1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yikes! Do you all really like your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MarthaW, Sep 23, 2008.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's the only car I've ever owned that I actually miss when I'm away from it for any extended amount of time. Especially when I go on vacation and have to drive a rental car, that makes the yearning worse. It's a great feeling to come home and see the trusty little thing sitting quietly in my garage, like a loyal old dog.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a whole history of hybrid skeptic tall tales including exploding batteries; electrocuted brake jobs; moonscape manufacturing ... the list goes on and on and every time the gas dips down a little, another piece of nonsense shows up.
    It is the first car I like to drive ... just to drive.
    Hybrid skeptics play upon fears using lies, deceit, and any other mischief they can dream up. They are not your friends.

If you don't like the Prius, you can turn around and sell if for nearly as much, possibly more than you paid for it. Not everyone likes a Prius but that you came here to ask means you have the right attitude. Those who do their own investigation are well rewarded. But don't take my word. Check out Consumer Reports on customer satisfaction.

Bob Wilson

3. tls1

tls1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    YES, I liked my 2007 Prius enough that I bought a Black 2008 Pkg #6 and Chrome wheels and now both my wife and myself have our own Prius's which we both love.

4. aljorma

aljorma New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If your lurcking and trying to determine whether a Prius is right for you. This is the wrong place to get your information. There has been the mention of Consumer Reports. Well, they give the standard Prius a 68 out of 89, the Touring does much better. I personally think you should understand people are surprised to have issues with this car after they've taken ownership. This Forum is for Prius owners. They get information to help better manage the transition into Prius Hybrid ownership.

5. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really like my Prius...

Yes I really like my Prius...

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Martha, welcome. DON'T worry about the car. The Prius has proven to be very reliable and maintenance free. If you want to get the EPA numbers then drive the car like the EPA test. Economy is very dependant on climate, terrain, traffic, and driving style. If I got 50mpg let alone the EPA numbers I would cry. These past few months I'm getting high 50's to low 60's.

Protect the paint with 3M or VentureShield film and just drive the car. It can take some time to unlearn poor driving habits.

If you have to ask for the definition of a troll then you certainly aren't one. Everyone here is generally very helpful but a few of us do get testy from time to time.

To answer your first question, no, I do not like my Prius. I love it. If I lost my 2006 today I'd start shopping for a 2009 tomorrow.

Enjoy.

7. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, I like how most PCers are quite honest about about what they don't like while still loving it. :D

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Martha,

Yes I really like our Prius. I look forward to driving it and that feeling has not dissipated after 9 months and 22K miles. We've had none of the issues you listed. Our average mileage is about 49mpg, 45mpg being our lowest tank and over 62mpg for our best. I believe mileage has much more to do with driving habits and environment than any variation from car to car. The car surprises me because it is smooth riding, quiet, comfortable, spacious, practical (hatch back and folding rear seats), has some luxury features, and the smart key is awesome.

My only gripe is the operation of the cruise control, but that is a standard Toyota design unspecific to the Prius. Honda's (and many other cars) cruise control is smarter. The Toyota cruise forgets the set speed when the car drops below 25mph. I'm now used to the poor position of the cruise control knob under the steering wheel.

My only other issue is I can't tow my jet ski with the Prius but that isn't the purpose of the car is it.

Enjoy your new car. I'm sure you'll fall in love with it.

John

9. MarthaW

MarthaW New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well that's good news since I don't use cruise control much and I don't have a jet ski. From all the reading I've been doing, it sounds like cruise control should have a setting for automatic pulse and glide. Then we would all use it.
    Thanks for the input.
    Martha

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use cruise all the time, it works the best; the computer knows better then my foot.

11. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Martha,
    I am just going to echo most of what has already been posted. We got our 08 at the end of July. My wife was driving a conv. Beetle and I was driving one of those gas-guzzling SUVs. Needless to say when we got the Prius I started driving the Beetle - it's a simple matter of whoever drives the most miles gets the Prius. I do most of the driving on the weekends -- so I get the Prius.

We love the car so much that our plan is to get another in the spring. I can honestly say that I haven't talked to anyone yet that owns a Prius that didn't tell me they love the car. It does have some issues, but don't all cars?

12. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    P&G cruise setting. Great idea! I also want a setting for max mileage that I could use when there are no cars behind me so it could slow on the uphills and speed down the down slopes without me having to be involved. Better yet how about a "Hypermile" button!

Have fun,
    John