1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Younger Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by toyotechwv, Feb 28, 2008.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had mine for a year now, recently turned 30. I didn't really love the styling at the time, but didn't hate it either. The reason I bought mine was because my 10 year old car with 180,000 miles on it broke down, it was always reliable but my repair would cost me more to fix then the car was technically worth. I was tired of it anyway as it was too small for the family but was a great going to work car steady 32 - 34 MPG and I was driving about 400 miles a week. when it broke down I had to pull out the old 1991 Explorer out of the garage which was our 3rd vehicle that we held on to for vacations, picking up larger items, and knowing that both of us were driving older cars it made sense to keep it as a spare. Anyway after about 6 weeks of driving it and barely getting 15 MPG I told the wife that at the gas prices there is no way we can afford for me to be driving this thing as a daily driver, we are just throwing the money away. I was interested in several vehicles from several different manufacturers, I had 2 main requirements because this vehicle was going to replace 2 vehicles. I needed something large enough to put our small family in on vacations, and I needed something that would also get great gas mileage. As I see it the Prius is the only one that meets those needs, and I have since fell in love with the styling. This car is amazing.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry young people but I'm crashing your party, lots a young-uns on the old buggers thread.

I bought the Prius because it has better point to point performance than any other car on the market, particularly when the points are over 800km apart and speed limits are observed.

Supposed performance cars might lead early on but at about the 550km mark when they stop for fuel the Prius takes a commanding and unbeatable lead.

3. anti-gas

anti-gas Reduce, Reuse and Conserve

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    RE: What is a Used 2008 Prius Package 6 Worth?

Divots, I can tell you that here in South FL, a Used '07 / '08 Prius (any package) goes for at a dealer just about what a new one will cost. At the Auto Auctions, they are bringing very strong money around 15K-20K for a 2006. There are no '07 or '08's at the auto auction. I tried for 10 months to buy an '06 or an '07 Prius and could not. I could not make a deal at a dealer, that is if they had one and there were ZERO available privately. Ebay had many available but 99% of them all had salvage titles and less than 1/2 of the people selling those, even told you about it. You either had to specifically ask, or had to run a carfax on it yourself.

That being said, you are pretty much in the drivers seat to ask what you want for the car and get it, at least here in FL that is. I don't know how the market is in your area. The dealers here add 4K to 8K over sticker on these cars and they are getting it. A real rip off if you ask me. I'm a tough person to sell to though. I don't pay over true cost on my cars. Luckily, I was able to buy my 2008 Package 5 w/NAV & Bluetooth out the door for under 27K. My guess is you can get over 27K via a private sale as your car has Leather and Sunroof and mine does not, and your cars cost is more than mine.

I hope that helps you a bit. Bottom line though, a car is only worth what someone is willing to give you for it, and if the Prius isn't marked up at the dealer for 4K+ over sticker and they are not getting it, then I would assume that your car is worth less in your area. The other issue is, it is hard to sell any car over a certain value privately because most people who have that much money to spend, will more than likely buy it new or from a dealer and the people that look to buy used, usually don't have that kind of money. It took me 10mos. to sell a '97 Toyota 4 Runner in 100% perfect condition because most people calling could not afford $7500 and the magic number for them was under $5K, however after turning down all the offers, I finally found one person with $$$ and got my price.

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought mine when I was 27.

I see quite a lot of older folks driving Prii in Ann Arbor.

So, 28 isn't 'old'? Tell that to an undergrad...

5. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought my first Prius 2+ years ago at the 3*10 years old ... convinced many of my friends and younger cousins who are mostly in their mid-twenties. 23-26 at the time. Most of us are on the East or West coast... New York, Massechusettes, Connetticut, California, Washington state.
    I think some of the younger generation is starting to feel the pinch that our resources are limitted - like most will probably not even receive social security... let alone have oil left to burn... Some of my friends' (those of us close or past our mid-30's) kid's are trying to convince their parents (my friends) to buy environmentally friendly and fuel effecient cars complaining that just because our generation was spoiled doesn't mean we have to spoil it for them and leaving them nothing. *heh* Geeez - silly 8yr olds... what do they know!? *halo*

6. justin858

justin858 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    24 in san diego. the friends are jealous... and they are gonna start making me drive everywhere :boink: HAHAHAHA

7. Hemi4Prius

Hemi4Prius Geek Girl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 31 - not "young" technically, but as I see other Prius drivers on the road, I see most of them in my area are usually over 50. But that could be because I live in a retirement/vacation town. :)