1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow/Orange Triangles with Exclamation Points and Hybrid System Down - Advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pandas Andpresents, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Pandas Andpresents

Pandas Andpresents Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,
    I had a triangle with an exclamation point (not red), a check hybrid system message, and an airbag indicator come on in my car in February. I thought the triangle with the exclamation point was originally yellow but my eyes could be playing tricks on me. It now appears orange.
    In February, the dealership told me that some kind of rodent apparently chewed through wiring containing the airbag tether and hybrid system wires. I was told this is a 3K+ repair and was advised to make a claim against my insurance. I am working away from home until June, so I was going to wait until I go home to have my preferred dealership handle the repairs.
    Does driving solely on the gas system harm the Prius? Does the car have both yellow and orange triangles with exclamation point warning indicators? By driving the car in the condition it is in, am I harming it and is the possible change in color of the indicator a sign of a worsening problem?
    Thanks in advance for any information. I appreciate it!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those lights are indicators that things are not working properly in your car and need repair. Why would you want to drive a car with a compromised safety system?

Any dealer can handle the repairs.

SM-N900P ?

3. Pandas Andpresents

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't really trust the dealership I went to. First, I was told that even if the repair was covered under warranty, they were going to charge a $125 diagnostic fee whether I got the repair done or not. Usually, if you have the repair done, they don't charge that. For another repair they did to the car, they initially quoted one price as a total and it ended up being another for just that service.

I guess I could find someone else but this is not an area that I am familiar with so I don't know the reputations of the dealerships. Agree that the airbags especially are an issue.

Curious regarding how much damage I am doing by relying solely on the gas system? And if my eyes are playing tricks on me or if the indicator has turned colors?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hybrid battery has to be healthy enough to start the engine, so it's unlikely that you're driving solely on gas. what is the battery charge icon doing while you drive?

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Were you able to drive the car to a dealer, or did it need to be towed?
    The lights you're seeing are fairly meaningless. The Prius has a diagnostic connector inside, and you or a mechanic can attach an "OBD-II Code Reader" to this plug in order to read the diagnostic fault codes your car's computer is triggering. There are troubleshooting procedures for tracking down and repairing the root cause of each fault. I think that $3,000 to replace some wires that were chewed through sounds like a big load of nonsense, and I think you know that.

6. Pandas Andpresents

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I obviously know nothing about the car I brought. I will take a look at battery charge icon today while doing errands and repost.
    Thanks for the info!

Merged.

No, other than the warning indicators, the car appears to be operating normally at this time. I noticed the check hybrid banner has stopped blinking and is now just steady. Also, the triangle color appears to have deepened although I'm unsure if this is a perceived or actual difference.

The dealership told me the hybrid system and airbags issues are linked b/c they use the same wiring bundle. If the car depends on the hybrid battery to start, then how could this be? The hybrid battery should be dead if needed wiring has been severed.

Guessing the hybrid battery is dying? Is this how it usually goes? How much trouble does Toyota give about replacing them under warranty? My car has a mileage of about 60K, so guessing it's covered under warranty (although watch there be an excuse not to replace it under warranty like rats eating the battery or something). The batteries should go longer than that but I am currently stationed in a location in the northeast where it gets very, very cold.

Merged.

And thank you for the info! I appreciate it!

#6 Pandas Andpresents, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
  7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My opinion is don't drive the car until this is fixed, or at least keep mileage to an absolute minimum. You don't know what's wrong.

If you want to do it yourself, go to eBay and buy a $20-ish thing called "Mini vci with Techstream." This is a USB cable and software. BUT, it requires 32-bit Windows, and won't work on 64-bit Windows. So you need a Windows 7 or Vista laptop.

With this rig, you can plug into your car's diagnostic port and read and reset its error codes. An ordinary OBD scanner won't do it. As long as you or a friend has a 32-bit Windows laptop with a CD drive, this is the way to go.

There are many possible reasons for this message. Did the dealer show you rodent-chewed wiring? If you've had a mouse in your car, you should inspect the engine air cleaner and the cabin air filters carefully for signs of mouse droppings, which are pretty disgusting and you'd obviously want to clean that out. But I don't trust the dealer at all unless I see the chewed cables.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's unlikely that the battery is dying, but if it were, they replace under warranty without any argument.

there are a lot of wires in the wiring harness, and it runs throughout the car, so it could be that some wires were chewed that don't affect the drive system.
    generally, they have to replace the entire harness, which is a huge job. there are other threads here with the same problem as you regarding mice chewing wires.

if their diagnosis is correct, then their advice is probably correct, but you may want to get a second opinion. and have them show you where the chewed wires are.

#8 bisco, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  9. Pandas Andpresents

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The energy monitor screen isn't showing any movement of energy at all between the components (engine, electric motor, and hybrid battery). But the hybrid battery is showing as about 80% charged.

The hybrid system indicator screen shows fluxing of the CHG v PWR bar while driving. The hybrid battery indicator is the same on this screen.

Will take the car to another dealer ASAP. Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it!

Merged.

No, I wasn't shown the wires or any of what they were telling me.

My dad used to have an auto code reader but not for the Prius, unfortunately. Will definitely check that out! Sounds like a handy thing to have. Will also check the filters you mentioned.

Will take the car to another dealer ASAP. Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it!

#9 Pandas Andpresents, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
  10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why would they need to replace all of the wiring, and not simply splice wherever there's damage? Unless there's a lot of damage.

If a storm knocks down a power pole, they don't replace all the electric cables in the City, just the ones that snapped.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm no expert, that's just what i've read here. it's a sealed system, and they don't like to try and patch it up.
    you might find someone outside of a dealership who would be willing to try and patch it. it's a pretty big bundle of wires.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you need to visually see what, if anything, the rodent allegedly chewed through before deciding to replace all the wires. Anybody who's installed a car stereo knows that if you match wire gauge and you solder/shrink wrap your splices, it's good as new.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're probably right. i would def want to see the damage myself, as i mentioned above, and get a second opinion.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Definitely, bro. No way would I give a mechanic $3,000 for that without seeing the damage myself.

15. Pandas Andpresents

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re partial replacement. I asked this. Was told that because the bundle contains wires re the airbag system, they cannot perform a partial replacement. I was told it's a safety issue.

I know a private mechanic who specializes in Toyotas (although maybe not the Prius) who may be willing to look at it. Unfortunately, he's quite a distance from where I am currently.