1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow Triangle of Death- Check Hybrid System Along With The Christmas Tree Light Up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DanNeuman, Feb 4, 2017.

1. DanNeuman

DanNeuman New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2011 Prius- Check Hybrid Sytem with a yellow triangle of Death along with a bunch of other warning lights...

I was driving at a normal speed when everything on the dash lit up. The car started to hesitate when pressed on the gas. I pulled into a parking lot and did some checking. Oil was fine, fluids were good, nothing smoking ect.. So I drove it back home couple miles and made the dreadful dealer appt which was in a couple days.

Had it towed to the dealer ($60) and the next day they said, "P0A80 trouble code and needed a new Hybrid battery ($3600.00). It didn't throw any other codes other than the one. I drove the car back home a couple miles and parked it. The next day I asked the dealer for the print out off all the percentages of the cells and temperatures of sensors ect.. They said they couldn't find it. I called another local dealer to have them do the test again and they said there was no point since I could just get it from the original dealer. It started the run around game then having to call corporate. After doing some hours of research through all the threads I felt comfortable removing the Hybrid battery unit and do some testing to see if there was a bad cell and see if the fan was clogged since I wasn't getting any help from the dealer.

Dooms day was here and we removed the Hybrid Battery Unit (pretty scarey- wear a rubber body suit). Opened it up and saw no corrosion, undid the orange bus bars on both sides (no corrosion visible on the plates at all) did a volt meter test on all the cells which were all in line at 8.11, 8.12 ect.. (nothing leaking, ect). Next we looked at the fan which had some dirt and stuff caked on the blades. So we cleaned the blades off and put it all together. Remember the couple of steps to installing the orange safety plug in the end. Put the plug in and started the car which would only turn the electric on. The check Hybrid system Light was still on. So forgot the last step where you have to push or slide the lever to the right. After that the motor turned on and parked it in its spot because the check Hybrid system Light was still there.

After being frustrated I let the car sit for in all 15 days. My dad went to move the car and saw that there was no warning lights on anymore. (Scratching my head at this point) I let it run for awhile (no lights still) took it for a test drive and seemed ok other than a spongy brake pedal. Now from sitting it will go to the floor/ stop and the traction warning light will be/ show itself and go off. So I went back out and put about a hundred miles on it today, let it run with the heat on (parked) to put it under a load. I don't get it.

Was the dealer trying to rob me for $3600.00 for a dirty fan, was the hesitation when pressing the gas pedal when it happened build up in the catalytic converter, is my battery unit still bad and going to throw a code again?

Attached Files:

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Stealer ships are known to do that

3. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to continue on your path of guessing, you could try investing in a ouija board and tarot cards for car analysis.

Otherwise your only option would be get a mini VCI or bluetooth obd2 to monitor the battery cell blocks.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How many miles on the car? Based on time the car could still be in warranty.