1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mjones12, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Right rear Yokohama went flat Saturday while driving in town. Calling Toyota Care was useless, as it rang and put us in a seemingly endless queue. Called AAA, and had someone on the scene in 15 minutes to change the tire, which had a long opening in the sidewall, later deemed to be caused by a road hazard, although I don't think we ran over anything. The tire pressure light came on, and within 10 seconds we felt the bumpiness of a completely flat tire.

Our dealership in Winston-Salem, NC, doesn't have a replacement, can't find anyone else in the area with one and can't get one delivered for 3-5 days at a cost of $141, plus $15 installation. A local Yokohama authorized dealer can get one in three days or less at $124 installed and $14 shipping.

I can't believe that not one Yokohama Avid in the Prius size could be found in the Triad area, which is a pretty large metro area (including Greensboro and High Point) by North Carolina standards. Are these tires just not generally kept in stock? You'd think either a Toyota dealership or an authorized Yokohama tire dealer could come up with one in a 1.6 million metro population area.

I'm sure I could research and find the tire for a better price, but I need to get this resolved quickly. The "weenie" spare is limited to 50 mph, so I'm reduced to driving a V-8 Silverado on my 80-mile daily commute. Don't want to do that too many times, and I suspect there's a mileage limit on that weenie, too, but couldn't find it in the manual.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a small nail in my front left, it is a slow leaker and maybe about loses about 10psi over 2000+ miles. I need it plugged for sure.

3. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep. Obviously gets expensive - and time consuming - if you end up having to replace it.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know I have seen the Yokohama Avid's on the tire rack at my dealership in Wilmington. That is surprising that your dealership does not carry them in W-S.

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see it on Tire Rack for $79, much better price than anyone else I'm seeing. Wonder what these tire companies would charge to mount them if I don't buy from them? Anyone have experience with that?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what tire you are looking at but the OE Yokohama AVID S33D 195/65/15 is $108 at TireRack.com

8. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are right. I was looking at the Yokohama Avid 205/70/R15. Our Yokohama dealer said Toyoto puts the cheapest Avid on the Prius, so I figured the $79 one was it. I am, in fact, running the 195/65/15. The dealer said he was only able to locate three of these tires in the entire state of N.C., and I guess he's only able to check his dealer network, but that doesn't seem like a lot.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes. :(

You would think they are more readily available but since they are not a good choice for an aftermarket tire maybe they are considered low volume. I wish you luck!

10. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had the same problem with a Bridgestone EP-20. I had a flat that ruined the tire and after trying every tire store in the town of Oxnard and one Toyota dealer, I happen to spot a 2nd dealer as I was on my way home, went to the parts department and the guy there thought he had 1. After 20 minutes of looking he found it and I bought it and had it installed, it was expensive, but I too am surprised that the dealers don't stock the oe tires for the cars they sell..

11. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most likely because the oem's are one of the worst choices for replacement tires and only people totally ignorant of cars and performance replace their oems with more of the same

subjective likes this.
  12. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It doesn't really make economic sense to me to purchase four new tires because one, with just a few thousand miles on it, blew out. Is that what you'd do? I've had lots of cars that came with high-end Michelins on them. You're saying I should have replaced them with....what?

13. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So you say, "only people totally ignorant of cars and performance replace their oems with more of the same."
    But just a few posts earlier you said, "I had two flats o my oem's in the first 25K. Repaired them and moved on." You really need to get your story straight, Reverend.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/yokohama-problems.113960/#ixzz24JV0gID5

14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was explaining why they are ot readily available.

What does the. Fact that I repaired a flat have to do with anything.

When it came time to replace the oems ... I went with conti procontacts.

What story do I need to get straight?

REV