1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama AVID S33D)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by GaryD1, Jun 5, 2012.

1. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got about 47,000 mile on them now, got a price on the Michelin Energy Saver A/S today with the $70 rebate. I'm talking to dealer through email, wanting to make sure they are A/S tires that have the 65K mileage rating instead of theMichelin Energy Saver that only has 50k mileage rating. I didn't know there was two styles until I looked it up. Had my 2011 1 year 4 month now. I could probably get 50K miles out of tires. The gas mileage has increased to 53-54 mpg at pump tank after tank. I guess the 2 or 3 mile increase is due to the wear on the tires?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Energy Saver is the older Summer tire and the Energy Saver A/S is the "newer" all-season tire and is more fuel efficient than the former according to Michelin.

Your increase in fuel efficiency is a mixture of the car being fully broke in, possibly an increase in driving skill and of course the tread wearing down. The majority of the increase in fuel efficiency due to tire wear comes within the first 50% or so of their wear. After that the increase rate slows down. Interestingly, If most of the LRR characteristics of a tire is designed into the tread alone then as that tire wears down it may lose it's LRR advantage vs. a similar non-LRR tire so at 2/32 both tires could exhibit the same rolling resistance. That being said, it seems like most Prius owners observe a mpg increase when replacing old tires with new Energy Saver A/S tires. This could be because the ES A/S is really just that efficient! :)

3. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The newer tire should read on the side of the wall Energy Saver A/S, right? They still sell the older tire you spoke of? I talked again with the tire salesman, he said Michelin only sold one fuel saving tire. He never would say A/S. I'll look at tires before they put them on, will let you know the mpg difference.

4. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One thing I did forgot to mention, at the 40k oil change after free oil change went off, I went with Mobil 0-20 full synthetic, that also is when I noticed a fuel increase.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct that the Energy Saver A/S tire will say A/S on it. It also looks different than the Energy Saver (summer) tire. Your contact at the dealer does not know what he is talking about. I would not purchase the regular Energy Saver. The mpg is slightly worse and the warranty is 15,000 miles lower. If they ordered the wrong one for you then tell them it is their mistake and you want the A/S.

Energy Saver
    Energy Saver | Michelin Tires
    [​IMG]

Energy Saver A/S
    Energy Saver A/S | Michelin Tires
    [​IMG]

6. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I talked with the owner, he said that Michelin has made only one fuel saving tire for the Prius and that is the Energy Saver A/S and that is what I'll be getting. They have been in business 40 years, and have several businesses. I told him I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same tire and we were. I would not have any trouble with this company. They are huge in size. He said the name of the tire was on the side of it.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gary, if you cannot purchase the Energy Saver A/S or chose not to because of replacement concerns in the future then I would looks at the Michelin Defender, Yokohama AVID Ascend (T) or the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. The Bridgestone would likely give better fuel economy but the other tires last 25,000 and 20,000 miles longer respectively assuming their warranties reflect actual tread life.