1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yorkshire Folk are Happiest in Britain

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Sep 11, 2011.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Must be the pudding... :p

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love Phil on Time Team (English, the real one)

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ha ha ha. Except he's from the West Country not Yorkshire. Still a good bloke though. Our American friends don't get Time Team though and I doubt they'd understand Phil if they did! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Harding_(archaeologist)
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Team[/ame]

5. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like James Herriot on the subject of Richmond (which I visited years ago looking for signs of its Heavenly origin). I didn't see any, but still a very nice town......

And then again, there's the "4 Yorkshiremen" skit of Monty Python fame:

"You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.......We had it TOUUUGH etc"

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you."

Monty Python's Flying Circus - "Four Yorkshiremen"

Aye, THEY were happy

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's because Michael Palin from Monty Python is a Yorkshire man. He's always happy and smiling :)

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Palin]Michael Palin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

7. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see smiling if you live in lower Wensleydale, Swaledale and the environs of Richmond - or near places like Scarborough (to name a few places I saw). York and Harrogate looked pretty nice to me too when I visited back in 1988 (I was busily exposing myself to vCJD in the local pubs for 3-4 days). I didn't see that much, of course, with such a short visit.

But is Humberside considered part of Yorkshire? There were places there that looked dismal enough for broken bottle serenades..........

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i liked little whinging and great hangleton. i can't believe they weren't nominated! have you been to surrey? i mean, c'mon.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly. Although it's a much smaller area, saying "Yorkshire folk" is like saying "New Englanders". Try telling Mainers they're the same as people from Mass.
    There is a "Yorkshire" identity but it doesn't mean they're the same.

Similarly the West and South has larger cities that aren't so picturesque. (I lived near Doncaster for several years. It's just a town. My wife thinks it's funny that a place could have 70,000 people in the center and a total of 290,000 in the center and surrounding suburbs and not be a city).

What was the unpopular* county of Humberside is no more. It's now four unitary authorities. Basically, north of the river Humber is "East Yorkshire" and south of the Humber is "North Lincolnshire".

* Never popular. Hey, let's rearrange things and create a county divided across a river that's a mile wide at the estuary. The people will love that.

1 person likes this.
  10. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Calling Grimsby part of "North Lincolnshire" might be a bit like calling Lawrence, MA "Northeast Andover".

11. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but a country that sports places called "Kissimee" and "Homosassa"
    has nothing whatever to say to Britain about inelegant place names.

Now if you go to New South Wales, Australia, then you're talking (Buladelah, Murwillumbah, Goondiwindi, etc. I particularly like "Yass")

12. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I might get lynched here but Sheffeild where Michael Palin from and the city of Hull are both ex industrial, rather run down cities but (and this is the point of the article) the area around them both is stunning. Perhaps the article might be hard for non UK residents to grasp, esp if they're used to open spaces, but the UK is quite a cramped and congested Country. The South East and London has nice areas but they're so close together and congested, whereas Yorkshire is more open.

Perhaps open space equals happiness and I guess our Canadian and/or Aussie friends would agree?

p.s. Humberside was an artificial County created out of East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire. It was never popular and was disbanded after about 20 years though there are still the odd remnant remaining such as Humberside Police area etc.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberside]Humberside - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield]Sheffield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_upon_Hull]Kingston upon Hull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you don't think little whinging sounds elegant? the way they say it with the soft g is charming!

14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    are they hobbits?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: