1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another reversed polarity jump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by channing watson, Jan 16, 2019.

1. channing watson

channing watson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a prius that was reverse polarity jumped (don't ask) at the jump terminals in the front. I replaced the blown 120a fuse at the battery and temporarily bridged the 100a DC/DC fusible link where it blew.

Tried to start it, it coughed and sputtered, started running with a misfire that wasn't there before, went to start charging the HV battery and died with the triangle, vsc, etc.

I cleared all codes and tried again, same deal except now my HV banks are down to ~10v and are extremely out of balance with each other.

Not sure where to start. I am getting C1259, C1310, P2118 and replace hybrid battery pack consistently.

I just filed for chapter 7 due to some family deaths and was going to re-affirm the loan on the car (still owe about 2k) but am kind of tempted to just let it go now. I have replaced HV cells 4 or 5 times now and in general this car has been a pain in my butt. Original hybrid battery died at 98k

2. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FYI. If you (let it go!) You still owe the balance of the loan. It will not erase loan.

3. channing watson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the middle of chapter 7, I wont owe anything if the loan is not re-affirmed. The bank gets the car and that's the end of that.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With family tragedy, bankruptcy and a screwed up car...letting this go is the least of your worries. Your credit hit takes 7-10 years to undo so walk away from this $2,000 debt and additional money problem.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah a reverse polarity jumped Prius can be anything from "whoops" and it starts right back up to "instant death you will never fix". Yours sounds like the latter.

[​IMG]

6. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I would probably let it go, sounds like a lot of things got messed up with the reverse polarity.
    You got enough things going on in your life to deal with without having a car that may require a lot of money to get running again is not something you need to add to your stresses. You'd be better off to go find a cheap car to get around in at a Buy Here pay Here lot.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. channing watson

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For anyone who finds this in the future. I swore I checked all of the fuses but missed the ETCS fuse, which was blown. Replacing it allowed the car to run in park correctly. Maybe I can save this thing after all.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Best wishes if that's all...but you still have to decide whether this specific secured debt (vehicle) is financially and mechanically wise before the Judge renders your case.