1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow triangle / check hybrid system stop vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LuisT, Apr 13, 2021.

1. LuisT

LuisT New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello All, I just joined the community and I just joined the Prius Family last week when I bought a 2015 3rd Gen Prius (package 4 I think, the one with the solar cell on the rooftop, in Mexico it's just called Premium SR) with 100,000 km (62k miles) sorry about the units I'm located in Mexico.

I got it from an old lady from a nice neighborhood so the car seemed in perfect shape, all the services done at the dealership.

Today I was on my commute to work this morning rolling at 20 km/h (12mph) using ECO Mode and the EV light turned on, I tried to get some speed to reach 35 km/h (21 mph) and when I reached the middle line between the ECO to start the ICE suddenly all these messages popped up:

ESC light,
    Yellow Triangle,
    "Check Hybrid system, stop vehicle in a safe place",
    check engine light
    brake system light

It was a normal road (no pot holes, straight line, battery was like 30%) the hybrid seemed to stop working and the ICE drove me the rest of the trip, lucky for me I was a few blocks away from work, I arrived and turned it off, I turned it on again and the messages showed again and the ICE started directly.

What are your thoughts on this? I forgot to ask when the 12v was replaced or if it's the original that came with the vehicle back in 2015.

Thank you.

Apologies in advance for my English I'm not a native speaker. IMG_20210413_072049.jpeg IMG_20210413_072046.jpeg IMG_20210413_072051.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Gotta get codes read

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    start with the 12v health and make sure the gas cap is tight. check the hybrid battery cooling fan intake grille for blockage.
    after that you will need trouble codes read, dealer or hybrid shop, or buy a mini vci

5. LuisT

LuisT New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello, thanks for replying on the thread, I toom it to my nearest AutoZone and their scanner only showed this code "P0A80" and as far as I read here, I need a kind of special scanner for this car right? I made an appointment with the dealership this Saturday to check it.

6. LuisT

LuisT New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you! I just arrived from work and tested the battery it gave me 12.5v read from the front and back trunk and 12.3v on the diagnostic menu, the gas cap is OK and about the cooling fan intake grill next to the seat seems OK, I'm missing the 10mm and 12mm sockets to disassembly the whole set and check the fan directly I will try to get them to do it before I take it to the dealership shop, I took it to an AutoZone and their scanner read the code P0A80 but I need a better scanner right?
    Thanks.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally speaking, yes. and you want confirmation with tech stream. you could try the dr prius app.
    not sounding good though, what is the warranty there?