1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama tires getting noisy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by paprius4030, Oct 27, 2010.

1. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2010 Prius came with Yokohama tires. Although the car still rides smooth and like new the tires seem to be getting noiser and noiser. The car now has 25k on it and the last 2 or 3k mi. the tires seem to be getting really noisy and making a drumming sound. Makes me think maybe a belt is coming loose although all the tires look fine. Is anybody else noticing their tires making more noise as they approach 25k mi.?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Many tires get noisier as they wear past 50% of tread thickness. My Nokian WRg2s started out very quiet but at 35k miles they began to show an increase in road noise. This has been reported for other tire brands/models as well.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a word for it - not sure what it is - but if you do not rotate tires, on a smaller car especially (never seen it on a SUV etc - but on my small cars yes) - you will get a weird 'edging' kind of 'sawtooth' pattern on the tires.

If you have this, please throw a post to the other thread on tire rotation.

I got this bad on an earlier car - never rotated, but at around 20K, if you look at the tire edges (tread), you see a kind of saw-tooth on the actual tread.

When I swapped the tired, they explained it.

Please post a nice pic of your tire's tread. From the side, you should have a jagged edge.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tires are evenly worn. They've been rotated twice. Look real good just about 1/2 worn out. There's been alot of repaving on I-80 around here and that's when they are really loud, on the new pavement. I wouldn't normally worry about it except for the drumming rythem they make.