and turn it back on, and the lights are off for an unknown period of time. Though today it happened three times seems to be happening while the brakes are being engaged or disengaged, cause its been in a parking lot that I have noticed it came on so I had been doing some sort of braking, nothing that would have kicked in ABS or anything.

I know if I bring it to a dealer, it may not come on for them and I may not get anywhere with it, or if I drove it there with the lights lite, and did not shut the car off would they be able to pull anything more that would help them.

How should I proceed from here?

Bohemian Grove likes this.
  2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take it to the dealer and have the codes read. If you can reproduce it, have explicit instructions for doing so. You have 3 year, 36000 mile warranty coverage at least.

3. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well I got the platinum warranty for 125,000 miles it may cover it too under that, I have to figure out how to reproduce it, thats all.. hahah thats the hard part, but if I am near a dealership when it happens I will stop in and see if they can read it while the lights are on.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The platinum warranty doesn't even come into play here, you're still well under basic. You can save some coin and decide within the next 3 years of an extended warranty is right for you. It's a waste at this point.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are you activating the hill start assist if the Prius c in fact has it? People have posted about this with their Prius and Prius v's and that's been the cause each time.

6. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't necessarily been on a hill. now I have been on hills and the car doesn't roll back when I let off the gas and the light has not come on during those situations. The light has not been on since I posted this, and the only thing I will amend to my original post is some of these instances happened after disconnecting the 12v battery, so I wonder if by chance the system was recalibrating itself... I will keep you guys updated if it happens again

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Activating hill start assist has nothing to do with being on a hill or not. If you press down 'hard' on the brake it activates whether you're on a hill or flat surface.

2 people like this.
  8. tlhamon

tlhamon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if this helps or not, but I have noticed that mine is very touchy. Bumps that would never set it off in my other cars DO cause it to come on in the C. The sensor works by detecting inconsistent movement in the wheels (used to be a mechanical sensor, may be IR now). If you are getting a warning during normal driving, the sensor may be faulty.

9. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Slip indicator light [1] [3]

Have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer immediately.

Failure to investigate the cause of this warning may lead to the system operating abnormally and possibly cause an accident. Have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer immediately.

(Comes on)

Indicates a malfunction in:

• Vehicle stability control;
    • Traction control; or
    • Hill-start assist control

I noticed Toyota's website (or the users manual) didn't really explain that pressing the brake extra hard will activate the Slip Indicator icon.

Ours only seems to come on when I press the brake extra hard after I've already stopped, and goes off the second we start moving again.

Thanks for the info!

There's an informative video on you tube..

Actually a bunch of good 'c' videos!

soberups likes this.
  10. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hill assist will not illuminate the ABS light. This is clearly something different.

11. INTJ

INTJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've noticed my PC does this... have seen it four times. It'll only happen when I'm fully stopped and mash the brake all the way down. The car won't budge if I release the brake and will only move forward if I tap the accelerator. I'm going to contact my service center and see what they think. I will post an update when I find something useful.

12. Iconn127

Iconn127 Master Diagnostic Technician

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    that is hill start assist, if you press your brake down to the floor when at a stop, it will hold the brakes for 5 seconds then release them automatically or hit the accelerator. normal conditions sir.

13. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Codes should be saved. I have had gm cars through a light then the light would go off. When i brought it into the dealer they could still read the codes.

14. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Lets revive this thread. I just had this happen to me! The three lights, (yellow !), Slip and ABS. I have to find my OBD and get the code. But I am still under warranty so hopefully it will be covered under warranty.

15. Tony Tony

Tony Tony New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone found a solution for this (both ABS and slip indicator lights on)? Thanks

16. That is so weird... the same thing just happened to me, well just the one time coming home from a trip a few days ago. I used both engine braking and medium pressure on the brake when a utility truck pulled in front of me. A few minutes later, the three lights come on, and my Ultragauge started going on/off (well on 95% of the time, instead of 100%). For the rest of the trip, I had to push hard on the brakes to get the same response. After I restarted the car, the lights went away and things seemed to go back to normal. What the heck??

#16 Deleted member 111882, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
  17. Bill N

Bill N New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This just happened to me - ABS, Bake System (!) and Slip Indicator all on. Avalon Hybrid 2013. I'm searching now for answers. Leading theory appears to be 12V aux battery (in Avelon trunk) needs replacement.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This looks like a five-year-old thread with a few different things going on. For one thing, some of the posts in it are from people who just didn't read about the hill start assist in the manual. My favorite is the one that perfectly describes exactly what hill start does, and then says "I'm going to contact my service center and see what they think."

BUT: hill start assist only lights the skid light, which just steadily blinks until you move off from your assisted stop.

So all the posts that talk about the light being on in other circumstances, or more than just the skid light being on, are about something else besides hill start assist.

More to the point, all of those posts in this five year old thread could have been about different issues. The skid/brake computer can detect around 75 different problems each with a specific trouble code. To tell you about any of those 75 problems, it only has the same three lights on the dash.

That means there is no way from the lights on the dash to say what problem you're having, and no productive way to join a five year old thread and say "hey, the same thing just happened to me" just because the same lights are on. Especially if it's one of those threads where none of the earlier posters ever came back to say what codes were ultimately read from their cars, or what their issues turned out to be.

The simple, necessary thing to do is get the trouble codes from your skid/brake computer in your car so you know what your issue is, and then get your issue fixed. After that, it is a nice touch to come back to the thread and say what your codes were, and what fixed the problem. That can be useful info to somebody later—but only if they read their codes too and get the same ones. Not so much if they just say "hey, I've got the same lights so it must be the same thing, right?"

A handy feature of the skid/brake computer is you can get it to blink out the codes on the dash lights, in case you don't have a reading tool, or it isn't with you when you get the lights.

-Chap