1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You c guys need to step up your mpg game. ;)

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jul 25, 2012.

1. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Sorry, but 86 mpg at 27 mph is positively worthless. At that time consumption nothing is accomplished. Driving slow, 27 mph, would get you run over here. 27 mph average is a 'moving traffic pylon' and you're likely to be bunted like one. the prius C is designed to be a very economical vehicle in both city and highway driving as Toyota engineers will tell you. And they have suceeded very well.
    Oh, one more: I just got 99.9 mpg at an average speed of 50.6 mph from Hendersonville to Bat Cave, NC. Let's see that's a score of 5054.94. Wasn't hard at all. I wish I had been able to measure the gas used as I believe that 99.9 mpg was way less than actual mpg. Display stayed pegged there the whole way.
    How's that for raising my mpg game?

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My average tank speed is 40. If I left 1/2 hour earlier for work it would be less than 30, but then my mpgs would be better. Some people don't have a choice. But getting MPGs of 86 is never... I REPEAT... NEVER... worthless.

3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you're driving on a flat straight road a steady foot is correct but what happens when you throw a few curves of varying radii and elevation. think a steady foot will suffice?
    and yeah, at 27 mph the loss in getting something done always makes getting 86 mpg worthless. The penalty for non-accomplishment defeats any value of 86 mpg.

4. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hypermiling is used extensively by the Insight troops to get certified 125 mpg in contests but unfortunately they too employ speeds far too low to be accomodated by normal traffic. I had an Insight that routinely got as much as 60 mpg driving to Raleigh in shift traffic at interstate limits. The only thing I didn't like about hypermiling was drafting big trucks. even with Hawk brake pads I was never sure I could stop quicker than that 18 wheeler and some probably objected to my being tucked in there out of their sight. They sometimes appeared to stop fast without reason. Ah, but hypermiling a CRX with manual got ridicuous mpg numbers. You'd be surprized at how quickly you can accelerate to 75 mph and how long it took to coast down to 60 and repeating.
    The motorcycle guys seemed to get the most out of hypermiling even though coasting wasn't as good as with slick cars.

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Some Goldx Wingers claimed 50 mpg and one with a 750 claimed 100 mph on an interstate highway trip to Asheville.

6. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at roughly 400 miles on Trip A, half a tank of fuel, MPG at 67.4. Will get pic off cell phone.

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    When you do, let us know what your car says the mileage remaining is as well.

8. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Uh, er, um... that would be under "drive information", yes? I very rarely look at that screen, but can undoubtedly find it easily enough.

Also, I thought that mileage remaining figure was determined to be either meaningless or totally unreliable...

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah... sorry, so used to just pressing car on the C3/4 screen... forgot it wasn't that easy for the 1/2...:(

10. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not a bother or anything to apologize for. Probably just a push or two, I don't know the answer instantly simply because I don't refer to that particular screen unless I'm checking temp.

11. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Me and my dyslexia. It's only 330 miles at 67.4 MPG. I will shoot Trip A before I put in more fuel this weekend, and will also shoot drive information screen. Fuelly account will reflect the current MPG as well after I update.

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You know you can check the temp just be tapping (not fully pressing) the recirculate button?

[​IMG]
    At least you can in the 3/4... maybe not available in the 1/2 because they don't have touch trace...

13. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Think I've tried that and it didn't work for the 2 ... we don't have a display screen such as the higher trim models.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All this talk but you're still not on the list....... :)

Matt H likes this.
  15. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    First photo is one of my earliest high MPG moments, on my drive home from work. Second photo several months later, on a Saturday running errands trip. Last photo, most recent, with total ODO reading at just over 8,000 miles (sorry, forgot to check drive information). My daily commute is 9.7 miles. At last tank calcs, would have gotten 645 for the tank.

9.7at82.5.jpg 10.1at86.5.jpg 355at67.9.jpg

minkus likes this.
  16. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's one for speed demon mahout, it might explain why I don't care one bit about high MPH MPG numbers.

[​IMG]

That's over 3500 miles with an average speed of only 19 mph. Trip B goes all the way back to when I purchased the vehicle, so it has those first few tanks that didn't do nearly as well as what I'm getting now on it...still not a bad total for that distance, better MPG than the EPA estimates from day 1.

minkus likes this.
  17. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm loving the 46% EV miles. :D Mine sits at 20%

18. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Both low speed limit driving and gliding in Stealth mode help increase that number. Anyone who does lots of driving with higher speed limits or on the freeway, even if it's just half of your daily commute to work, is going to have naturally lower EV usage.

ztanos likes this.
  19. hcpc

hcpc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Folks,

I've been lurking these forums for a while. I started visiting about a month before purchasing my Prius C researching real-world opinions on the vehicle.
    I have tracked my fuel consumption since day one and have steadily improved my MPG. My latest tank is 65.3 mpg displayed and 62.6 mpg calculated. My car is a little under 2.8 K miles on the odometer so I'm hoping to gain better FE after the 5 K mark. I am constantly amazed at these high mpg numbers I'm getting - it is a far cry from my 22 mpg Acura.

Photo05252328.jpg Photo05252329.jpg

Optical Illusions likes this.
  20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah... I bought my car in January and will be hitting 10k miles this weekend... guess that tells you where I drive the most...