1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another automatic headlights question...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Ank, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Ank

Ank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Folks, newbie here. I read through the long automatic headlights thread with a lot of interest but maybe I missed something, or maybe I just didn't quite get it, so at the risk of boring you all to death, here's my question. (I did find answers to pieces of these questions but I couldn't tell if all of the following requirements would work together)

I have a 2011 Prius Four with Solar Package (US) manufactured in March 2011.

1) Is it possible to Convert to a headlight stalk that supports Auto, DRL and Fog from Canada? From the thread the answer seems to be yes, but wanted to confirm

2) If the previous answer is yes, is it possible to add separate DRLs and Fog lights to the car? Or will the headlights work at low power as DRL? Or what is the preferred approach?

3) And is it possible to make them work in conjunction? Basically, the light sensor controls the headlights and DRL in Auto mode such that in the daytime, Headlights are off, DRL on and vice versa at night (or dimming the headlights in the daytime to act as DRLs). Additionally, turning the foglight on turns the headlights on as well by default. Is there another preferred mode of operating/interaction between these three lights/modes?

4) Is it possible to ensure that following those mods, the green headlight indicator light on the dash turns on whenever the headlight is on - whether manually or automatically?

5) Is it also possible to wire it such that whenever the wipers are on any continual operating mode, headlights automatically turn on?

Addendum: I would also like to change out the horns - should that be done at the same time, or is that basically a completely different job?

And here's the kicker: All of the above work is totally beyond me. I can handle a lot of electrical/electronics stuff but don't have the abilities/confidence to do it in a car. Any recommendations of people who can help me with this? Either a garage, or members of this forum(I'd be happy to pay, of course)? I am in the Bay Area. Feel free to DM me, if you prefer.

Any guidance, thoughts, ideas, suggestions are welcome! The amount of information on this site is mindboggling and the work some of you have done on your cars is nothing short of inspiring.

Thanks,

Ank

2. Ank

Ank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi folks, bumping this to see if anyone had any thoughts? Thanks!

3. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    sorry i cant help you, but heres a free bump.

Ank likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you've got the electrical mods bug, bad. Fight the urge for a week or two, it'll pass. ;)

5. Ank

Ank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Haha, you're right, but this bug has been with me for as long as I can remember - you won't believe some of the jerry rigged home automation
    stuff I have built ( and subsequently been forced to either beautify or get rid of..). Also, the prius just begs for more coolness. I wouldn't wanna do any of this stuff to a corolla...

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  6. Ank

Ank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And thanks, kingnba6! Appreciate it!

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    From what I've experienced, the 2010-2011 can support true auto on/off with a new stalk at running a wire from the light sensor on the dash to the BCM.....however the US BCM does not support DRLs. There is a way to achieve DRLs via relays without the need of a DRL stalk.

If u want the wipers to activate the lights, I recommend getting a DEI model 545T. This unit adds auto lights & can automatically turn on the headlights when the wipers are activated.

8. EzTravler

EzTravler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

9. EzTravler

EzTravler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    YOU can order the Canadian headlight switch from ROCKAUTO>COM
    AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S7146 or the us version AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S10736

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Will this work on a 2012 prius two as well??

11. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the part numbers. I looked at the US version #1S10736. It appears to be one without fog lights and without auto lamp. So if I order the Canadian switch #1S7146, which is without fog lights and with auto lamp, will it work properly with my car?