1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama S.drive 205/55/16 for Touring model

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by liverbomb88, Jun 19, 2009.

1. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to start a thread on Yokohama S.drives.

First off, I do not work for Yokohama -- this review is my own personal opinion. Second, I drive the Prius as I would a normal car, and paid extra for the Touring because I wanted better handling than the standard model. Thus, don't flame me for getting an ultra high performance summer tire that is not a LRR model made of recycled orange peels.:p

The Bridgestone Turanza EL400s were down to 3-4/32, and 2/32 on the lateral grooves after only 25k miles. The car has undergone regular alignment, but still the lateral wear was apparent. I kept them inflated at least at 35/33 as recommended by Toyota. For a few months, I kept them at 42/40 but then noted excessive center tire wear, so I dropped them back to recommended pressures.

Here is the summary graph of mpg and total fuel consumed while running on the Turanzas based on a log I updated at each fill-up. The blue dots are mpg, the black line is the moving average, and the red dots are gallons fueled. The average was 39.5 mpg (Prius computer lists 40.4 mpg). The reason my average is lower than what others report is due to 1) my driving style (I drive it like a regular car), 2) it's darned hilly where I live and work, and 3) my work is very close, so the engine never gets a chance to warm up and become efficient.

[​IMG]

Since I live in an area with no snow and only occasional rain, I decided to get some Ultra High Performance summer tires. The S.drives from Yokohama seemed rather inexpensive and the tread pattern looked cool, so I went with it. I got the upsized tires, 205/55/16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Impressions:
    The ride is cushy like the Turanzas, but everything feels much more controlled. Turn-ins are accurate, and grip is much improved. The Mira Mesa onramp to I805S is a big oval. With the Turanzas, I would be limited to ~25-30mph, but with these new tires, I got up to 45mph today, no squeals. I always thought braking sucked because of the rear drum brakes. To my surprise, these new tires gave my brakes a whole new feel...I actually feel confident braking now, something that I don't think I ever felt with the Turanzas. The only downside that I've noticed so far is that these tires seem louder than the Turanzas, especially on grooved concrete. There's no noticeable tramlining, but the road noise is definitely intrusive. I plan on keeping the tire pressures at Toyota's recommended levels. I know I'm going to take a mpg hit, but I'm willing to live with it.

I'll post interim and summary updates with mpg. But so far, I'm quite happy with the S.drives.

1 person likes this.
  2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey how heavy are these? I'm trying to decide what to put on my eco drives but I don't want to lose the weight advantage I gain.

3. liverbomb88

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the stock turanzas are 19 lbs and the s.drives are 23 lbs, significantly heavier.

1 person likes this.
  4. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :pout: I really want some high performance sumemr rubber on the rims but can't seem to find anything lighter than 22-24lbs. So far, it's looking like I'm goign to use Dunlop Direzza Star Specs (205/50/16) at 22lbs

5. FuelSpender

FuelSpender New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Direzza Star Specs are great tires for the money. I am eager to see someone try out a set of the new Yokohama Advan AD08 street tires on this car. The S-Drives' tread pattern looks somewhat similar to the old ADVAN AD07 street summer tire.

6. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are they lighter than 22lbs? I'd be willing to try (actually, I'd like to drop on the Advan A046s that you find on Evos).

7. FuelSpender

FuelSpender New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yokohama Tire

They seem to be a hair under at 21 lbs with a larger 55 profile. The 225/50/16 is a wee bit over 22. Not a bad weight for what i hear is a phenominal tire.

The AD07 was the same tire that the Lotus Elise came with stock, and i hear the AD08 is supposed to be even grippier.

The A046 is an OEM only tire, i don't believe Yokohama sells it directly to the public. However, it's bigger brother: the D.O.T Race compound A048 IS available ;)

8. liverbomb88

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's been about 10 fill-ups since switching tires -- time for an interim update.

The tires have transformed the driving experience of the Prius. Taking curves and corners are enjoyable nowadays, especially zipping past "performance luxury" cars on the 360-degree freeway onramp. Unexpectedly, braking confidence has also increased, which now makes perfect sense. We took the Prius to Yosemite NP, and it was so much fun driving the curvy roads at the speed limit and also knowing we weren't smogging up the valley.

What I did was to take the 10 fill-ups after switching to the S.drives and compare it to the 10 fill-ups immediately prior. This is not exactly scientific, since the pre-Sdrive data was basically all San Diego mesa driving, while the post-data has significant highway and altitude changes weighing the results. Again, I'm keeping the S.drives at the recommended tire pressures. I feel like there's a 2-3 mpg hit, but the paired t-test does not demonstrate significance:

[​IMG]

P value and statistical significance:

The two-tailed P value equals 0.4452
    By conventional criteria, this difference is considered to be not statistically significant.
    Confidence interval:

The mean of Turanza minus S.Drive equals 1.1660
    95% confidence interval of this difference: From -2.1377 to 4.4697
    Intermediate values used in calculations:
    t = 0.7984
    df = 9
    standard error of difference = 1.460

I'll post more data in a few months. So far, I remain thrilled with my decision to go with the wider and stickier S.drives.

1 person likes this.
  9. fingas

fingas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback, I believe I'll also go with these Yokohama S.Drives compared to the others I was contemplating. UTQG rating is 300 AA,A for these tires. I'll be going 205/45R17 for my new wheels.