1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama Ascend Tire Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jared, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Everyone,

About 2 years ago I bought 4 new Yokohama Ascend tires. Two of them generate an incredible amount of noise - so much that I am going to have to put them on the rear of the car and not rotate. My other Prius (2005) has Cooper tires that are not low rolling resistance but are very quiet. I will be looking for the quietest tires I can find for my car as soon as the Yokohamas wear out. Quietness is much more important than saving a few miles per gallon. Any suggestions as to good quiet tires?

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tires wear very little on the rear. It's almost non existent wear in the back. I agree with you, quietness is more important than fuel economy. Not sure why tires suddenly go loud after a few years. I had a pair of Kuhmos that performed admirably for years and then started to make noise. I left them on the rear but the fronts wore out before them. I placed them back on the front and waited for the blessed day they wear out.

3. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks.

The strange thing is only 2 of the tires make a lot of noise. Maybe from cupping.
    I will put them on the back and get new tires even before I have to.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure I understand your logic of putting them on the back to quiet them. I have Michelin Energy Savers on the car at the moment. I notice if the windows are open, I'll hear the road noise, especially if the road is wet. Ihave my winter wheels set up with Blizzak WS-80s and this will be the first time I've used Blizzaks, so I'll find out how noisy they are in 3 or 4 weeks when they get changed over, but I'm certain they'll be quieter than studs. Back to your problem - is the noise continuous, or a regular "thump, thump, thump!"? (I was thinking belt-failure in the tyre). The two which are noisy, are they on the same axle, or the same side?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a lot more to tire noise than just the tires. Your alignment, suspension, and balance has a lot to do with it. You have to make sure everything is in good order before you blame the tires.

6. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've noticed in the past that the two bad tires are much quieter when on the back.

The noise is a continuous whine at high speed. At about 20mph I do hear a regular vibration, a kind of beat. This is only when these tire are on the front, so it is the tires, not the wheel bearings.

7. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took the car into a tire shop and they had me feel the front right tire. I could feel a flat spot. It was very much out of round. The other tires were pretty worn. I decided to get 4 Michelin Defender tires and new struts and alignment. The car has 142k miles.
    It is now a totally different car. No vibration. Very quiet at highway speeds. I can hear the radio again!. Handling is very sure and the tires are rated for 90k miles. It cost about $1,000 but well worth it.

8. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only problem now is the car burns about 1 quart of oil every 2k miles. I guess I have to live with it.