1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You Make the Call!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Betelgeuse, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After a thoroughly satisfying maintenance experience at Toyota of Wallingford (CT) for the last couple years, we finally moved at the beginning of the month. A couple of days ago, it was time for an oil change in our new local. I went in and the experience went smoothly and the price was at least halfway reasonable. However, when I got home, I checked the oil and noticed it was overfilled. I'm the first to admit it wasn't horribly overfilled; it was only about 1-2cm above the top line on the dip stick, but it was clearly above the dot. I knew this was overfilled, but I decided just to double check in my handy dandy Prius manual. Sure enough, it says that any amount above this line is overfilled.

So, I'm a little annoyed; such problems are precisely why I take our car into the dealer instead of one of the less expensive options. I turn around and drive right back to the dealer (thankfully <5 minutes away) and explain the problem. The service writer gets the mechanic to check it out and the mechanic agrees that it's overfilled, although he clearly thinks that I'm being totally ridiculous. So, instead of sucking out the extra oil (the reasonable thing, I think), he goes through a whole production of completely draining all of the oil and replacing the oil filter, making a big deal the whole time about how much effort he's going to (and stating that this has never happened to him in 5 years; my first thought was, "Well, how many people actually check their oil levels between changes?").

This is actually where it gets interesting. The mechanic makes a big point of showing me that he's filling the car with 3.9 liters of oil, which is certainly the right numbers "by the book," but as I know from reading Priuschat is actually too much. I tried to suggest that he might want to put less oil in the car, but I honestly wasn't feeling a lot of sympathy for the mechanic at this point, so I just let him do what he wanted, figuring that it would be his problem if he had to drain out the oil again. When he filled it up, it was actually a hair below the "Max" line. So, I decided I could live with that.

I'm conflicted about what to do in this situation. The dealership did "make it right" in the end and it was reasonably priced and pretty quick, but the mechanic doing in the work was pretty obnoxious (in the guise of being overly nice; I'm sure you all know what I mean). The dealership is incredibly close to our house, which makes it even more appealing, but if someone else has a dealership recommendation in the western MA area, I'd love to hear it. Of course, maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the equipment I need to do the oil change myself; actually it's the tire rotation that I fear more.

2. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    don't sweat the small stuff.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Aug 29 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]503862[/snapback]</div>
    So. One vote for "overly anal," then. :D

Honestly, it's not really the slight overfill that bothers me that much, but rather the mechanic's rather obnoxious and condescending attitude.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 29 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]503868[/snapback]</div>
    That alone would move me to look elsewhere. If they make it right with a genuinely contrite attitude, they gain some measure of my loyalty. If my holding their feet to the fire on a small job provokes this kind of response, I don't want them handling the big ones.

Of course, as you've likely seen in other threads, an oil change is an easy DIY job.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 29 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]503860[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, you mean "mm" not "cm".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 29 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]503860[/snapback]</div>
    Anything beyond the "full" mark is a waste. Isn't using less be something both dealer & consumer would be happy to encourage?

As for the complete redo rather than just draining the excess, he was obviously letting his emotions influence the outcome rather than trying to please the customer.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil changes can be done anywhere and if you felt they were being jerks to you then you should not feel compelled to give them your business.

That said, you have a couple other choices....
    1) They may remember you in the future and may take extra care with your car knowing your analness.
    2)Bring your own oil...either 3 or 3.5 quarts...I use Mobil 1 synthetic which is not carried at the dealer's shop. That way they'll also take special notice, it'll be cheaper, and you know it can't be overfilled.
    3)Send a letter to the dealership to complain and that you'll be taking your business elsewhere...then do it.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was absolutely no need to completely drain the crankcase of
    NEW oil and even less reason to touch the filter. I can't imagine
    why they took it upon themselves, especially a FLAT-RATER guy, to
    make a big pain-in-the-nice person show out of it like that. I would go up
    the management chain with the story and ask why that was done.
    To see it from their perspective, of course, you're one of many
    customers they're trying to crank through their shop as fast as
    possible, and mechanics know that a little overfill doesn't
    necessarily *hurt* an engine and the last thing they're concerned
    about is your MPG and the state of your PCV or throttle body as
    long as they've completed what it says on the paperwork.
    So to answer the question, we've got both. However, they being in
    a customer-service environment went over the line, and you should
    call BS on it because they need to learn that they don't muck with
    what a tight-knit owner community knows is essentially a common-
    pattern failure on the HUMAN side. It's one thing to be able to
    diagnose and service a car, but it goes hand in hand with keeping
    the people who buy them confident.
    Nonetheless, here's one vote of encouragement for doing your own oil
    changes. The equipment needed is minimal, there are several public
    documents that lay out the whole process, and you can happily pour
    in your 3.5 quarts. Tire rotations should be easy too -- use the
    spare as a "buffer" while moving the real wheels around, and then
    you're also confident that a> the spare has proper air in it, and
    b> your lugnuts are properly torqued.
    _H*

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I prefer the 'Skinner' approach:

Write a nice note thanking everyone for being so gracious when they corrected your overfilled, Prius oil pan. The extra effort shows their respect for your wishes to keep the car at peak efficiency. So please enjoy these fresh, Krispy Kreme donuts as my thanks for a job well done.

The note is something management will appreciate and the mechanics will enjoy the donuts. The 'positive re-enforcement' will also get the message throughout the whole organization and lead to more attention to your wishes in the future.

Now if it happens again, there is the stick but let's not go there right now.

Bob Wilson

ps. If you are not in a Krispy Kreme area, Dunkin Donuts is an acceptable substitute.

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why didn't you just loosen the drain plug at home and let a little drip into a rag, rather than waste time and gas driving back there for what you knew would probably be less than a cordial discussion?

Your OP question is not an either/or. He was obnoxious and you were a little anal.

10. fred s

fred s New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 29 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]503901[/snapback]</div>
    WOW That's a stretch! =)

11. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Aug 29 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]503916[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about the OP , but If it were me and I paid $$$ for a job it better be done right anal or not
    I was an owner of an appliance repair company in Phx. AZ. and the Satisfied Customer is what makes your bread and butter.
    Plus it is not brain surgery either, the techs and lube boys should know about their product that is sold there.
    another point is I am disabled and do not crawl under cars anymore, so there is no need to if the job was done right the first time.

Just maybe we / us as americans just do not do a good job anymore???, but we sure like our big bucks. Now don't read anything else into this but maybe that is why the big 3 are not selling QUALITY CARS ANYMORE.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here is a scenario which may explain what happened to Betelgeuse, me, and undoubtedly thousands of other highly protective Prius owners:

1) Betelgeuse drove his car to the dealer for an oil change.
    2) The service department drained the hot oil and replaced it with room temperature oil . . . and, giving the employee the benefit of the doubt, he checked the level, being at or below the line, he released the car.
    3) Betelgeuse drove the car home, thereby heating up the oil. Then, upon checking, finds the dip stick reporting an overfill condition.
    4) Betelgeuse drives back to the dealer, dealer checks the oil, and yes, the dip stick is reporting an overfill.
    5) The dealer drains the hot oil and replaces it with more room temperature oil, and it registers correctly.

My questions:
    How much is motor oil affected by thermal expansion?
    Did Betelgeuse check his oil level again when he got home? :huh:
    Is the space for motor oil in the Prii designed in such a way, either on purpose or by accident, that its dip stick readings are highly sensitive to overfills - to where normal thermal expansion could explain the rash of dealers "overfilling" the oil?

13. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 29 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]503860[/snapback]</div>
    I vote that if you are paying them to do the service, and they do it wrong, then they should make it right without complaint. They should not be condescending or argumentative. But that's just my opinion.

Don't fear the tire rotation; it is not difficult or dangerous if you have a good level surface and good quality jack stands to support the car.

14. mgipe

mgipe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 29 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]503964[/snapback]</div>
    1. Almost zilch.
    2. Don't know.
    3. No.

15. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 29 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]503860[/snapback]</div>
    I think everyone overreacted.

I wonder if they would completely deflate the tire if the psi were too high.

16. nitschke65

nitschke65 Not entirely normal

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I demand that my waitresses, waiters, and bartenders (ESPECIALLY MY BARTENDERS) are polite and friendly. Cranky mechanics? Good Lord! If I demanded happy friendly mechanics, I might never get my oil changed.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bring three quarts of my own oil and ask they use only that and I'll top it off at home. Hasn't been overfilled since.

18. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Another reason why we introverts change our own oil. :)

PA P

19. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Aug 29 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]503883[/snapback]</div>
    I absolutely agree that there was no reason to drain all of the oil. I think that the guy was just trying to make a big deal out of everything because he thought I was being anal. Thanks for the encouragement of changing the oil; I have no doubt I can do it, but had not done it up until now because there was no place to do it where I previously lived. Now that I'm in a better place, I very well may try it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 29 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]503901[/snapback]</div>
    This is a little much for me. I generally do my best to be a nice guy and treat people with respect and give them the benefit of the doubt, but after the way I was treated by the mechanic, there's no way I'm sending them donuts. If he had "made it right" without being obnoxious, I would have happily followed your suggestion. And Dunkin Donuts are absolutely not an acceptable substitute for Krispy Kremes :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Aug 29 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]503916[/snapback]</div>
    As other people pointed out, I felt like I had paid them $30 for a service and I wanted it to be done right. Also, I wanted to see if they would acknowledge their error and fix it; as far as I'm concerned, realizing your error and fixing it is possibly even more important to me that doing it right the first time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 29 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]503964[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that oil does expand that much, but it's worth pointing out that the distance from the dealer to my house is ~0.25 miles, not enough for the engine to heat up all that much. I did check my oil when I got home the second time and it was at the same point on the dipstick as it was at the dealer; I was curious about that, too.

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenJohnny @ Aug 29 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]504025[/snapback]</div>
    A good barmaid has my beer on the bar before my butt is on the stool.

I vote for bitchy mechanic. I suspect they are overpriced but you may want to give them 1 more chance. Next time ensure "3.5 quarts" or "3.5 l" or whatever makes you happy is written on the work order. Let the service writer know you will inspect the car immediately after the service and complain if it isn't done right.

If they can't get the little stuff right how in h*** are they going to fix something serious?