1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured You Will Never Quite Own Your BMW Hybrid...

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kenmce, Jul 3, 2020.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    BMW is planning on using the Tesla model where you pay a little extra each month if you want your heated seats or your cruise control, or you auto-dimming high beams or "the good suspension" to keep working... Really, you are just renting those things, they are not considered part of the car. Supposed to start with the 2021 iNext, the upcoming BMW long range full electric SUV.

Heated seats as a service? BMW wants to sell car features on demand | Ars Technica

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay /s

I love Tesla for pushing for EVs, I don't like them to sprouting the idea of subscription-based features. Services? sure. Features? No. The buyer gets screwed over at the resale end.

Of course most BMW "buyers" are leasees so it really doesn't matter to them and the manufacturer wins because they can continue to sell the "base" model with everything "deleted" and resell it on the used car market.

And at some point, technology moves on and then what happens to those cars? They get permanent fixed into whatever setting they were last changed to? Because the technology that gives the car the ability to update OTA is now obsolete.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What Tesla features require a subscription fee?

Tuners can already make changes to the car's operating parameters, and have them be invisible to dealer inspection. I see this move by BMW sprouting a new service market.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is weird as a Model 3 owner, I've never had a monthly charge. I was offered an cell based, monthly service, ~$10/mo/, but I declined as my iPhone can easily be a portable, WiFi, hotspot.

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This is a fee like free super charging ... or free for awhile. Incentives given / taken away w/in a certain time frame bring some buyers to the table.
    Tesla starts charging $10 a month for its 'premium connectivity' features - Electrek

as a side note ~ the car's web browser, as a premium feature is borderline humerus. Most 5 year old phone browsers are way more robust / responsive than the Tesla on board version. Maybe MCU 3 is better than the 2 earlier ones - but that is not something owners are clamoring to write about.

#5 hill, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Web connectivity isn't an equipment based car feature, it is a service. It has costs to the provider external to the car; network access, server maintenance, etc. BMW is making things like heated seats, active cruise control, and adaptive suspension subscription based.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the warning. My out of warranty BMW i3-REx will never darken the BMW service department again.

Bob Wilson

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking FSD that they were going to move to a subscription-based format (hence "sprout the idea of").

They do have subscriptions right now for Premium Connectivity but that's along the same lines as Toyota charging for Service Connect or Remote Connect or WiFi Connect services.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That could be acceptable as the improvement of the system comes from data incoming from cars on the road. That network carries the same expense for the company as offering a connective service. Other companies will also have the expense of mapping roads, and maintaining the maps.

10. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Trollbait, BWilson, I was wrong. I was referring to this:

Tesla Yanks Features After Sale | PriusChat

It was a one-time fee, not a recurring fee. I don't seem to be able to correct the original post. Mea Culpa.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thought that was the case.

Tesla removes features from cars they get back; trade ins, returns, etc.; before reselling them as used. In the above case, a mistake was made, and features were removed after the car left their possession. They did eventually turn the removed features back on.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    many of us here have installed seat heaters on our earlier Prius that didn't have them. Are BMW owners so simple-minded that this is beyond them?

13. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The article said seat heaters, but it may actually be one of those package deals where the steering wheel, seats, and wing mirrors are all heated. Any of us could do a heated seat, but things like duplicating the active suspension may be a little harder...

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Cheaper to hack the software, and unplug the cellular antenna.

15. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a problem in that it may be a felony to hack their software, even if you (you think) own the car:

“...Two of Electronic Frontier Foundations requests this year are on behalf of people who need to access the software in cars so they can do basic things like repair, modify, and test the security of their vehicles,” says Kit Walsh of the EFF. “Because Section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act prohibits unlocking ‘access controls’—also known as digital rights management (DRM)—on the software, car companies can threaten anyone who needs to get around those restrictions, no matter how legitimate the reason.”

Wth! It Should Not Be Illegal to Hack Your Own Car's Computer | WIRED

How much do you trust BMW to let you go around their paywalls?

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not at all as it has to do with my impression of their skills. I think BMW lobotomize their previous engineering and software teams. They can't make changes much less detect owners doing it by themselves.

Bob Wilson