1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another question about preventative maintainance...... Oil consumption, lack of, and oil can?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cdherman, Oct 24, 2021.

1. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2011 with 130k miles purchased new. It has seen nothing but good synthetic oils, and last 60k or so, just Mobil 1. Last couple years, I've been trending towards the extended mileage formulations. Getting older, not so much love of changing oil. The car burns zero oil. Dip stick level and oil pan at end of 12-15k miles indicates a full 4.4q drain.

I want the car to run a long time. Planning on spark plugs, clean out of the EGR valve and cooler (already have both acquired used and cleaned) and a new Toyota water pump.

Other stuff like coolant in engine and inverter done last year. Transaxel fluid done twice thus far, once at 60k and again at 120k.

THE QUESTION: For a vehicle that burns little or NO oil, why would I do an oil catch can? And do I need to worry about cleaning out the intake manifold?

Sgt Bill likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would do 5k mile oil changes. These engines do burn oil when they get older. My car did not burn a drop until 150k but then it became routine to lose a couple of quarts in between oil changes. Even if it means having Walmart do it using your oil. They have Toyota oil filters and they are not the knock off versions.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The reason they call it PREVENTATIVE maintenance is pretty obvious.

+1 on clubbing up to a 5,000 mile OCI.

After reading any 10 threads concerning the Prius Death Rattle, I don’t know why somebody would NOT use an oil catch can or proactively clean their EGR circuit, unless they only intend to use their G3 for the first 150,000 miles of its life cycle….

Good Luck!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oil catch cans separate "some" of the oil/gas/water vapour that the PCV circuit steadily delivers to the intake manifold, intake ports and combustion chamber. Your 2011 Prius has the lower tension piston rings that are more prone to blow-by and clogging. I think an oil catch can is good idea at any time. And yeah, the intake manifold cleaning is always a good idea; pay particular attention to the EGR passageways.