1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yes Virginia, Overfilling Oil does cause problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tempus, Jun 29, 2006.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s not a seasoned mechanic that’s the problem. It’s an oil change monkey. Why do peopl think there getting a mechanic with a dealer oil change. Dealer is not going to put an SAE CERTIFIED mechanic on the oil change line. The car is shuffled around back where the Dino oil vats are and it’s usually a greasy shit hole. The guy changing it is using a Pneumatic oil gun attached to filthy oil vats. The gun is notoriously inaccurate so they always put a littl more in it.
    When my 07 was new I had the dealer change it’s oil. I know this racket but wanted to see if this top autoway dealer was any different so when my car went “back there” I walked around the joint a little scoping the place out. Saw the nice clean mechanic bays were but no Rays new 07 so I went around back and found lo and behold filthy Dino vat oil land.
    The dude working on my car did not speak English so not much to say. I watched him put my oil filter on so tight it probably will never come back off then he went at it with the oil gun.
    Drive it home and sure enough overfilled the hell out of it. Next day I dumped it all out and put Mobil one in it.
    Never ever again.

TheChip and padroo like this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's no need to experiment, that's what the full line on the dipstick is for. Just don't overfill, that's all that is needed.

edthefox5 and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That’s what I thought too.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Amen

Some car dipsticks don't agree with the specification on how much oil the engine holds. Some are off quite a bit but I found my 2008 to be right on the mark.

#44 padroo, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my seasoned mech puts in the spec. it's always over the fun line when i get it back, that's why i have a vacuum pump.
    guy can fix anything, but insists on doing everything by the book. just like galaxy's husband, who was a pro.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I put in the spec'd. 4.2 liters (4.4 US quarts), carefully measured, and when I check in a few days it's just on the underside of the top mark, so I'd say it's good. I let the oil drain well, will just leave it to drain for 1/2 hour or so.

#46 Mendel Leisk, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh sure, if we had liters, problem solved.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The spec in my book says 3.7 litres (3.9 US qt) with filter, 3.4 litres (3.6 US qt) without filter. What? Y'all got larger oil sump in Canada? Or are you confusing the issue by quoting Gen 3 info again?

Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ceerripes, guilty... :oops: