1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another thread about a dead Optima battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nords, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday we returned from an 82-day trip off the island. While we were gone, we asked the neighbor to drive our 2006 Prius. The car's Optima battery is 4.5 years old. This neighbor is not mechanically inclined but we talked about the risk of draining the 12v battery by leaving the hatch open or an interior light on.

She drove the car daily for about three weeks, and then she said that during one series of errands the car unexpectedly refused to start. The dashboard lit up with yellow caution lights (check engine, traction control, maintenance required, TPMS) but no red lights. She called a tow truck. She was upset and distracted and she's not sure whether he attempted to jumpstart the car (she's still not mechanically inclined). The car was loaded on the truck's platform and brought home, where it sat in the driveway for two months.

Maybe something in the Prius broke, or maybe she left the hatch unlatched. When I came home and looked over the car, the hatch latch was engaged but not fully latched. Nobody's sure of the events leading up to the problem, and so far I'm unlikely to figure that out. However I'm sure that the 12v battery is discharged.

I can jumpstart the car just fine, and it runs great until it's shut off. Then the Optima doesn't even have enough power to light up the MFD, let alone try to boot up the car. I've read that discharged Optima batteries are very slow to charge from the Prius' charging system, and perhaps it needs more charging time. Each time I jumpstarted the car, the dashboard display went to normal (no yellow lights) and I'm not reading any codes on my old CarMD OBD reader.

I've read other threads on Optima battery issues, and I seem to have three choices:
    1. Buy a new Optima battery. But if this is what I get after "just" 4.5 years then maybe I want an OEM battery from the dealer.

2. Buy an OEM battery and forget about Optimas.

3. Buy a battery charger and see if I can recharge the Optima. I'm mildly concerned about the battery's reliability, and a charger might be a waste of time for a shaky old Optima.

I'm tempted to buy a new battery (either Optima or OEM) just to be able to run the car and see whether the inverter is recharging the 12v battery. Are there any specific fuses or relays or fusible links I should check to see if the inverter's battery-charging circuit is still working?

What am I missing? Anything else I should check?

To further complicate matters, the neighbor took the owner's manual out of the car and misplaced it. So now I'm seeking an online reference or even a printed manual-- especially for fuse names & numbers. But that's not a priority until I need to go fuse-picking.

Here's a related dumb question: when the car is shut off, it's supposed to automatically shift the transmission to Park. If the 12v battery is dead, is there any way to shift the transmission into neutral so that the car can be pushed a few feet to get it out of the intersection and into a driveway?

2. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you try and charge the battery, there is a special Optima Battery Charger for AGM batteries, but it's not cheap ($200). I just swapped out the 12-Volt Optima Battery in my 2006 Prius after 5 years of use. I bought new positive and negative battery terminals from the dealership and then bought a Prius specific Optima Battery direct from the factory. The first Optima battery I installed required me to change out the battery terminals because at the time Optima didn't sell a Prius specific 12-volt battery.

Digital 1200 Lead-Acid Battery Charger | OPTIMABATTERIES

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    During a three month absence, it would be much better for you to fully-charge the 12V battery prior to storage, then disconnect the battery and let the car sit there - instead of having a well-meaning but clueless neighbor drive the car.

Since you can jumpstart the car, it becomes READY, and no warning lights are on, then no damage was caused to the car. Just buy a new 12V AGM battery and you will be good.

If you want to try to charge the Optima battery, use a battery charger for AGM batteries, set to the 10A rate and leave it alone at least a full day or until the charger indicates the battery is fully-charged. Then connect the battery to the Prius and see how well it functions under daily use.

As to the choice between GS Yuasa sold by Toyota dealer parts departments vs. Optima, I would certainly buy the former, especially since the Toyota battery is now covered under the 84 month prorated TrueStart warranty. Make sure that the battery you purchase has the TrueStart stickers on it advertising that extended warranty period, and look at the date code at the top center label which should show manufacture date in a DDMMYY format.

#3 Patrick Wong, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It should also be remembered that the OEM battery along with most other makes has nearly 20% more amp hour capacity than the Optima. This extra capacity represents over 2 weeks extra standby use in the Prius.
    The reason for this is that the Optima with it's circular cells wastes space in it's construction loosing amp hour capacity compared with traditional flat plate construction.

John (Britprius)

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the optima was originally touted by some here, as being able to withstand a complete draining with no detrimental effects, as opposed to the oem. i guess this would be the perfect test.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At the same level of discharge the OEM battery would have 20% charge capacity left when the Optima was fully drained.

John (Britprius)

7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And it is TOTALLY unnecessary.
    A $50 automatic tender type charger will work just fine in most circumstances........being totally dead though is not one.

There are a couple of other brands who are making Prius direct replacement AGM batteries now. There are threads on here about this.
    Batteries PLus is one place that has them.

At 4.5 years old and allowed to sit dead for two months.......trying to revive that battery is probably a waste of time.

8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Particularly in a warm climate.

9. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Another alternative to the OEM/Optima battery is the Exide FP-AGM51JIS,

Exide Technologies Online Parts Catalog

I've had the OEM, Optima, and currently the Exide in my 2006. The Exide has been in service for nearly five years and will fit the original battery cables without a kit. Quite happy with the Exide, get either the OEM or Exide whichever is less expensive.

#9 hchu1, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  10. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Given previous posts here, I don't think ANYTHING will be as expensive as an OEM; especially if you pay a dealer to install it.

The Exide is an AGM and that is a BIG advantage, even if it were to cost a bit more.
    I don't think the OEM is AGM.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The correct GS Yuasa battery is AGM.

I also have one of the Exide batteries and it is a good choice. It has a four year warranty, un-prorated.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm quite happy with the optima in my 2010. I've charged and discharged that battery many times before I actually installed it into my car (used it as an external battery for my power inverter). With several deep discharges, the battery showed no ill effects. Still going strong.

13. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, everyone, I'll just buy a new battery from the local dealer monopoly or (if it's on the island) an Exide. (I had to do the terminal swap for the Optima but I'm pretty sure I have the old terminal in the auto parts cabinet.) While I'd like to have a lifetime 12v battery, apparently I'm just going to have to revert to buying new every four years.

The battery in our 2005 Prius (our second car) is just over four years old. That car normally gets driven only 1000-2000 miles/year, and it happily sat in the garage for at least 82 days-- maybe more than 90 days-- with no problems. But disconnecting the + terminal before we leave is a good addition to our travel checklist. We learned an awful lot about extended travel on this trip.

When I jumped the 2006 Prius (after it sat in the driveway for a couple months) the ICE started very rough, almost as if a spark plug or fuel injector was bad. But in a couple seconds it ran smoothly. Another interesting symptom is that the gas gauge displayed one blinking pip for several minutes after startup. I thought our neighbor had let the car run out of gas and I added a gallon from our storage container. However as I drove the car, within a few minutes the gas gauge went up to four pips.

As for the well-meaning but clueless neighbor-- she has to learn these skills from somewhere and using the car was part of her payment. It was the right thing to do. I'm just sorry that the 12v battery was less reliable than I thought.

Has anyone had to figure out how to push a Prius around when it won't start and it needs to be moved out of the way? I'd hate to learn that the transmission automatically locks in Park when the car is shut off, and is stuck there until the car can be started up.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The transmission automatically locks in Park. To get it out of Park you need to connect a 12V source and put the gear selector in N. Then if you pull the P CON MTR fuse or the P CON MTR relay, the gear selector should remain in N after the 12V source is removed.

I'm not crazy about the idea of casually lending a Prius out because of the botched jumpstart scenario. If the inverter is destroyed because of that, you are facing a four-digit repair unless you can DIY install a used unit.

15. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Some owner preference settings probably will be lost by doing that. In addition, it will probably take the computers some time to "re-learn" things they need to know.

If you have power in your garage, a small automatic battery maintainer probably would be a better choice; once a month while you are home too.

Given your usage, I think you are somewhat lucky that the old one has lasted that long.

16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Other than the obvious -- a real Toyota battery will fit with no modifications --

There is one other significant difference with the Toyota batteries.

The TrueStarts have not only a 24-month free replacement, that 24 months includes free roadside assistance, towing and installation....

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  17. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, thanks. Very good to know. I was afraid that the design would be something simple like that.

After I jump-started the car the first time, I drove it to a local gas station to fill the tank. The car wouldn't start after filling up, so I stood there with jumper cables in hand seeking a Good Samaritan. The station manager was quick to inform me that I couldn't use jumper cables near their gas pumps. I had shifted the car to neutral at the pump before shutting it off, but of course when I shut it off its transmission went to Park. I tried to push the car away from the pump but all I accomplished was verifying that the transmission was in Park.

I explained the design feature to the station manager, who grumbled off to consult with their boss. That gave me a couple minutes to jumpstart the car and leave.

As a design feature, the consequences of a dead 12v battery seem pretty severe. It was also an interesting challenge explaining to the average driver why I wanted a jumpstart from their ICE vehicle when my Prius is "full of batteries". And also explaining why the 12v battery isn't under the hood. And then having to explain why, no, we can't just pop up the hatchback to look at a dead 12v battery.

You would hope that during the last decade, nearly every tow truck driver in America would have towed or jumpstarted a Prius. I'd speculate that the botched jumpstart is much less likely than it used to be.

With a choice of losing the radio's presets or draining the battery, I'd prefer to disconnect the battery cable. I'm not sure how long an ECU takes to re-learn its settings but the car sounded fine within the first couple miles. I'll keep an eye on the MPG to see if there's any other effect, but so far everything seems to be good.

I'm hesitant to run more electrical appliances in the house while I'm away on extended travel. During this trip we shut off everything except the fridge, the network router/DVR, and the aquarium air pump. In retrospect we should've emptied the fridge and shut it off too.

Again, you'd hope that the average 12v battery could handle four years of intermittent use. Maybe it helps to be in a tropical climate where the battery never sees temperature extremes.

We've talked about dropping down to a one-car family but its operating costs are low enough that it seems better to promote the marital harmony of his & hers vehicles. I never get any grief about covering "my" car in sand and surf wax, but that might change if it was "our" car.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind, the prius battery is quite small, and under constant drain. they could have put in a larger battery, but you can say that about anything.

19. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, I can see the DVR but only if you have recordings set that you can't stand to miss.
    But the router ?? They reboot in a few seconds and should have no (legitimate) use while you are not there.

I don't think I have ever seen a battery company recommend just letting one sit there.
    90 days might not be a problem but longer than that having a float charger would be good.

20. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again for the diagnostic help and the recommendations.

The new battery is in, and the car seems fine. After the swap I had to cycle the power locks before the back hatch would open again. I also had to shut off the backup beep again and program a couple of radio stations.

The new battery is a GS Yuasa S34B20R rated at 20Hr, 35Ah, and 272 CCA.

I called all over the island for an Exide. Exide's website doesn't list a retailer here. I tried Sears, Interstate, and even Battery Bill. Nobody carries it. One rumor is that Toyota has licensed compatible batteries with 2010 model years and later, but not earlier. Amazon won't ship to Hawaii because batteries are considered too hazardous to send outside the 48 contiguous states.

Servco Toyota Waipahu charged $300. That's just for the battery. It took me 20 minutes to do the swap (including replacing the Optimus terminals with the original ones), and I wasn't even going to ask Servco what they'd charge for installation.

When I put the MFD in maintenance mode, the battery read 12.7v. With the car powered up it was receiving a 14.5v charge.

In a few weeks I'll replace the battery in our 2005 Prius: a GS Yuasa S46B24R rated at 20Hr, 45Ah, and 325 CCA. It's actually $10 cheaper even though it's for the SKS model. The two batteries seem to have the same dimensions but I'm not sure whether this one is compatible with a base-model Prius.

Our Series 2 TiVo uses the network to update its two-week programming schedule every few days. My spouse is happily working her way through 82 days of recordings...

I'm glad that job is finished. South shore surf is coming up next week and now I'm ready.