1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama Tyres for Prius 2023 - EU labels

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Maxwell61, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yokohama supply the OEM tyres for Prius 2023.
    That should be valid for most markets, summer tyres, but i know that US is sometimes supplied with 4 seasons.

Yokohama BluEarth in OE sulle nuove Prius e Prius PHEV di Toyota - Pneusnews.it

The large difference in consumption (some 15%) and EV range (some 17% confirmed by Japan and Canadian data) in the Prime does appear also connected to the large difference in rolling resistance between the 17" and 19".

The 17" is best in class "A" EU RR label and is also quite silent at 67 db (A class).
    The 19" is really shitty in "C" class EU RR label and noisy at 71 db (B class).

Attached Files:

Gokhan and JoeBlack like this.
  2. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad those tires are such an unusual type, otherwise I would swap them for Continental EcoContact 6 and be done with it.
    Really good tires.

3. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually in EU there's some few good alternatives to the 17", like the Michelin Primacy 4, Class A for RR, B for wet, 69 db, good price, better than the OEM Yokohama then.
    But nothing yet for the 19" outside Yokohama that will have easy life to impose high prices.
    Another reason to avoid those 19", but i'm afraid not all markets will have the chance of getting a PHEV trim with the 17".
    For this, and the lack of the 7 kW OBD charger as the EU competiros, i'm putting in doubt my purchase.

4. Kalianyia

Kalianyia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you getting these specs / ratings? Is there a good site that has these details that is easy to search / filter?

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It's not great, but the official EU site is navigable: EPREL Public website
    Expand the advanced section option and then switch to structured in the tyre size designation sub-panel.

Just understand that these ratings are for the EU versions of the tires; the NA versions may or may not be the same.

The EU rates in three categories: fuel efficiency, wet grip, and noise. Each category is rated from A(best) to G(worst).

Personally, I prefer tyrereviews.com. Not only do they review many more factors than just the three that the EU does, they also allow you to change the weighting per category to suit your conditions. For example, someone who lives in Seattle would weight wet braking more important than someone living in Phoenix and vice versa for dry braking. The problem with tyrereviews.com is the same as the EU site: they also only review the EU versions of these tires. It's not perfect for a NA buyer, but at least it's thorough and it's something.

#5 Hammersmith, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Kalianyia likes this.
  6. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In this case, there's a link directly from
    https://www.yokohama.eu/en/

Normally, the label must be shown when you search for a tyre on any EU tyre sales website.
    It must exists a repository for the EU labels.

7. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hardly think will be any difference, but you never know.

I do use tyrereviews also, but this has nothing to do with the EU labels.
    The labels allow very easily for the consumer, using simple parameters, to compare tyres, and are institutionally certified.

In US that simple possibility is not given. Particularly to judge "Low rolling resistance" tyre labels, way to generic definition.
    Tyrereviews is an independent tester.

8. reallyreal

reallyreal Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also this 19" from Yokohama, same fuel consumption (C), wet grip (A), but lower noise (A):
    - https://www.yokohama.eu/en/V552/?tx_tyre_pi1%5Bdiameter%5D=19&tx_tyre_pi1%5Bindex%5D=&tx_tyre_pi1%5Bratio%5D=50&tx_tyre_pi1%5Bspeed%5D=&tx_tyre_pi1%5Bwidth%5D=195&cHash=49a4b058cd1bb81e6d5e65ad87ca18a4
    - EnergyLabels_Tyres_SVG

I would guess the reason for the middle rating on fuel efficiency of the 19" tires is their (purported) excellent wet grip performance. It's the other way around with the 17".
    From their name, I also think the tyres are designed for different priorities or market segments. The article posted by the OP cites the 19" to be called BluEarth-GT AE51 and the 17" BluEarth-FE AE30 (can't find them on the Yokohama EU website yet), so probably GT on the 19" stands for Grand Touring while FE on the 17" for Fuel Efficiency.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. TE37SL

TE37SL New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Any idea if 7.5" wheel too wide for 195/60/17? This size is just too new I can't seem to find the acceptable rim width.

I'm definitely going to downsize the wheels from 19" to 17" it's just the wheels I have are 17x7.5, might be a bit too wide for 195 tires and I hate to have to go 215 tires and lose mpg

10. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EU WLTP values for the Prius PHEV (Prime), just appeared on the Germany website.

Energy consumption Prius plug-in hybrid: 2.0 l VVT-i,
    petrol engine 112kW (152hp), and electric motor, 120kW (163hp), system output 164kW (223hp)

The two values are of course for the 17" and 19".

Weighted combined Fuel Economy: 0.7-0.5l/100 km
    12.6 - 11.4 kWh electricity/100 km
    CO₂ emissions weighted combined 16-11 g/km
    Electric range (EAER): 86-72 km
    Electric range (EAER City): 111-98 km.

Values according to WLTP test procedure.*
    https://www.toyota.de/neuwagen/prius-plugin

reallyreal and JoeBlack like this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have never seen Yokohama tires on Prius, including Gen 5. They are typically Toyo, Bridgestone, or Dunlop, but there should be others. So, this is a new thing. I had best performance with Dunlop. So far, we have seen Toyo and Bridgestone on Gen 5.

17" tires are touted to have much better fuel economy and much less noise.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not having a wide variety of choices is a bummer. hopefully by the time one needs new tires, more models will be available.
    otoh, the factory tires on my 3 prius were awful, and i should have replaced them immediately

13. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Can you specify the figures and maker of the 19" and 17" you saw on the Gen5 in US?
    I can't find any maker that sells the 195/50 R17 other than Yokohama, so, what you're getting in US on the 19" size?

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For those unfamiliar with EU PHEV ratings, the weighted fuel economy figure is a mix of gas and grid electricity. Or Toyota is really underselling the hybrid fuel efficiency there.

Looks like an EPA EV range of 39 to 47 miles will be likely.
    The cars at press events had Toyo Extensa A/S II on the 19in rims. The 17in appear to be some type of Ecopia from Bridgestone; pictures were less clear.

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    We have seen many pics of Toyo and Bridgestone tires on Gen 5 Priuses.

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    BEV range probably 44 miles with 17" tires and 36 miles with 19" tires.

Canada specs were 40 mi/33 mi for 17"/19" tires, but I think we will see 44 mi/36 mi for 17"/19" tires from what I gather from the Japan specs. In any case, the 17" tires have a 22% longer BEV range than the 19" tires.

Canada Prius Prime trim-level details | PriusChat

#16 Gokhan, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  17. reallyreal

reallyreal Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Likely the EAER (Equivalent All Electric Range) does not reflect EV-only range but it’s similar to EV auto where the ICE does some work too. EV-only range would be AER (All Electric Range) which is not advertised. Usable battery should be around 10 kWh vs 6.6 kWh of 4th gen, more or less a 50% increase. If the 4th gen does around 45 km AER with 15” wheels though I would expect a less than 50% improvement with 17” and even less with 19” wheels.

There is some info in sections 3.1.1 and 6.4.2 here: https://www.transportenvironment.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2020_11_Plug-in_hybrids_report_final.pdf

An extract:
    “the WLTP method is based on how far the car can drive in a charge depleting mode - i.e. as long as the battery/electric motor is used - before the battery is fully depleted, even if the ICE kicks in and the vehicle drives in hybrid mode during this time. The share of that total distance attributed to electric energy, prior to the depletion of the battery is then calculated and known as the Equivalent All Electric Range (EAER)”

Extrapolating from the figures in the pdf above I would expect an AER City similar or slightly higher than the advertised EAER of 86-72 km (~53-45 miles), and general AER values like those that Gokhan wrote. Worst case should be a ~30% improvement in range with the 19” wrt the 4th gen.

But hey, 200 hp, big wheels, and yellow :coffee:

#17 reallyreal, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Maxwell61 and Trollbait like this.
  18. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think Yokohama's came on Gen3's

Gokhan likes this.
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Possible—I haven't seen them on Gen 4 and Gen 5 (not yet on the latter).

20. Vneck

Vneck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    MY RAV4 HYBRID comes with Yokohama. Better traction and fuel eco. and quiter compares to Bridgestone. Anyway, u don't get the car yet, why worry about the tires that's tire companies business.