1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yikes! Do you all really like your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MarthaW, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

Relax... Get your car and read the manual (yes, it's really worth your time). It takes a while to get accustomed to the feel of a Prius. The gas tank... fill it up when you need to... simple. It may take well over 400 miles to get there, but that's one of the benefits.
    The air conditioner/climate control can be handled via touch screen or steering wheel... nothing you wouldn't find in other new cars. We never had acceleration problems that you mentioned. When we go on a vacation, we press a little button under the steering wheel that turns off the proximity key thingy...(in the manual).

Really, we love the car. It's dependable, easy to drive, can hold a lot of stuff and even though it was purchased for commuting, the car proved itself for road trips. It feels good on the highway at 85mph...(Don't scold me for that, I was being passed by dozens of vehicles at the time.) The Prius CVT transmission is similar to the CVT in our Audi. (CVTs don't have the engine revs and shifting normally associated with automatic transmissions.)

So enjoy your new car... learn as you drive and you'll soon learn to love it as well. Once you are fully acquainted with you car, you'll be amazed by the nay-sayers and misinformation people have about the Prius.

-Nda3rdcar

2. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All the time, now that the weather's getting cooler and the dew is on the front/rear glass in the mornings. Otherwise it's a few button presses on the MFD while I'm trying to get going in the morning.

3. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: the gas bladder, there essentially three issues people have.

If the filler keeps cutting off when you know it's not full, try a different pump. Filling slower can also help.

If it really is full, don't try to top it off. The tank can "burp" and spew out gas if it's overfilled.

Fill it up right away when it gets down to one pip. Because of the variability of the bladder, you can't conclude that 1 pip left = 50 miles, even if that worked before.

4. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay...am I the only one who smells troll here?

Just saying that these seem like the kind of questions that are...well, troll like.

I may be wrong and bitter and all, but just throwing that out. :cool:

5. MarthaW

MarthaW New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well, I don't know what a troll is but if it is someone who asks questions and doesn't really want the answers, then that is not me. I put my $500 down at Capital Toyota in Chattanooga, TN and have been waiting since June. They kept calling me with white or dark gray and I wanted a color. My first choice was green, but light blue or even red was OK. Finally, they just called and said that they have a light blue on the way and I can have it if I want it.
    I have been doing a lot of reading and just wanted to see if everyone was happy with their cars or if all these "problems" were a big deal or just little things that you had to get used to.
    Sorry if I seemed to know too much to be a potential new owner. I'll try to dumb it down a little for you next time. :)

Martha

6. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    martha,

i still get my fav question almost every day.......how long do you plug it in?

stick around... youll learn tons and form your own opinion...have you test driven a prius yet?

7. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Reow! ;)

Most of us didn't think you were trolling. Hopefully this thread has answered most of your questions adequately. There are FAQs available in the newbie forum which I'd highly encourage you to check out. I studied them before my car arrived and immediately I was getting over 50mpg from my first tank on in 90-100 degree heat and very hilly commuting!

8. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    'dumb it down'? Oh, troll like indeed. But I'll let you go a bit more....

See, this site gets trolls, who ask the sort of questions you did, just to start flame wars.

Like, 'I hear the battery blows up when you get in an accident' that sort of question. It's happened a lot here.

When you reply with 'dumb it down' that puts up flags to me. Sorry.

9. MarthaW

MarthaW New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes. I did get to test drive one but it was so long ago that I hardly remember anything. I just remember that I really liked the feel of it and that I averaged 49 mpg on the test drive. I also remember that it was suprisingly easy to get in and out of for a smaller car. I tried the Honda Hybrid and it was so low to the ground that it was much harder to get in and out of. Oh, and I also loved the rear view camera. What a neat feature!
    OK, so what IS a troll?

:confused:

10. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In internets speak, a TROLL is one who comes into a forum, armed with posts that will solicit responses that will cause a 'fight' or as it is known, a 'flame war' . Usually they come in, do what they will, and leave quickly or get banned in their attempt.

If your questions are genuine, then my apologies.

11. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

we ( my wife and i ) also shared your experience with the honda civic hybrid.
    the backup camera is a standard feature on all 2nd gen prii if im not mistaken. ( which i may totally be :) )

12. MarthaW

MarthaW New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    No sweat! I tell you what. I will post a picture of my new baby when it arrives. That would be very untroll like, wouldn't it?

One is left to wonder what the possible motive of trolling might be. Oh, well........

Martha

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    keep in mind (just in case your pedal ever does get stuck) that your prius loves to stop. braking takes priority over acceleration. where as in a conventional car, you would doing brake stands... the prius just transfers the extra power into electricity.

14. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Marthaw, no worries about your questions. TJ recently traded in a hybrid vehicle for a muscle car and the guilt is getting to him. Please keep asking your questions but try to do a search on the topic beforehand because almost every topic has been covered before.

Welcome to PC! :)

15. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, you are. :)
    It's included at a Package 2 or higher, but it is possible to get a Base model with no options that excludes the camera as well as a couple other things.

16. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    LOVE MINE:D Put on 30K miles in 9 months and saved big $$$. Summer mileage over 50. The car fits me great, drives great, does what I expect, and no real problems so far (that I did not cause myself). I honestly wish I had purchased 2 of them last fall. I'll buy another next year and then probably 2 more in 2010. I'll keep one gas guzzling truck for my race equipment.:eek:

17. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Um, do I know you? Not sure. But since I don't think I know you at all, I will say this: There is no guilt (none whatsoever from me; do you feel some guilt I don't know about?), about trading my Hybrid Highlander for a Mustang...And I still own my Prius, thanks.

:focus:

I still love my Prius, as that is the topic on hand.

18. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The motive of some trolls are to disrupt things. On some boards, to dissuade this, you have to post a certain amount of posts, in certain sections, until you have accumulated enough posts to start a thread, or similar scenarios.

WHY the trolls want to disrupt, by my best guess, is because they are juvenile, and thus act accordingly.

Love to see the pics when they come out! :)

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reported!! I had to report the nudity which isn't in context with the discussion.

Just kidding, please don't kick me out.

20. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Prius is here to stay. I am looking at the long term forecast of gas prices and having the peace of mind. Heck ya....I really like my Prius. ;)