1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You won't save much money by hypermiling

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PriusNeckBeard, Sep 30, 2016.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Updated header to first post:

If you work hard at hypermiling, you'll save about $130 per year. That's all.

__ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Original first post:

Hey just a thought.
    (experienced drivers, please chime in ..)
    You can save a lot of money by getting a Prius *especially vs an SUV or anything less than 30 mpg. However:

You won't save much money by managing miles per gallon tightly.

Here's some data to back that up:
    Try running standard numbers through the 'Gas savings calculator' tab' on this link:
    Gallons per Mile Calculator - Miles per Gallon and Gallons per 100 Miles

I plugged in:
    - 44 mpg (i.e. i.e. the worst gas mileage you could probably get in a Prius, if you didn't manage the gauges, etc AT ALL)
    - 15,000 miles per year
    - Gas: $2.50/gallon.

And then compared to:
    50 mpg (w/ 15,000 mpy, $2.50/gal gas).

To be clear:
    Gas costs per year are:
    (15,000/45) x $2.50 = $833.27
    Whereas,
    (15,000/50) x $2.50 = $750

You only save about $100 a year.

That's like 30 cents a day....

Maybe 10 cents a trip !!

Peanuts.

That's really not very much money for all the TIME you would put into watching gauges, etc.

Your earnings per hour watching gauges would be very low !!!!

It's better to literally spend your time doing ANYTHING ELSE for that period, given the personal and or financial value of time.

So, while I like the idea of saving money, managing the Prius' gas mileage is just not worth it to me.

The experienced posters around here say, 'just drive'.
    Well, I agree.

The wisdom of the crowd can be spot on.
    And in this case, there are numbers backing that up.

Now if you compare 45 or 50 mpg to 18-20 (my old SUV), or even to something a bit higher, the cost savings of moving to a Prius is AMAZING.

And if you multiply that by 10 years, and add up savings in not changing brakes, no transmission failures, etc over the years, Prius' pay for (or..almost pay for) themselves.

But managing those last few drops of gas does not.

Bottom line, we can get great gas mileage and save a lot of money driving the Prius.
    But there's not much financial incentive to optimize that.

The Prius manages the gas mileage for us just fine.

So, I guess the answer to saving money
    and using our time effectively is...

Just drive

!

#1 PriusNeckBeard, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    svrider, andusee, jcaprani and 5 others like this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in the old days....fabled and tinted in tones of sepia....when I owned a Prius...
    I use to tell Newbies to "Just Drive".
    Because I think the whole HSD design and software of a Prius is focused on returning fantastic gas mileage, while allowing drivers to actually ignore "hypermiling" techniques. If they wish.

Also especially when new to a Prius, I think trying to balance all the feedback The Prius provides PLUS think about a whole lot of hypermiling philosophies and techniques potentially dangerous.

Admittedly however, I was never a "hard core" hypermiler. The most I ever do or did was some pulse and glide, and simply learning to look ahead and try to predict future stop lights and maximize momentum.

However, I was impressed with how much even this simple adoption seemed to impact the fuel efficiency not so much of The Prius, but of the Non-Hybrid vehicles I drove....and am now driving.

But yes, my philosophy always was pretty much "Just Drive It".
    And the core justification was that I felt The Prius is efficient by default, as well as I think simply driving it as per normal in traffic, is also safer than focusing on hypermiling minutia.

3. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    i was gonna compare 44mpg vs 68mpg which I get with my 2010, and compare further with 78mpg which 2016 owners are getting.....but the calculator can go up only as high as 50mpg :confused: :notworthy:

RCO, Silver Pine Mica and fuzzy1 like this.
  4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Simple:
    If the average vehicle gets 20-25 mpg, and my Prius get 45-50 mpg... I'm spending half as much on gas, for the same gas price/miles per unit time.

arwalt86 likes this.
  5. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We're talking AVERAGE MPG not,freaky hypermiling or best mpg attained!!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with the o/p, but i would pay them to be able to hyper mile, so the hundred bucks is a bonus.(y)

7. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Correct!
    50 mpg gets you 300 gals/yr. (ie $750).
    25 gets you 600gals. ($1500).

RCO likes this.
  8. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One

Well that's:
    44 mpg --> 341 gals. --> $ 852/yr.
    68 mpg --> 221 gals. --> $ 552
    78 mpg --> 192 gals. --> $ 481.

Compared to my little plan,
    You're saving about a dollar a day (whatever..)
    Or , $3,000 over 10 years (well that sounds great, actually...!)

The yearly cost if gas formula is:
    (15,000 milesperyear/44 mpg) x $2.50

The new guys are spending more on new-car depreciation than the extra money they're saving on gas.

As to your 68 mpg:

Whooaa!!
    That is seriously awesome
    Tell us your secrets .. !!!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should have bought a corolla, who knew?

RCO likes this.
  10. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Let's say you don't hypermile and got 45mpg and 60mpg when you do hypermile.
    Now, I think most people would go insane if they had to hypermile for the life of the vehicle. However, If they combine normal driving and hypermile here and there, they'll probably get 55mpg.
    55mpg will save you over $1,000 per 100,000 miles vs 45mpg over the same distance assuming gas is at $2.50 average.
    I do agree with OP that driving a Prius will save a lot of money vs driving a pickup or an SUV.
    Imagine how much money this guy would have saved had he driven a Prius Million-mile Toyota Tundra owner given brand new truck - Autoblog

11. jadd806

jadd806 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    On the highway I just drive. Around town I try to play the maximum MPG game.

I do get several people angry with me on the highway due to how much space I leave, even though I am traveling the same speed as the traffic in my lane. I think the stigma of the Prius amplifies it. I live in Massachusetts where it is customary to drive 5 feet behind the vehicle in front of you when travelling 80 MPH. Coincidentally, I see accidents involving 3-5 cars roughly once a month on my commute. There would be a hell of a lot less traffic if drivers left more room and weren't constantly lighting up their brakes.

I try to focus on using regenerative braking as much as possible and save the friction brakes for emergency/unexpected stops. I am curious if I can make the friction brakes last for the life of the vehicle. If I cannot slow to a stop using mostly regenerative braking (provided the car in front of me brakes semi-normally), I do not consider myself to be at a safe following distance.

Other MA drivers seem to get angry that I'm not tailgating the car in front of me. Usually I will pick up a "buddy" or two who see what I am doing and follow suit. It's a much less stressful way to navigate my commute. Interestingly, my "buddies" tend to be other hybrid drivers or guys in really nice cars like BMW 7 series or a Porsche.

evenstar, skayaks, RCO and 2 others like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure why an online calculator is needed for such simple math questions.
    I started hypermiling in a car that was previously giving 25 mpg normally, 27 if I was very careful. When gas shot to about $4.50/gallon, I discovered ScanGauge, then Uncle Wayne [Gerdes]. Between the gauge and Wayne's methods, I saved enough fuel alone to recover the ScanGauge's full list price ($175) within 6000 miles. Then more savings in maintenance, tires, and blood pressure medication started materializing later.

The later change to a Prius was not enough reason to quit doing what was learned previously.
    I disagree. Drivers should be spending their time on driving activities, not personal or income-producing activities. Those distractions are likely the major reason behind the 18% increase in traffic fatalities in the past two years.

Proper hypermiling technique is also focused on maintaining and improving safety, not distracting from it.

For those of us who were salaried, and are now retired, that time behind the wheel was not subtracting from income-producing time. The same applies to the majority of the population.

RCO and kenoarto like this.
  13. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fortunately, being retired, I can avoid the stress of the Freeways by choice. (It's a nerve-wracking rat race!)

Enjoying my new "Pre-Eye" more & more as the months pass. Just driving normally, allowing the hybrid system to do what it does... and very happy and thankful for any MPG over 40! :LOL:

I'm not counting calories. Just enjoying the drive.

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Math is pretty simple and yours is pretty flawed.
    1) Many Prius drivers get sub 40 or 30mpg tankfulls taking (short trips, using heaters or air conditioning).
    2) Gasoline has only recently come down to $2.50/gal. Average price for the last 5-10 years has often been $3.50 or $4.00.
    Plug that into your calculator. multiply it by 10-15 years, and then it does add up!
    If every driver had a Prius, did a little Pulse and Glide, our air would be cleaner, we would import less oil, and we would all save some real money.

#14 kenoarto, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    skayaks and RCO like this.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Silly numbers to start with 40-50mpg

On my gen2 I got 52mpgs
    On my gen 3 I got 62mpgs
    In my gen4 I'm getting 66.5mpgs and I don't hypermile

BTW what is the OPs definition of hypermiling?
    I don't

RCO likes this.
  16. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Those numbers arent silly when you're in a stop and go traffic with red lights that last up to 2 minutes and it's 110f outside so you have run the AC.

Starship_Enterprius likes this.
  17. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't hypermile keep it 75 mph and under, gas is cheap atm. Take too much time to get there if it's a long trip! Not worth a few bucks! I do hypermile my truck best I get maybe 12 mpg if not 7-9 mpg!

RCO likes this.
  18. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Speeding doesn't get you there much faster:
    Does Speeding Really Get You There Any Faster?

Blizzard_Persona and RCO like this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe not..... but it certainly does feel like it's quicker. And the mental satisfaction is not inconsiderable!!!

lar.smith42 likes this.
  20. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    55 MPH on DRCC pretty much for almost all of my last 3 tanks for me on my commute... Yup....on I95 :cool:

Doesn't take any effort, I get where I'm going safely and fast enough and I burn less gas in the process! I've been doing this commute for 5 yrs now and driving like a jackass gets me home maybe 2-5 mins faster. I have Sirius XM and really enjoy it so the extra 2-5 mins does not bother me, I sometimes even sit in my car post commute and finish listening to the talk radio segment or the song I was listening to..(y):whistle:

Edit: Plus I have to attempt to repent for all those 12mpg tanks with the old HEMI Ram(n):sick:....

Rmay635703, DonDNH and RCO like this.