1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another BT Stiffening Plate Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by zenkick, Jun 25, 2007.

1. zenkick

zenkick New Member

(Typically a lurker, but I know my way around...)

Today I received my plate, ramped the car, slid underneath, and got to work.

Unfortunately, my 4th bolt snapped at about 15 ft-lbs. All others went in at around 17-20.

(Brian @ BT was awesome and is sending me a new set, so no big deal I hope [I have yet to see how much of a pain to remove the broken bolt].)

Question I have though: Is the car safe to drive with only three properly torqued bolts mounted? I'm assuming so, but wanted some opinions from the forum. It's going in for Llumar tint tomorrow (9 windows, $200, lifetime guarantee) and just want to be certain.

Oh yah-- lesson learned: Use a ratchet/click torque wrench rather than the other type.

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, that is a little scary. Where did the bolt break? I am interested to hear if the bolt sheared off, because 15 ft./lbs. is not very much torque.

3. zenkick

zenkick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 25 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]468038[/snapback]</div>
    About three-four threads from the top-- middle of the BT plate's hole, I'm assuming. I'm sure it was my doing, considering the angle I was at. I probably put the wrong stress on it.

Now what sucks is I really have to get it raised to get under it to remove it. I may get lucky by locking a drill chuck on it, because I *really* do not want to have to drill it out.

Worst case, I'll take it to my friend's work and get it on the lift. Ergh.

Back to the question though-- safely drivable?

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    People have mentioned taking the stock plate completely off and driving, so I would say you are OK. Besides, most of the BT Tech Plate converts will tell you that having the stock plate is like having nothing anyway...

5. zenkick

zenkick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 25 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]468046[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I've read many a post on that side of the debate. It's quite religious sometimes when it comes to that particular mod... Myself, I just like to have an extra item to add to my sig.

Thanks for the assurance. ;-)

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No worries driving the car with the 3 bolts attached. I will make sure your new set of stainless bolts gets shipped to you tomorrow so you should receive them soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenkick @ Jun 25 2007, 11:34 PM) [snapback]468049[/snapback]</div>

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenkick @ Jun 25 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]468042[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you'll have enough to grip with a good pair of vice-grips. I just hope something didn't gall in there and really bugger it up.

Good luck!