1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another red triangle of death thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sjr14221, Mar 4, 2012.

1. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I searched the other threads for some time but found no answer...

2004 prius package 9. 207,000 miles. Upstate NY somewhat hilly mostly highway (45 mph++) driving.

Have recently been getting intermittent red triangle of death. At first, only noticed it when starting the car. Then, it appeared briefly with a chime while driving a few times; I was going around curves at the time. Now, I've been getting an error sometimes when I park. It says something is wrong with park and will chime when I open the door. If I restart the car and move it slightly, the park error will go away.

It seems to me that something may be wrong with brake system since most of these things happen while I have my foot on the brakes. I qualify this with the statement that I KNOW NOTHING about cars.

I plan to have the 12volt replaced (its time), I will get a new battery for the key fob (its getting weak again), and to have the dealer clean out the hybrid vent in the back seat.

BTW, dealer found codes that suggested an electrical connection was faulty but said it could be anywhere. Really helpful.

Also, perhaps somewhat unrelated, my mileage has been dropping lately from 48-54 mpg winter/summer to 42-46 mpg winter/summer. Since I am at the dreaded 8 year point, it may very well be that I will need a new battery soon.

thanks for any ideas,

Sharon

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You have to publish the codes for experienced Prius owners to help you. Without the codes, we can't determine possible sources of the problem.

JeffD

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12V. battery

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    thanks; I don't have the codes - I am just looking for ideas from owners with similar problems and what were the results to present to the dealer when I take it back in.

Sharon

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately without the codes, we are basically shooting in the dark...