1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another...another...another Prius accident

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by [email protected], Jan 24, 2007.

1. novox.robot@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Hey all, I've searched the forums for applicable info, couldn't find a thread, so I decided to join and post.

I'll get down to it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor pic quality, it was dark and my cell phone only has 1.3 megapixels. Anyway, yeah.

Stop and go on the freeway, person in front of me slams on the breaks, I slam on the breaks, everythings good, then Ford F250 behind me doesn't slam on fast enough and WHAM! into the back of my 2005 Prius. He hits me so hard that I go skidding into the car in front of me, we all pull off to the side and do the whole dance.

And now, my questions: Is it totaled? Basically, I think the entire rear end is going to need to be replaced. From the bumpers to the hatch back, tail lights, everything.

Another thing: When I turned the car on, EVERYTHING from the dash was illuminated. The gas squares were blinking on and off. The big triangle with the exclamation point was lit. The maintinance light was blinking. What does this mean? From my layman's standpoint, this is bad, but I know I'm ignorant.

The Ford F250's insuance company will hopefully be looking at it tomorrow (they're taking responsiblity, paying for my rental...Dodge Neon!! Oi..Vey), and I'm just driving myself crazy with speculation. Of course, at this point, I'd prefer that they total the car, because if they fix it, I will basically have NO resale value.

Also, I am researching personal injury lawyers just in case as well as orthopedics, even though right now I feel fine (except for a little crink in the left side of my neck). Everyone seems to be warning me that the symtoms could come on suddenly, two months from now.

All right, any advice, additional speculation, help, ideas, empathy, would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll need a new hatch, bumper, the emblems and taillights. Can't see if the rear fenders are damaged (probably are). All are replaceable except the rear fenders. Those are expensive to replace and may be the deciding factor in totalling the car.

Note to others: See that the F250 totally missed the Prius' rear bumper bar. It's this compatability difference that's the reason why people think SUVs are safer (I realise the F250 is a pickup but same thought).

3. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A few years ago, my 4 year old Volvo wagon got rear-ended in similar fashion by a guy driving a UHaul truck. I shopped around and got the highest repair estimate I could find. UHaul wrote me a check, I sold the wagon as-is to a body shop, and walked away. Amazingly, I wound up with $2K more than it was worth before the accident.

I've never seen the numbers work out like that, but that time they did. I would not have wanted the Volvo back in repaired condition, so I felt very lucky.

Anyways, cross your fingers. Maybe you'll have an option like that.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :( OUCH !!! That really hurts !!!

That points out one good use for the cellphone photo capability, but it's a drag to need to use it because of two inattentive freeway drivers.

As previously posted, "total" may depend on whether or how bad the rear body panels were damaged. From your description, it sounds as if there may also be electronics damage which could well push it to the "totalled" category. You didn't mention any perceived injury, like whiplash - sure hope there's isn't. Sounds like you need to be careful of any "Release" you sign in case an injury comes up later.

Good Luck on the resolution.

5. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ouch, another gas guzzler takes out a beautiful prius. I'm still fighting to get mine totaled, but I would demand a bigger rental than a neon. They gave me a full size and the ladys insurance is paying for it

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thegamejew @ Jan 24 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]380439[/snapback]</div>
    If the car is repairable, make sure that it is done at a body shop that is Prius certified by Toyota. Keyes Collision Center in Van Nuys is such a shop. They knew enough to persist and prevail upon the insurance company to pay to remove the HV battery from the car before placing car in the heated paint spray booth.

7. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 24 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]380451[/snapback]</div>
    I personally think that it makes it more dangerous to the other person driving the smaller car. Rather than two small cars hitting each other in their reinforced crumple zones, it's the big car smashing through the back windshield. Sure the SUV is safer in that case, but it's like the marine attitude "Better you than me"

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch.... So sorry to hear about your car. It's painful to look at the photos. Glad you are ok!

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 24 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]380451[/snapback]</div>
    For sure. These SUV's are running around and, in for the sake of a "tough look," are not compliant with basic things like bumper-height rules. Gack!

I'm glad you're okay, though. That's most important.

If the airbags went off, there's a greater chance that it's totalled since they're expensive to replace. It's a tough call, though; the car still might be straight more or less since it got hit directly from the back, the floor structure may have missed a significant portion of the force of the impact, and I can't remember if (as with lots of other cars) the quarter panels are welded to the roof section.

I don't think they are; perhaps that makes them easier to replace(?)

Hmmmm...I'm guessing they will NOT total it, unless you're insistant.
    [frown]