1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another hitch question, Curt stabilizing strap, Yay or Nay??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Snagtooth, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Snagtooth

Snagtooth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently purchased a Curt Hitch for my 2008 with the only intention of using it for a 2 bike rack. At the time, I completely missed the need to use a stabilizing strap requirement. So before I send it back and go with a Draw-Tite, can those of you who have a Curt hitch weigh in on whether or not you use the stabilizing strap or not?

Other than the hassle of returning, the price difference between the two is fairly negligible.

2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think this is a CYA thing from Curt. I've never seen anyone use a stabilizing strap, and I've never heard of any failure from not using one.

Snagtooth likes this.
  3. Snagtooth

Snagtooth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the reply.

That's what I was wondering. I'll only be hauling around an aluminum adult bike most of the time and occasionally my son's bike, so I only expect the bikes to weigh about 50-60 pounds at most. I can use a strap or two, if needed. I suppose it's not a major hassle to be extra safe.

Was just curious what other experiences have been since the other threads I searched were dated and no one seemed to specifically mention the straps.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a lot of slop where the bike rack sits in the receiver causing a rattle?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is. The Curt on mine recommends that too, but clearly doesn't actually need it.

Snagtooth likes this.
  6. Snagtooth

Snagtooth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven’t installed it yet, since I was debating returning for the Draw-Tite. Didn’t really want to return it, as I’ve read the redesign is pretty robust for purpose of just transporting bikes.

I also have seen you can buy a clamp for securing the shank to the receiver and may get one of those if needed. My hope is to find a good fitting 2 bike rack that won’t require any more parts and thereby eliminate unnecessary weight from the setup.

7. MikeNinMass

MikeNinMass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the strap. It works well, and I use it except when carting a single bike around town. I wouldn't think about not using it on the highway. The whole assembly becomes rock-solid, and the strap is a really lightweight solution. I was surprised at how stable it became; I think it was a bit shaky on the highway without it, although the rack seemed really solid (and made in USA).

The strap is really easy to use, and I just throw it and a 3/4" socket/wrench in the left bin under the floor hatch so they're around all the time. I forget what the original way to mount the strap was, but I just double up the end of the loop as a slip-loop over the lower of the top-bar hooks of the rack.

Meg&Bear likes this.