1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama AVID Ascend Review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Mar 21, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The H would likely offer better handling. I'm not sure about overall traction though.

FWIW I'd look at the Continental PureContact vs. the Ascend. It's a better tire overall.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    At 40k on my 2012, I really have no complaints on the stock Yoko's. I read many reviews on many tires and the common thread is the better LRR the tire is the worse the traction and rain use. Well that's a no brainer. Your not going to get LRR tire and great traction, period. I get 47mpg overall. Should I get 50mpg and have less stability while driving, it isn't worth it. Is it just a contest to see how many more MPG we can get as Prius owners, to prove what? I would be happing to keep my mileage and the tires I have as they really don't affect my driving and road conditions. If you want great traction in snow and rain, it will cost you in MPG, period, that is a law of the road and tires.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not the case with modern materials. Tires like the PureContact, ProContact and Primacy MXM4 offer outstanding wet traction, tire life and good rolling resistance. There are minor trade offs here and there but these new tire designs and materials are bending the magic triangle in ways we never thought possible.

4. Popbot12

Popbot12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guy has PureContact with EcoPlus (T rated), and just plain PureContact. Any know difference? Have you actually tried them on your Prius? Also, you'd say they're better overall, as in what? Slightly better in every/most categories? Or just a little cheaper? I want good MPG and good dry/wet traction, plus 50-60K miles (I drive about 30K miles per year). I'd rather spend 5-10% more for something that's a little better (in terms of MPG and traction).

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PureContact is better in almost every way except maybe a little more of a rough ride. The wet traction is much better! I've had both tires and while I didn't dislike the Ascend I also didn't love it. In a 17" I felt the PureContact rode too rough but it was also an XL tire which should ride rougher than a standard load tire anyway let alone in a 17" size.

The PureContact doesn't come in a T rating in our size I don't think. Could you be looking at the ProContact and PureContact?

Here is a test review for both tires. The PureContact offered better fuel economy too.

Tire Test Results : Testing Grand Touring All-Season Tires

6. Popbot12

Popbot12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm getting my Pure Contacts this Saturday! $472 with tax for installation, balancing, etc. Of course, I'm sure they'll recommend alignment too on top of that. Thanks again for the advice!

7. Popbot12

Popbot12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So after a couple weeks now I have to report..... 3-4 mpg less than with the stock Yokohamas under the same driving conditions. I'm a bit disappointed about this.

8. Popbot12

Popbot12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked my tire pressure and it's about 35 psi. The tire max says 51 psi. I just filled them to 45-46 psi since they are hot.

9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try 46psi front and 44psi rear, 2 pounds less in rear helps the car track better going down the road.

10. mroadster2k

mroadster2k A little bit of awesomeness

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the review. I picked up a set of Yokohama AVID Ascend 17s. Will report on the MPG hit, coming from the original 15s. I'll be running them on a set of OEM 17s from a V.

11. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Glad to see these AVID tires come in the 16" Prius C size. I still have a lot of tread left on the stock tire with 36k so maybe in a year.

12. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been trying to reconcile a lot of conflicting info about the Yokohama Avid Ascends.

Some claim great MPG, i.e. 60 MPG performance; others still say the Michelin Energy Savers are the best.
    Some claim bad stopping distance, wet performance, etc, while other reviews (and Customer Surveys on Tire Rack) say they're above average to excellent.

Pretty much everyone likes the long treadwear properties. I wonder, if these tires give significantly more treadwear than most (all?) other LRR tires, doesn't that save more money, above and beyond what might be a slight 1-2MPG hit as compared with the "best in MPG class" Michelin Energy Savers? (It costs somewhere between $400-$500 to buy and install a new set of tires, no matter what you get).

Can anyone who has owned them for awhile, comment on their experience?

13. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got these tires. Have about 250 miles on them. And I am taking a huge hit on MPGs (> 5). Hopefully it does better after they have been broken in. Tire pressure is at 46ish front and 44ish rear. Will report back after my Vegas trip.

14. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Btw, got these tires for $323 plus a $60 prepaid Visa card via discount tires. Paid Walmart $68 for a complete installation. I thought I got a stellar deal.

15. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Kam. What tires were you using previously, and what MPG numbers were you used to seeing?

I am running Michelin X Radials right now - the previous owner's tires. The tires have around 50k miles and are at the end of their life. I'd say I've averaged around 51-52 MPG overall over the past 15k miles that I've owned the car.

16. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was running Bridgestone Ecopias Ep100, which were a great bargain 2 years ago. I had about 48k on them before I switched them out. I would get about 46-48mpg on them. And these didn't require much to be broken into; I couldn't even tell the difference from my Michelin Hydroedge. The Yokos are getting 42-44mpg right now. They seem quieter, but I have 265k so it's hard to tell because my shocks are probably shot. I guess I'll have to rack up like 1k on the tires before I have better data.

17. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't call the Prius a performance car. Also, like the "wing foot" rep at our Goodyear store used to say "tires are like baseball gloves. You can't really judge them till they are broken in". I'm getting about 52mpg with the OEM Yoko S33 195/15's.

18. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just installed Yokohama avid assends on my 2010.
    Have about two thousand miles.
    They ride great and I still get 50 MPG.
    Purchased from tires direct.com
    Free shipping, $25.00 discount for online purchase and a$ 60.00 card from yokohama.
    Price $ 87.00 per tire.
    Mounting and balance approx. $ 78.00 at price club.

19. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed mine at 35k miles and am under 45k now. MPG is still high, they ride nicely, I think nicer than the s33 that came on the car. For the first week I had them at 50/48...highly recommend against that unless you have smooth roads or want to feel your kidneys dancing. Mpg was low at first, 46-48 at 36/34.

On my morning drive in traffic with a small elevation change and hill to go over at 2500ft I am getting between 55-62 vs. 51 on the s33 but that's at an avg. of 40mph and I have mine set to 38/36psi.

SCH-I545 ?

20. la9ers

la9ers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2012 Prius II has the original Yokohama AVID S33 driven 60,000 miles and I think I can push another 10,000. Would you say these Yokohama AVID Acends would be the direct replacement to the S33? I'm getting ready to buy soon. Also Do I need new TPMS kit?

TIA.