1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You really have to get 3.9 quarts from dealer for oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by greybeard, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: You really have to get 3.9 quarts from dealer for oil ch

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(removeum\";p=\"82425)</div>
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11035296...G050-04/50.html

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you in arrears :_>

Addressing a point in the original post: it is reported that the service manual does say to use 3.9 quarts, but that appears to be an error in that it does not account for the quantity of old oil which remains in the engine. (From the owner's manual, 3.9 quarts is the capacity of the system plus filter. Nobody is gonna wait for *all* of it to drain out, never mind the possibility that some amount remains trapped in low spots.)

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rwlade\";p=\"82758)</div>
    I would just wait till the first service is due. No need to do it any sooner. Is no harm it that.

4. Ralphmc

Ralphmc Mr Hybrid

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hello Folx,

My almost one year old 2004 Prius (on April 23rd) was delievered from factory with an 1/2 inch over top mark. And not knowing the difference I drove it that way until 2 months down the road. - So it is utmost important to check the oil level when you take delievery!

Then all dealers - yes even the best ones have the Oil - over fill problems.
    In the next 2 services since my taking the delivery of the car every time the Dealers - Services Center managed to overfill it by nearly the same amount.

Now in a about 8 days it will be time to take her in for the 15K check up & oil change too, so we will see if they have finally learned.

The gas consumption - did change every time - I am now at a lifetime average of 55.6 MPG (including cold days) and am seeing it go above my best of last years sommer months.

Stay on top of it, it is VITAL - and can cause some wired error codes as well.

Ralph

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

:idea: Just changed to Mobil-1 5W-30 from original dino oil at 9906 miles. (Bought my Prius used with 5,000 mile service already done) I had my independent mechanic change the filter and put 3½ qts in and give the other ½ to me in the bottle. Dipstick showed barely below the "full" dimple. Actually, I would have preferred to have only 3 qts. Still haven't driven enough to notice any difference in mpg... but I can hope.

I avoided my dealer (Dallas TX) due to reports of over filling.

6. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Ralphmc\";p=\"83155\")</div>
    Wow! That is the highest LMPG that I have ever heard of. I'm really impressed. A tip of my hat to you sir.