1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another camping inverter question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by El Cuajinais, May 23, 2018.

1. El Cuajinais

El Cuajinais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I’ve read quite a few threads buy all have varying opinions so I thought I would ask with my specifics:

I have a both a 2010 Prius and a 2013 Prius v. They seem to be identical in terms of the power train. Usually I would take the v for camping but I have a brake issue so I’m taking the hatchback, but the question is for both:

Is it safe to do this?

1. Connect this 400W inverter to the 12V battery using the clips that come with the inverter.
    Everstart 400W LCD Power Inverter - Walmart.com

1. Leave the car ON in READY mode, in parking gear.

1. Connect these patio lights to the 165W total, 8 amps.

Would I risk damaging anything by doing this?

1. If this is safe, can I also charge 2 phones while the patio lights are also on? I guess I might as well charge the phones with the car chargers I already have, not the 400W inverter, but the question on whether I can do the phones and patio lights at the same time still stands.

Thanks and sorry if this info is readily available but I’ve been reading for a good chunk of time and I would like to hear opinions specific to the hardware I would like to use. Thanks again.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi ,

It's all safe, what you're proposing, but I notice a couple of things.

The inverter you're considering is a "modified sine wave" type, not a true sine wave output. If I had a choice, I would avoid powering electronics, like your phone chargers, with it. If you already have phone chargers that will work from DC directly, that would be the way to go.

The incandescent light string won't be harmed by the "modified sine" output, though it might sound (yes, sound) a bit funny, and/or mess up nearby radio reception a bit.

Speaking of the light string, that 165 total watts will be giving you about 990 lumens of light.

You could buy four one-meter lengths of this for sixty bucks, drape them around your campsite the same way, run them straight off the 12 volt battery (no inverter needed, so less total cost than your light string + inverter), and have 880 lumens of light, and you'd be using twelve and a half watts. Or throw in a fifth one-meter length, $75, still right around your lights+inverter cost, 1100 lumens, under 16 watts.

There are a lot of other selections available at that site. I made sure to search for waterproof (as I expect you'd string it outdoors), and warm white (which would match the effect you probably had in mind with your incandescent string).

Just an idea of alternatives you could consider.

-Chap

qettyz and TheChip like this.
  3. El Cuajinais

El Cuajinais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks very much for your reply and suggestions Chap. I see you were also the person that commented on my other thread with the ABS actuator issue on my Prius v. I'm still working on that but now I have more clarity. I will post the conclusion to my ABS Actuator saga when I get it fixed. (At the moment I replaced the booster pump/accumulator assembly and that did not fix the issue).