1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another New Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tstreet, May 28, 2005.

1. tstreet

tstreet New Member

Picked up my Red Salsa, Package #3 yesterday after seven weeks wait. Immediately upgraded the tires to Goodyear Comfort Treads. Although I wasn't thrilled with immediately spending more money on tires, I did receive a $100 credit for the Integritys and a $40 rebate (Goodyear) from Discount Tires. Wanted to avoid a lot of those potential traction issues outlined in previous posts, so hope I made a good decision. Although they supposedly have slightly less wet traction than the Hydroedges, they are supposed to ride somewhat more smoothly so the tradeoff seems worth it.

In any event, I'm ecstatic with the new ride. But what will I do with all my free time now that I'm no longer focusing on getting my new Prius?

2. Beacher

Beacher Member

Congrats tstreet! Our Salsa is suppose to be in next week and I'm also planning on immediately trading the tires in for Comfortreds. The Goodyear dealer is charging me $200 total for the swap including mounting and balancing. I'm not thrilled about spending the money either, but this will be my wife's car and I know she will freak if she has problems with handling or the traction control.

3. mark_hamrick

mark_hamrick New Member

Congratulations to you tstreet and Bleacher! You will find that Salsa is the best Pri color and other Pri owners will be staring at yours with a look of longing and desire...IMHO of course! Have fun!

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Five points to the NOOB and five more for getting the best color!

5. majordude

majordude Member

I have no complaints about the stock treads. I have tried them on different pressures and now have them at 40/38.

6. Beacher

Beacher Member

Majordude, I'm guessing you don't get a lot of snow in the OC. :) I know we are going to want better tires come next winter, especially because we live at the top of a hill. I might as well switch when the OEM tires are brand new so I can at least get a few bucks out of them.

7. Beacher

Beacher Member

Pretty cool, but $800? Yow!

8. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's easy - you'll be driving it! Congrats!

9. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

Trying to think of all of the after market products and mods your going to do.

PS: Congrats on the new ride.

10. Anbreen

Anbreen New Member

Hi folks!

Like tstreet, I am the new owner of salsa red! I'm in San Diego. As you know, gas prices in CA are among the worst in the country.. though a lot of the gas comes from CA :cry:

I finally decided to look for a Prius Friday night. i was told that CA has long waiting lists. :( :( I posted to Edmunds.com... dealers either didn't reply, or told me to come in and get on the list. :cry:

Except of ONE dealer-- Eric @ Kearney Mesa Toyota.. about 7 miles away from me. :D He emailed AND called.. told me he had FIVE among which to choose.

By the time I got there, he had three-- a red one with package #1, a gold with package #6, and a white with package #4. My needs are simple... I bought the red one.

No wait. it was three hours from decision to ownership. AND the customer service was GREAT.. I recommend Eric's folks highly.

BTW-- I tried to check out the S.D. forum here. No go.. how does one contact those folks?

Thanks a bunch!

11. NCnurse

NCnurse New Member

Hi Folk, another new Prius owner here in NC, driftwood pearl. I had a choice between it and Black, need I say more. Drove up to the dealership, and there she stood ready and waiting on me. I thought really hard about the blue, but decided to take the baby as she sat there. Package 4 is not too shabby either! She is a great lil ride. I travel I40 to work every day and she arose well to the challenge. I just love my Prissy Prius

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:4aec448d20]Don't replace the initial oil until your engine parts seat, maybe your second oil change.

Us Mac users have had the iSight for a while now. The current version of iChat lets four people video-chat at the same time.[/font:4aec448d20]

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galtgulch\";p=\"98840)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:2c12768b89]
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The recommeded US oil change interval is 5000 miles, according to the Maintenance manual supplied with the car. Changing to synthetic oil, with its higher lubricity, too soon can prevent engine parts from wearing together and cause oil leaks in the long term.

This isn't a big deal, but you can easily go 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic for the next 200,000 miles. Switching too soon hurts, not helps.

Look me up sometime on iChat.[/font:2c12768b89]

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Same here. Only for me it was Howard Sheehy at Kearny Mesa Toyota. He e-mailed me they had a Black #1 on Sat. night. I was leaving for Vegas but when I got back Wed. I called and it was still there. Went and test drove it and bought it. They had already sold 4 Prii that day. The only thing I didn't get was the gray/burgundy interior I wanted. (Next time. My next Prius will have a gray interior. Hmm....wonder what it will look like in 2015?)

Congrats!

Be sure and join the Prius Club San Diego. Our next meeting is in August.

BTW don't be surprised if you keep getting e-mails from Mossy Toyota for the next few weeks. It took several repeats of "Thank you but I already bought a Prius" before they stopped e-mailing me.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

OK, I believe we need to clarify something.

DO change your oil and filter every 5000 miles. This is required to maintain your warranty.

If youw want to SWITCH to synthetic, do so no sooner than your first scheduled oil change at 5000. You can switch at 10,000 if you wish.

Lets not confuse some people with SWITCHING versus CHANGING. We may end up causing someone denied warranty work because they didn't have an oil change done at required intervals.