1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You c guys need to step up your mpg game. ;)

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jul 25, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A number of GenII and GenIII owners are posting big mpg numbers in the other fuel economy forums. All I see from the c folks are short trip numbers which don't account for much. *hmmph*

If you think you got game then come find us in the GenIII Fuel Economy forum and post your full tank (500+) numbers!

Top 20 MPG Record Holders | PriusChat

Consider the gauntlet thrown
    [​IMG]

2. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Keep in mind a few things:

*The c's fuel tank is only 9.5 gallons, and anyone with a couple brain cells isn't testing the scavenging ability of the lift pump past 9 gallons used unless they're carrying an extra gallon in the trunk. As such, you'd have to average over 55 mpg to get a rational 9 gallon tank.

*Not everyone is interested in blocking half the worlds traffic by driving under the posted speed minimum. I understand the "game" aspect of getting good FE numbers, but risking getting an impeding traffic citation isn't personally on my agenda.

*The lift back Prius has better aero, so right there the c is at a disadvantage on extra-urban and highway journeys. Add in the smaller battery and less powerful motor and the c needs its ICE much more than the lift back.

Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet. It'll be amusing to watch the Fuelly's in the next few years. It seems the high water mark for cars that honestly use their ICE is still the 1st gen Insight.

dellrio likes this.
  3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is why I created the Top 20 MPG. It eliminates the tank size issues. Urban vs. highway is irrelevant as well. It's all in good fun and no one should be blocking traffic or driving in such a way so as to be a danger to others. Then again, for every 1 Prius driver doing the speed limit there are thousands of other drivers doing 15mph+ over the speed limit and weaving through traffic. Just saying. :)

WHCSC likes this.
  4. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Cool, gotcha. It's all about fun. I keep it fun by not slowing down much for the corners! :D

ystasino, onlineid615 and dellrio like this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *thumbs up* :)

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a strawman. No one ever suggested it.

On the other hand, the C has lower weight, and smaller engine, so it should get better mileage in some situations. Witness the fact that the EPA ratings combined is the same, and that the City MPG is higher in the C than either is in the liftback. This means that the C ought to beat the liftback in their most favorable scenario.

I have personally not seen a lot of really high Insight numbers (though average numbers certainly are higher). Do you have any cites?[/quote][/quote]

7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Main thing is fact that Prius C is rated almost identical mpg as regular Prius and has a smaller fuel tank so expecting much different mpg numbers from a Prius C doesn't seem realistic and per tank, the Prius C is at definite disadvantage.

8. Nic Lechner

Nic Lechner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Posted speed minimum? Are you referring to the speed LIMIT?

Dylan Murphy and Surrylic like this.
  9. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

With a 9.5 tank (8.5 gallon fillup), a Prius c needs to get about +58 mpg calculated to get +500 mile per tank - this means the on board computer needs to display about +60 mpg for the entire tank. :cautious: Most Prius c owners are just enjoying the Prius c's really good fuel efficiency because its summer time :cool: - but when the winter time comes and the MPGs drop o_O -I think you'll see a renewed interest in getting the Prius c to perform optimally -- especially if for some reason gas prices start to shoot up. :rolleyes: All you need to do is be patient ... :whistle:

10. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You mean besides all of the Insights on Fuelly?

Some states have a minimum speed posted on Interstates and freeways. For example. here in MI most Interstate speed minimums are 45 mph when the speed limit is 70 mph.

RocMills likes this.
  11. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm old and have a bad memory, but I seem to recall the 'c' stands for City..?.
    The city MPGs is one of the main reasons we wanted the 'c', over the Kia Rio.

So, if I wanted to compete in highway MPG sports, I would have to buy more gas!
    And going to the gas station more than once a month, isn't on my agenda.. :)

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I said short trips. Eventually even a c owner will finish off a tank regardless if they ever drive on the freeway or not. Thus the competition is still valid. :) why people are getting hung up on the gas tank I don't know. To be in the Top 20 for any length of time will require a 60+mpg tank which would easily get a c to the 500 mile minimum.

13. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. I checked Fuelly, and the highest 2006 Insight (of 5) was 73.2 MPG. The highest 2012 Prius I found was 74.7 MPG.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For average mpg the Insight (manual) is pretty much tops and in competitions it always wins for stock vehicles with regular 150mpg entries. Here is an older competition as an example. :) CleanMPG World Fuel Economy Championships - Records smashed! - CleanMPG Forums

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I've gone to Fuelly, I've noted that the Prius Liftback has a distribution curve that suggests the majority of recorders get between 43 and 51 mpg (curve max at 47 mpg).

Toyota Prius MPG Reports | Fuelly

The 2012's are showing a distribution 47 - 53 (curve max at 49 mpg). Average is 49.3 mpg. Higher MPG's due to not having a big cold weather component.

The 2012 Prius C is showing a distribution of 47 - 56 mpg (curve max 51 to 52). Average is 51.9 mpg. (14 people showing 60 mpg or better)

This suggests that the average C owner is getting superior MPG's compared to the average Liftback owner.

F8L's top 20 mpg should have some Prius C representitives in it, because it looks like, in general, the C gets better MPG's.

16. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Responded to wrong person. Nevermind.

17. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow wounder if a Prius C can do better? One thing is certain the Prius seemed to be bulletproof and the Hondas have expensive issues with them.

18. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For the competition referenced above, the 1st gen Honda Insights with Manual (5spd) were running on a mainly flat dry smooth asphalt road surface between 30 mph to 20 mph in a low traffic suburbanite neighborhood. The tires were over inflated way pass the tire's maximum sidewall pressure. Other major fuel efficiency tricks in the above competition: all the engines were prewarmed up(so there was no cold start fuel efficiency penalty) and all the battery packs were precharged up before the calibrating their fuel efficiency/usage . One of the major hypermiling trick used was to get the Insight up to speed on a slight downhill grade and then the transmission was shifted into Neutral to remove the internal engine's resistance from the transmission (this is often referred to as NICE in hypermiling circles) - reportedly this trick doesn't work so well with 1st gen Honda Insights when they are equipped with CVT(automatic) transmissions - so 1st gen Honda Insights with auto(cvt) transmissions are normally absent from these Hypermiling marathlons. NICE is illegal in many jurisdiction, e.g. MD, VA. The competition vehicles were also fitted with ScangaugeII devices, too.

F8L likes this.
  19. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I just can't break the 60 mpg barrier. The computer says I have but Fuelly.com says "No!".

It has been very hot here lately and I am afraid my comfort has taken precedence!

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuelly is fickle! lol

Seriously, your numbers are great. Getting 60+mpg calculate either requires a great commute or a lot of work.