1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another "buying used, need advice" thread

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Yazoo, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Yazoo

Yazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, sometime lurker, first time poster.

I'm located in Southern California and looking to purchase my first Prius. I can afford about $11k maximum, but of course I'd like to get whatever constitutes a "good deal".

Which years have been found to be consistently reliable? I'm aware of the issues with the 2010 model, but besides that?

Also, I'm considering trying to get a car with the Advanced Technology Package, since I think it might be nice to have radar cruise control, collision detection, etc., but I'd like to get some opinions from the Pre-eminent Prius People (yourselves) on how valuable of an upgrade this is.

Besides the tech pack, I mainly just care about Bluetooth/iPhone USB plugs. What model and budget would you recommend?

Best,
    Yaz

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually the later the years in a generation, the better. 2014-2015 for Gen 3.

For my area, insurance gives a discount if your car is equipped with AEB (which the AT package has) so if that applies to you, that’s worth a look.

I like the radar cruise even if it isn’t full speed like the newer Prius models. It makes highway driving more relaxing. Also the US version has LKA which is more active than the LDW w/ Steering Assist that comes with Toyota Safety Sense. (I.e. it’ll lightly steer around bends on the highway so it helps take the strain off your arms on long journeys)

Bluetooth handsfree is available on Three/III and above (with the JBL Audio) for 2010-2011. I believe it became standard for 2012.

Bluetooth audio streaming was available on models with navigation systems for 2010-2011 and... I can’t remember for 2012-2015.

USB/iPod is standard on all but early builds of 2010 (anything before Sept 2009 is missing it).

Yazoo likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Get the youngest one you can afford and budget a few hundred bucks to put a modern aftermarket stereo in it.

Everyone complains about how out of date the factory stereo/infotainment rigs are. Even the brand new, this-model-year ones.

If cabin technology is important to you and you can't afford the newest, something from a few years ago is really not going to make you happy. Put in a nice deck with the features you want and you'll enjoy the car even more.

Yazoo likes this.
  4. Yazoo

Yazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input!

Does this mean you think I should be able to get a 2014-2015 for my budget of $11k?

I appreciate this suggestion. The main reason I'm looking at the tech pack is for the safety/driver assist features. I'm alright with an older model and would consider swapping the head unit. What year do you think is reasonable for my budget?

Thanks again.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. I'm not located in the US so I'm not as familiar with the used car market. We have plenty of CA members so hopefully one or more of them can chime in regarding pricing.

Also, according to my own thread (lol) : 3G Prius (2010-2015) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat

Bluetooth handsfree and streaming audio became standard in 2012.

Changes:
    - New Sea Glass Pearl. Nautical Blue replaces Blue Ribbon and Sandy Beach is discontinued
    - New front bumper
    - New taillights
    - LED DRLs with On/Off Feature
    - LED parking lights on Five model
    - Automatic headlights on Four and Five models
    - SofTex synthetic leather replaces leather on Four and Five
    - New Dark Charcoal two-tone interior
    - POWER button is now blue
    - HUD available on Four and Five
    - New available JBL GreenEdge audio system
    - Display Audio w/ 6.1" touchscreen standard
    - Vehicle Information w/ Customizable Settings
    - Bluetooth Handsfree and Music Streaming
    - USB port w/ iPod Connectivity and Control
    - Plasmacluster deleted from Four and Five models
    - Water-Repellent Front Door Glass deleted from Four and Five models
    - Available 10-way power driver's seat
    - Advanced Parking Guidance System discontinued
    - New 15" alloys w/ wheelcover design
    - Updated LED lowbeam lighting
    - Updated MID w/ 3D effect and climate control readout
    - Improved sound insulation
    - Revised suspension tuning
    - Updated 5" Multi-Information Display w/ Eco Savings Record
    - Vehicle Proximity Notification System
    - Headlight cover no longer tinted blue
    - Blue accented Hybrid Synergy Drive emblems

Yazoo likes this.
  6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For $11K, you are going to buying a higher mileage Gen 3, period. From a mechanical standpoint, the 14-15’s have a slight advantage since most of them were built with different piston rings that are less likely to develop oil consumption issues. All of the 10-15’s will experience head gasket and/or EGR issues eventually. The forum has many posts of the 10-12’s due to mileage; as the 13-15’s get older you will start seeing the same sad stories. These cars are fairly problem-free until 150K, but once beyond that point, they are best owned by a capable DIYer.

mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not as well versed as others already in this thread, but if you want the Toyota Safety Sense driver assist/safety features I think that means 2016 and later, and I don't see that happening in California for $11k. Even our 2018 has an early generation TSS suite, they've added a lot since then.

The infotainment can be retrofitted but the safety stuff can't be, at least for now.

vvillovv likes this.