1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your 2010 Order and the Worsening Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Is it just us?
    A couple years ago, our 401K's and SEP's had an extra $45,000 in them, and, we have actually decreased our family income by 400% (if that doesn't make sense, don't ask). Being property owners (with actual equity ... a rare thing now days) in multiple states, with one completely paid off ... I'm thinking we're doing better than many. Now, here we are, wanting to buy a new car. Sheesh! Are we nuts?!? Yes, we can still do it (last 2 cars we paid cash) ... but just by the skin of our teeth.

Are there any other 2010 lust'ers ... planing to order out there ... that are hurtin' as much, or more than us ??
    I feel your pain, my bro's & sistahs.

2. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I'm certainly less well off than you. I had saved enough to pay cash for the difference in my trade in, for a new 2010, but now I'm not so sure that my job is secure. My boss says it is, but I'm not convinced. I think of the $$$ in terms of mortgage payments. I've decided to wait until summer to make a firm decision on buying the 2010 or holding out for the 2011 or 2012 with the new battery. My 2005 only has 44k miles on it. I so want that sun roof with solar panels.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm selling my Amazon stock grants (RSU's) as it vests to ensure it's liquid and that it doesn't tank to a less favorable price. Only way I'm paying cash this time around, but the job seems rather stable too, for now.

The 2002 is showing some age (components are showing age wear vs. mileage wear) and a bit cramped w/ a family of 5. That's good enough reason to upgrade for us. The 2004 will be traded in on a hybrid mini-van when one hits the market.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm hoping to get another job before I'm forced to sell my 07 Prius. Fortunately, its still worth more than I owe on it.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't just you. I went from semi-retired (i.e. working when I want, about half the time) to unemployed (this is the half I should be working, but got caught among the 600,000/month laid off), with not enough hours to qualify for unemployment. The 401ks are down by an unmentionable amount.

But the house was paid off long ago, because of fear of 'future' recession several economic cycles ago. The "new" car was paid off before the last century was out, allowing the "old" car (1986) replacement fund to fill up about five years ago. Though it still runs well, its safety is so far behind modern standards it is now scary.

I've been trying to cut resource consumption for several years. Water use was slashed. Home energy has been harder to cut, but a new high efficiency heat pump is helping more than previous improvements. Hypermiling and more biking have incrementally cut transportation energy use, but a 2010 Insight/Prius would slash it. With car prices held down by lack of buyers and the economy needing a stimulus, this seems like the best time to be buying.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i am in a position where the need to get the Pri is not dire. the Zenn still works for the commuting. my 06 is not worn out by any means.

so looking at several financing options. i had already planned on a purchase (was hoping for highway capable EV with 100 mile range) but in CD that mature in july 2010.

so, either i will get the 2010, finance it until next year. then pay it off when CD matures and sell the 06 (have family member willing to buy but they can only make payments which is ok. there is no trust issues here) and then take extra from CD to get EV which hopefully will be better options available by then.

or just keep 06 and wait until next year and get 2011 plug in which will work, but rather get a better EV option.

now, with the Green Auto option of a converted RAV 4 EV, that complicates matters a bit, but that is the EV i have wanted. granted, not looking for an SUV, but the additional space would be pretty nice to have and its 100% EV. but the cost means i would have to wait until next year and still have to come up with about $10,000 more

as far as employment goes. i never feel secure in any job. having had to change careers a few times before, i never feel like i have a future doing anything. so only time will tell

only one thing to add.

hard times means great bargains. hoefully, with a possible reduction in price of the 2010 with the PCD discount, it will be a deal just too good to pass up

7. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hill, we are in the exact same boat. We can totally afford it but are worried about the economy and wondering if we shouldn't hold some cash back in case I lose my job or need to help out family.

Maybe it has something to do with spending out time in the Flathead :)

G

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I never thought we'd look back & regret plunkin' $35K on PV rooftop panels (preping for the EV's that they keep promising) a few months ago ... but I have to admit, as the financial thumb screws tighten down, I think about that. If the bottom had dropped out just a couple months earlier, we'd have held up on that expense. Isn't hindsight wonderful. But yes, thankyou for reminding me that hard times may make for a sweet auto deal.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, now you are getting carried away. you starting to sound like all the neighsayers who think that we can fix our financial situation without spending any money.

well, that aint gonna happen. our underlying financial issues are greatly aggravated by the fact that we are held hostage by foreign oil interests. what you have done is to help us escape that debt. i applaud your commitment. do not regret it, you did the right thing.

now, granted, being on the bleeding edge of any technology can be tough. but you will help others to see the validity of the choice.

10. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Everyone wants their neighbor to start spending more money, but people are looking out for their own financial security, and rightly so. Our leaders may not have the answers, and they may be making things even worse. People talk about saving for a rainy day, but maybe shoring up for the flood might be more appropriate.

More power to all those who have the means or take the risk to venture out and plunk down $30k on a new car. I'm going to wait and reassess this fall. We'll see what deals are out there. I'm feeling pretty confident that even the Hot New Prius will be selling below MSRP this year. Glad I didn't pre-order.

11. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mirak, I agree. Those who made money during the depression had money to begin with. Those who had debt lost everything.... of course if we end up with massive inflation those with money in the bank will be the losers so flip a coin I guess. Ultimately too much worry doesn't help anything and if it isn't going to cost me too much to upgrade I will do it and consider it my part to help out the economy. Thats what I tell myself :) You can all thank me when everything turns around hehe

G

12. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here a good rule, if in doubt, don't do it.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

I'm thankning the Wright Brothers for ignoring you on that one. Columbus too. I'm hoping to get a big fat down payment from our '04 to use on the 2010, because the HOV stickers still seem to get a premium ... even in these hard times. It's got 80k miles on it, but we got the extended warranty. That always entices buyers too.