1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yes, you can charge the battery while driving: my plug-in experience

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lensovet, Mar 30, 2012.

1. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So,
    I remember back when it was announced that there would be a single large battery in the Pip, people were wondering whether this meant that you could charge the battery while going down a long slope.

Well, I have great news: indeed you can.

My mom bought a plug-in through Dianne, but unfortunately at the moment has no place to charge it (home is an apartment with no easily accessible outlets; work has no outside outlets at all).

Earlier this week, we drove from Torrance to Joshua Tree NP, then to Desert Hot Springs to spend the night, and then to Palm Springs Aerial Tramway before returning to Torrance. Here's a rough path of our trip: Torrance, CA to Torrance, CA - Google Maps

Since my mom can't charge the battery anywhere, we obviously started with the battery that shows individual bars, with all bars except for the top two. On the first day, I managed to first regen the battery to approximately 4.2 miles of range, which we used for an all-EV trip to a local Vons and back. On the second day, I regened the battery to a max of about 5 miles, after which it was gradually depleted in blended mode, returning home with 4.7 miles remaining for my mom's commute the following day.

A note about how I drive: 9 miles above the speed limit, cruise control whenever possible (including "traffic"), proactive lane changes to maintain a constant speed, and turns taken at 15-20 mph above the "recommended" speed in the yellow square sign. Going through the park I was rarely going below 50. I-10 has a speed limit of 70, so I was going 79 — not the best speed for this car.

Trip stats: 388 miles (reset the tripmeter after we got on the freeway), 47 mpg, Avg speed 52 mph.

Now, some notes about the driving experience as a whole:
    –EV mode would kick in automatically as soon as there was about 2 miles of EV range available. I'm not sure I like that.
    –When changing iPod tracks using the steering wheel, all that's shown is "iPod"+a track number; no artist or track name. Kind of ridiculous.
    –Since the fuel economy info was up by the windshield, I ended up rarely using the 6" screen. Most of the time it was on the map (no navigation), just so I could make sure I wasn't driving off in the completely wrong direction, and sometimes it would be on the audio screen, because of the aforementioned "no track info" issue when skipping. For commuting, the screen actually feels a bit superfluous.
    –I noticed that traffic-based rerouting is turned off by default. Any ideas as to why?
    –Really miss the bigger-size opening button on the hatch like the Gen II had. I kept hitting the space between the unlock and lock buttons whenever I wanted to open the hatch.
    –Noticed that all the warning stickers (including clearly pip-specific ones) under the hood had Russian translations. Wow…last place I would expect the plug-in to go on sale, for a multitude of reasons.
    –EDIT: I LOVE that the fuel filler door release is a button and not a pull-style lever on the floor. I HATE that it's so close to the indoor backlight level adjustment knob that it's really easy to hit accidentally while driving!

I have a couple of photos of the MID, if people are interested. Comments/questions welcome!

SteveWlf, iRun26.2, janie and 2 others like this.
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EV is the default mode. I wonder if you get the same behavior if you have specifically selected HEV mode.

Avoiding confusion?

Will it open while driving even if you hit it? It would make sense that it'd only open when the car's stopped.

3. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: default modes: well, the mode definitely doesn't persist across the car getting turned off/on. in terms of whether, while in HEV mode with sufficient charge, your charge drops, and then goes back up again? I would suspect that it would go into EV mode anyway, but the chances of this scenario playing out are pretty slim (from my experience on this trip the battery draw is not very high in blended mode).

Re: fuel door, do not know, didn't try :)

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This thread was started to discuss the same topic: http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...icle-replenish-hv.html?highlight=EV+replenish

We always knew while-driving recharge was possible. But with the early model, it was limited to just one subpack. So, the question that still remains is how much. What happens when you drive down a mountain?

I certainly haven't experienced that.

Was it actual EV mode or just the "EV" indicator in HV mode?

HV mode is indicated by that vertical divider line in the Eco-Meter.

5. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    John, if you look at the terrain view on that map, you'll see that I was, in fact, driving up and down mountains.

I got almost 5 miles of charging from zero. The pack showed about half-full.

It was actual EV mode. The green EV mode indicator that's next to ECO MODE near the speedometer blinked a few times and then stayed on, and the ecometer changed to the EV-mode one with no middle divider.

6. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    (in other words, given my experience, if you had a long-enough hill, you can fully recharge the pack)

7. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The description of events didn't have enough detail to support a pattern. It was likely specific circumstances and others will observe different quantities/cutoffs/triggers. There are usually many more factors at play than observed at first. We'll see something common emerge from reports over time. Thanks.

9. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    On our drive home from VA to NC, purposely depleted EV range, automatically switched to HV mode, and after going up and down hills (not mountains), and stop and go in a small city, the EV range rose back to 11.7 miles with fan on. :spy:

2 people like this.
  10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    john1701a:
    From your signature you are (until now) at 66.6 MPG(e) composite.
    The "EPA average" Volt driver is at 60 MPG(e) composite.

11. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you guestimate how many mile you drove to bring the EV range back up to that figure?

12. SBFJohn

SBFJohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just returned from a 860 mile trip in Arizona and SW Colorado. On the way down from Flagstaff to Phoenix There are 2 significant hills of about 6-10 miles each. One is at 75 MPH the other 60-65mph. On the 75mph stretch I regenerated 3 miles of EV but most of that was blended back in for HV use because I was staying close to 75 MPH. On the 65 mph stretch I regenerated 2.5 miles of EV and that was stored and later utilized as EV. So I am experiencing if you drive above 65 or climb a lot of hills you will deplete most of your regenerated EV in HV mode. Otherwise it's stays stored & available when you want EV only.

jameskatt and andyprius like this.
  13. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting, and are you changing ev/hv mode along the way, or just letting the car do its thing?
    So you seem to be saying that CD vs CS (charge deplete vs charge sustain) in HV seems to be dependent on speed? I can't wait to get this car and play around.

14. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Didn't notice this was happening at first, since it was the first drive, but after about 50 to 60 miles was shocked to see the EV miles back where we started.

1 person likes this.
  15. SBFJohn

SBFJohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Exactly what I saw, started at .9mi EV went about 9 miles downhill at ~75mph gained 2.5 ev miles but lost some as I flattened out or as time went on more average grade returned to .9 miles EV. Then downhill for 6 miles at 60-65MPH gained about 2 miles those seemed to only deplete .1 or .2 at 75 on flat grade. Came off hwy with 3.3 miles of EV to drive to house!

jameskatt, andyprius and Tracksyde like this.
  16. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, on the drive back, I was always going 79 or 74, with the exception of one mountain pass which was only two lanes and people driving too slow. So it's not entirely clear to me how aggressively the battery pack gets depleted in HV mode given that I started with about 5.1 at the peak and ended up with 4.7.

1 person likes this.
  17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe it was because he was maintaining relatively fast speeds. The pack(s) were in a minimally charge mode because of a excessive load. Whereas, you John are probably driving in a more conservative manner, at least your videos indicate this. Hence, far better stats! :rockon:

1 person likes this.
  18. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    hah, wait until you see my videos :p

19. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If it were me, I'd be pissed.

The whole point of having a PHV is to charge the battery with a PLUG.

Yes, if you are coming down a 6% grade, then it would be nice to get some EV miles put back, since FE was probably 30 MPG going up.

But if a normal highway trip with zero elevation delta results in adding EV miles instead of blending back in, that means lower MPG. If you don't arrive at the next charging station with zero EV miles (or an ice-cold ICE), then either you are doing something wrong, or the car is.

20. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    keep in mind I intentionally left it in blended HV mode as opposed to EV mode. Why?

Simple, my mom has a 33-mile commute to work, of which the first 2.3 miles is on street driving with 40 mph speed limits, followed by freeway driving in the carpool lane. What I did was a strategic choice so that the following day she could drive gas-free on the low-speed portion of her commute and then have the engine kick in once she's on the freeway and driving at a constant highway speed.

I am very happy that the car let me do this.

(side note: again, look at my speeds. it would be a waste for HSD to waste battery power attempting to propel the car at 79 mph.)